2019 Speed Series Regulations

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

46 minutes ago, S2T said:

I see so within Class F there is a Road Going category and Modified production....in that case it makes sense, though in the Regs couldnt see that mentioned. I am entering multiple Championships so am preparing it to minimise any changes to the car per Championship

Class F caters for cars that are eligible for both road going and modified production based on the tyre that is fitted (1C or either 1A/1B)

Thank you John

If you dont mind I thought I would attach a pic of my car for discussion. I noticed Adam had made comment about using 6.5"+ headlights which rule is that referenced to? So my Busa is standard save for a few tweaks, it will be taxed and have its MOT, I have had no issues entering as road going in sprints and Time Attack type events. So just to highlight a few modifications from the top I have a single screen on at the moment but will change that to a double bubble (dont know why you insist on that as most regs refer to silhouette...anyway not a problem. I have 4.5" Dominator lights on with side/main/full beam, are you suggesting I need to change these to 6.5"?. Rear Diffuser presently aluminium but changing to carbon fibre doesnt protrude more than 100mm. Tonneau in a flexible material, have acquired a GRP seat which I will fit underneath and will be securely bolted to vehicle. Will have seatbelts fittted though on passenger side will be the standard acrodd the chest road type. On drivers side 5 point harness. Front splitter from memory doesnt protrude more than 75mm from nosecone.

So as it stands with the changes planned mentioned above will this be eligible for Road Going Class F |(will be using 1b tyres)

41442387_263429617618169_4072825823604768768_o.jpg

11 hours ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

It would be interesting to know people's thoughts on the continued use of list 1C tyres in our championship.This was done as people has existing tyres etc and did not want to reduce their times by using list 1A or 1B in road going classes. This is certainly an issue that is not easy to resolve with our current system of Target Times when records were set on list 1C tyres in classes C, D,,E and F

It's not really difficult, we should carry on with our class structure that allows the use of 1C tyres as long as they are available from suppliers and as along as entrants want to use them.

When equivalent sizes of 1B tyres become available or entrants want to be competitive in other clubs events on the day then the use of 1C's may diminish!

Until that time the Regs should cater for entrants freedom of choice of the tyres that they are comfortable with. Just like we have the choice currently to use slicks instead  of 1A 1B & 1C tyres!

I do find it surprising that this topic has been raised at this time in the middle of considerable debate on other issues related to the 2019 Regs.

Could you clarify please?

Graham

Whats all the fuss about entering a different class? ( Roz, Swampy, Maurici etc)

You can then run your cars exactly as you please.

For instance. I will be running in 'Roadgoing ' on the day at events
On list 1B tyres.  So initially WSCC class A or B
However I have a dog box so that puts me in WSCC C , against people on List 1C.
But thats 'my problem' as I see it , I have the choice , either fit a syncro box ( I would if I had one) or live with it

• Like 1

I think its the nature of entering a competitive event, Stu. In some minds (mine included, although this is softening as I age) there is no point competing if you aren't going to be competitive! Might as well spend the same amount of cash and do 30x the amount of laps on a track day.

Yes I see Adam
But in my opinion the main factors are
Power/weight
Grip/handling

Lights/seats/even MOT etc have very little bearing
Especially when you can enter A/B with a £50K car with carbon everything , 300hp etc
Personally I dont see the problem with a Bag type seat, and the original Westy seats were just squabs - who cares
But I do think Roadgoing should have lights

I think Adam is correct. From my point of view as a potential new entrant to the Series I am just wishing clarification . There are 2 rounds of the Sprint Series at Knockhill this year so I thought I would show face south of the border and do several events. However there is no point in me doing 800 mile round trips for 16 minutes of tracktime over a weekend when I potentially could find myself up against significantly more competitve cars. My plan at the  moment for 2019 is to do all the Super Lap Scotland rounds, a couple of UK Time Attack rounds both these events I will have close on an hour tracktime per day. A few of the local Scottish Sprint Series. Then I have a decision to make it will be either competing in the Westfield Sprint Series or what appears to be a less finickity Javelin Sprint Series

I think these details make a big difference actually, 15kg (a set of lights and wiring, full passenger seat) on a 600kg car+driver combo is 0.25s per minute, or 0.5 points at Blyton Outer. That's without the drag factor of a high backed seat and the lights.

What was that this year, the difference between 1st and 4th in the overall championship, or 5th, 6th?

I completely agree a road going car should actually be road going!  :t-up:

S2T
The WSCC regs/classes have no bearing or control over your class on the day at an event.
Some events lump all the kit cars together regardless of engine /tyres etc

As I see it-
The SSOT are just trying to offer classes to group similar performance together.
The classes offered do this quite well.
It would be simpler just to follow the MSA/ event classes, split Roadgoing  and Mod prod but that would put alot at more of a dissadvantage I think

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, S2T said:

Thank you John

If you dont mind I thought I would attach a pic of my car for discussion. I noticed Adam had made comment about using 6.5"+ headlights which rule is that referenced to? So my Busa is standard save for a few tweaks, it will be taxed and have its MOT, I have had no issues entering as road going in sprints and Time Attack type events. So just to highlight a few modifications from the top I have a single screen on at the moment but will change that to a double bubble (dont know why you insist on that as most regs refer to silhouette...anyway not a problem. I have 4.5" Dominator lights on with side/main/full beam, are you suggesting I need to change these to 6.5"?. Rear Diffuser presently aluminium but changing to carbon fibre doesnt protrude more than 100mm. Tonneau in a flexible material, have acquired a GRP seat which I will fit underneath and will be securely bolted to vehicle. Will have seatbelts fittted though on passenger side will be the standard acrodd the chest road type. On drivers side 5 point harness. Front splitter from memory doesnt protrude more than 75mm from nosecone.

So as it stands with the changes planned mentioned above will this be eligible for Road Going Class F |(will be using 1b tyres)

41442387_263429617618169_4072825823604768768_o.jpg

Class F is the most suitable as its a bike engine car and in road going form (tyres, lights etc)

3 minutes ago, John said:

Class F is the most suitable as its a bike engine car and in road going form (tyres, lights etc)

Is it Ok using the splitter and diffuser in road going?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, S2T said:

Is it Ok using the splitter and diffuser in road going?

Yes

13 hours ago, woodman said:

Why are some so against having lights in A/B?

Also I thought you had to have lights to run in 'Roadgoing' ( 2a, B1 etc) on the day , ?

We do not have a problem about whether or not lights are required, as this is down to the SSOT, just the fact that the wording on the regs is incorrect,  you can not say daylight MOTS are not allowed as there is no such thing.  As it is part of my day job, reg's should be clear and factually correct, so it is better to say that working lights are required.  Understand this has now been sorted so no problem;).

Just to clarify if it is legal to run we have an email from the BARC who checked this out with the Chief Scrutineer last year and said as long as we were taxed, insured and MOT'ed we are legal to run in road going. This has never been questioned by a scrutineer.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Roz said:

Just to clarify if it is legal to run we have an email from the BARC who checked this out with the Chief Scrutineer last year and said as long as we were taxed, insured and MOT'ed we are legal to run in road going. This has never been questioned by a scrutineer.

I'm afraid that it appears he was not correct as this contradicts the blue book - Section J 5.14.4 (unless the event regulations that you entered under stated that they could be specifically removed)

5.14.4. With the exception of racing cars, or cars of Periods A to C, have headlights in normal working order with glasses of minimum 182.5 sq cm each unless SRs permit their removal