andyj007

i need an x1 in my life

Hi guys, ive hankered after an x1 for many years, vintage racing, cars, & simplicity engineering has interested me since as long as i can remember.. 

i first became aware of x1 through top gera a few years back...  it raced a porsche replica? and had one on my desirable wish list since then...

i keep seeing lotus 11 at goodwood or at car shows and its really just egging me on....

ive stalked this forum for too long to mention, have looked at all the x1 that came to sale, over the last 2 years or so..  i nearly pulled the trigger on the black one currently for sale by mole valley cars when it was significantly cheaper at giles automotive a coupe of years back.. also i tried to buy the one recently sold at paul matty but they never returned my calls so it put me off a bit to chase them...

i currently have a 2001 lovely  s2 elise and a 2010 evora.  im now thinking perhaps i should realise my dream..  purchase an x1, i would need to offload 1 to make it happen..  i know i can sell the elise very quickly as its unige and totally mint..  the evora whilst immaculate is in the price range it would best to go via a dealer via sor.. if the right car cam along i could buy then sell (or not :) but may = no wife)  one or  the other  

ive priced up to build one form scratch, but ive previously done the classic car rebuild thing, and i just dont have the current time allowance, with running a business, so im far more at this life stage  to acquiring one that i can maintain mod etc or an unfinished project?? ..  budget wise i guess looking at what has sold and asking what for over the last  few years i was thinking 16 -18k... 

any advice from the forum? or of ones for sale in my price bracket?

thank you, i have seen  StephenHs one on the for sale board.. sadly it is a little over my budget.. at the moment..  

2 hours ago, andyj007 said:

thank you, i have seen  StephenHs one on the for sale board.. sadly it is a little over my budget.. at the moment..  

I'm open to offers.;);)

Seriously, if you live anywhere near the north midlands or if you pass this way from time to time, you are welcome to come and have a look at mine on a no commitment basis. And if it isn't wet, and there isn't salt on the roads, I would happily take you for a run out, just so you could have a better idea of the pros and cons of these vehicles, and you could have a basis for comparing other XIs.

I won't be pushing my sale until we get a bit nearer to spring, then it will go on Piston Heads, and be "bumped" on this boardroom. I only put my advert on here when I did at the suggestion of the boss of a second hand high performance car dealer, because just occasionally someone might have had a very generous Christmas bonus, and be thinking of an expensive "discretionary" purchase. 

I do indeed have one for sale, but found being in Newcastle on Tyne a bit of a problem for people to see it. So it's with Damon Milnes of Trevor Farringdon, who are in Knutsford and far easier for people to get to. link below.

https://www.trevorfarrington.co.uk/2018-westfield-xi/

3 hours ago, Nick - Joint North East AO said:

I do indeed have one for sale, but found being in Newcastle on Tyne a bit of a problem for people to see it. So it's with Damon Milnes of Trevor Farringdon, who are in Knutsford and far easier for people to get to. link below.

Having seen this one close up I can say that the build is Superb!

207AB486-4187-48F5-9540-9073454678E9.jpeg

6A250853-10C2-4434-8B37-C1A38E020779.jpeg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nick - Joint North East AO said:

My parents are just around the corner to Trevor Farrington, been to ‘lambing shed’ a number of times too! Isn’t it odd how it’s so easy to miss things on your door step!

Fabulous car BTW. Will make a point to take a look next time I’m there!

Andy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Greenstreak-Andy D said:

My parents are just around the corner to Trevor Farrington, been to ‘lambing shed’ a number of times too! Isn’t it odd how it’s so easy to miss things on your door step!

Fabulous car BTW. Will make a point to take a look next time I’m there!

Andy

He has a lot of interesting cars in there, always worth a look, some great historic racers. But superb resoration set-up with a lot of experience.

Thanks for the compliment on the car, I wouldn't be selling, but I have a few too many at the moment :d as the NE guys know.

5 hours ago, Nick - Joint North East AO said:

I wouldn't be selling, but I have a few too many at the moment :d as the NE guys know.

... understatement of the year :d

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies,  both the two cars presented in this thread look fantastic..

i will move specific questions over to pm.. 

i have read on more than one occasion about the cockpit being a bit cramped.. being 6ft (slim build) it would be good to know im going to be able to fit.

The car would only be used for local sunday &  summer evening drives, pretty much what all use the elise for..   although the prospect of of taking it on the track/hillclimb  appeals, if the performance was adequate..  if only to dream of club racing in the late 50s in an 11 :)     

being essentially home build cars, specifications will differ considerably between builds. so ive been trying to work out what kind of performance the cars would roughly produce based on on power to weight...   any one have any specifics?

