Eivind

New Zetec - no cover for flywheel?

Hi

I am building a FW SE this winter, and the big moment of installing the engine is getting close.

As I inspected the engine, I saw that the flywheel is quite exposed from the front - should there be a cover keeping grit and small dogs out? Am I missing a vital part here? If I am missing something, I would need to fix this before installing the engine. Any advice welcome.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_385f.jpg

Shouldnt there be a shim plate between the engine and gearbox ? Something like this ?

shims-192.JPG.eedb985658479a84a3895d5c9097f834.JPG

Or you may need to make something with a cardboard stencil (CAD cardboard aided design) and then some alloy plate.

shims-192.JPG

Thanks. So, I need one of those plates. Looks like the Mondeo plate is doable without a full split of engine and bellhousing?

Westfield don't fit anything on their Zetec engine cars.  I haven't got one fitted and the only person I know who's had a problem competed in Class R of the MCC Exeter Trial after storms the preceding week and picked up debris from the middle of the road that jammed his clutch arm.  If the roads in Norway aren't well swept you might be better to fit one.

• Haha 1

Thanks, Jon! I definitely would feel better knowing I have one. Off to the Ford dealer on Monday, then :-)

I noticed the same on my engine.  thought at the time it didn't look right, but saw other engines the same so didn't give it any more thought.  my engine is in now, gonna bug me now I have seen this post.  

Can't you just make a plate of aluminium / steel and bolt it in place with that spare threaded hole?

Very nicely done .

42 minutes ago, Four Greens said:

I had the same concerns with my build. I made this plate as suggested earlier. 

2D94A648-BD59-4082-AC9C-2978290C5197.jpeg

Looks good, I might go for that solution, since carparts prices in Norway are exorbitant.