2019 Speed Series Regulations

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

PLEASE SEE NEW TOPIC FOR FINAL REGS posted by Terry Everall

Here is the draft copy of the regulations that are going to Motorsport UK.

Please see thread

many thanks

Panda

Thanks for posting that John. There are no real changes to classes but some nice cash prizes ( as well as trophies) so that should prove popular. Clarification on only Radial ply tyres being allowed, full MOT for Road Going classes etc and the seat situation explained and will apply from 2019 . Hopefully the Regs should be approved by Motorsport UK fairly quickly so please get your Registrations done asap.

Thanks John couple of observations

Cash prizes next to the awards but then in the next line it says no cash prizes will be given.

Also I know one car that won't come out this season due to the exclusion of day time MOT's in class A+B. Is that needed/step too far. I thought we were trying to keep as many competitors as possible and attract new ones as well.

All good work by the SSOT well done 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, syman84 said:

Thanks John couple of observations

Cash prizes next to the awards but then in the next line it says no cash prizes will be given.

Well spotted. Good job they are draft

• Like 1

please look at post #1 updated to v2

With regard to Symans comment -if they only have a daylight MOT then surely they can just run in C/D instead of A/B ?

Most of the cars in C/D are very similar to A/B.

John's link to Draft 2 of the Regs shows 2017 in the document footer.  The struck through link to the first Draft shows 2019

Keith

Should 3.2.4 allow carbon as well as GRP seats ?? Probably Kevlar too? Or Does the material even need to be specified beyond it being a rigid shell descrete from the vehicle floor and bulkhead? 

Any issue with half height vs full height seats? 

• Like 2

I am not wanting to be controversial but am I the only one who considers the addition of cash prizes a negative step? I can't see it influencing participation, imho cheapens / doesn't reflect the sporting nature of a club competition  and the money could possibly be better used to promote the series, attract novices or to back events building the spirit of the series. 

David 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Keith the Teeth said:

John's link to Draft 2 of the Regs shows 2017 in the document footer.  The struck through link to the first Draft shows 2019

Keith

i'll change before submission

8 hours ago, XTR2Turbo said:

I am not wanting to be controversial but am I the only one who considers the addition of cash prizes a negative step? I can't see it influencing participation, imho cheapens / doesn't reflect the sporting nature of a club competition  and the money could possibly be better used to promote the series, attract novices or to back events building the spirit of the series. 

David 

David,

On the basis that other championships seem to not have any negative effects from awarding cash prizes (Longton in particular) we see no issue. It was aimed as an incentive to encourage more participation

John

I can see where it's come from, a nice ideal :yes:

However, it has been said many times (mostly in reply to my posts regarding ideas for how to try and get newbies in :laugh:) that new people coming in cannot and should not expect to win, so I don't see how cash prizes will entice / encourage them. To me, it seems it will just help to line the pockets of those already heavily invested. As David says, chucking - say - a £650 at hiring Curborough for the day, letting potential entrants turn up and have a few laps for free, then giving a couple of people, say, £100 each for their time to rock up and offer advice may help give a few more people the bug? Just an idea.

A question, will the target times for classes A and B be adjusted or completely wiped and start again? The new regs mean cars will need to be 10-15kg heavier in theory (full daytime MOT and a 'proper' passenger seat), plus the added drag of front lights. That's at least 0.25s per minute by my calculations - perhaps more as I haven't done any drag calculations in reference to fitting lights - or in points terms about 0.5 points at Blyton Outer, for example.

I will need to sit down and have a careful look at the regs before deciding what to do this year. To me it feels like there is a really great intent from those involved, and I admire the thought and time that goes into this, but it feels like things are going in the 'wrong' direction.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AdamR said:

I can see where it's come from, a nice ideal :yes:

However, it has been said many times (mostly in reply to my posts regarding ideas for how to try and get newbies in :laugh:) that new people coming in cannot and should not expect to win, so I don't see how cash prizes will entice / encourage then. To me, it seems it will just help to line the pockets of those already heavily invested. As David says, chucking - say - a £650 at hiring Curborough for the day, letting potential entrants turn up and have a few laps for free, then giving a couple of people, say, £100 each for their time to rock up and offer advice may help give a few more people the bug? Just an idea.

A question, will the target times for classes A and B be adjusted or completely wiped and start again? The new regs mean cars will need to be 10-15kg heavier in theory (full daytime MOT and a 'proper' passenger seat), plus the added drag of front lights. That's at least 0.25s per minute by my calculations - perhaps more as I haven't done any drag calculations in reference to fitting lights - or in points terms about 0.5 points at Blyton Outer, for example.

I will need to sit down and have a careful look at the regs before deciding what to do this year. To me it feels like there is a really great intent from those involved, and I admire the thought and time that goes into this, but it feels like things are going in the 'wrong' direction.

canofworms.jpg

• Haha 1

Seats can be Factory, GRP, Carbon Fibre, Kevl;ar , Titanium etc with a a Rigid Shell. So long as there is a head restraint to go with a low height seat then that's fine

• Like 1