My Eleven weighed 515 kgs on the corner weights and 84 bhp on the rolling road at Slark Race Engineering.  I was advised that with some porting the engine  was easily capable of producing 100+ bhp which is what Stephen's and Simon's cars both produce.

Whilst the car doesn't have the stop/go performance of my SEIW it's capable of keeping up with other Westfields on a run out and suited to the 'Sunday & Summer evening drives' you're planning.  I took mine to this years Le Mans Classic and completed 6 'parade' laps and also to Shelsey Walsh where I did about a dozen 'fun' runs up the hill.

Shelsey Walsh

Le Mans Classic

A couple of videos, Tricia was in the car with me at Shelsey and it was only 2 weeks before the trip to Le Mans.  The lap at Le Mans is 8.5 miles and the video times it at just over 8 minutes so an average of around 64 mph to put the performance into perspective.

At 5'7" I can't really comment on size but I believe my 6'er (non-slim) son fitted in - he's away at Uni so I can't confirm.

Summary of my car's spec.

Engine 1380cc with lots of MED goodies restored and rebuilt by Hurley Engine Services, Bath.
Gearbox Ford Type 9 with MFK long 1st (2.98:1), standard MG Midget 3.9:1 rear axle .
Fuel delivery HIF44 with MED Stack, Maniflow Manifold, Facet Red Top pump with Filter King regulator.
Ignition Megajolt Lite with Ford EDIS4/Coil Pack with NGK B8ES spark plugs.
Wheels and tyres Minilite 7J x 13 with Dunlop StreetResponse Tyres 155/80R13.
Brakes

Front cross drilled/slotted discs with EBC 'Green Stuff' pads, rear standard Midget drums.

• Like 1

Regarding your question about fitting into the car, I am 6ft and, not slim, 15stone.

The fit is fine for height and feel like you are sitting in the car, any taller would be a problem.

Being built for comfort (me), makes it s bit tight width wise but perfectly fine for driving.

As you have probably noticed from the build threads, I used a Zetec engine which made 183bhp,

this was mated to a 4speed dog box and 4.5 ratio rear axle with 3J driveline half shaft and LSD.

with this level of performance, the car was let down by using the Midget brakes, so were changed

to the 4 pot KAD callipers.

At the moment I am changing to a 1700 Crossflow which I bought from a member on here and is 

having some performance changes carried out which I hope will make about 170hp.

My car has no carpets etc, but does have the ROPs and a fire extinguisher system but I can't remember

what it weighs, but is quite nippy and even with the reduce hp of the Crossflow would expect it

to be of similar performance compared to the Zetec, as the Crossflow is a bit lighter.

When I put the Zetec in, I knew I'd have to cut the bonnet, which caused me a bit of hard thinking

but with the crossflow and probably a dry sump, It will allow an un butchered bonnet to be used.

It will also allow me to enter a non post historic class in the French hill climbs I do.

So having said all that, I don't think you would regret acquiring an Eleven but for normal road use, you

would probably want a 5 speed box and careful choice of springs and dampers.

I hope my ramblings will be of use.DSC_0365.thumb.JPG.d841fd365ad2777d9dfa10d5300808e7.JPG

• Like 1

I think that as a trial membership only, you can't do pms? Correct me if i am wrong.

My car has around 110 bhp, and plenty of mid-range grunt, allowing that it is only 1330 cc. and is basically a 50 odd year old engine design. That makes it quite lively, with only about 530kg. kerbside weight. It means (looking at the power to weight ration) that the acceleration at normal brisk public road speeds, is comparable to, say, a basic Porsche Boxter, and quite a bit quicker than my wife's 2 litre MX5. The Hi-Spec. all round disc brake setup on my car gives modern standards of braking, in my opinion. I did a few laps of the Blyton track at the WSCC weekend last summer, during the trackday, and had no trouble getting well over 90 mph indicated, on the back straights, which if you don't know Blyton aren't very long..

But you really need to ride in the cars to appreciate the feel of them.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Just to add a few comments of my own into the mix...

I am just about to start on the build of mine and had been procrastinating over standard/ non-standard parts for many weeks. I am not new to kit cars, my first kit car being a Dutton Phaeton many years ago.

Probably in the same vain as you, once daily responsibilities grew I had less and less time to invest in the hobby. About 7 years ago I also bought a Lotus Elise S2, only 120 bhp but still pretty sprightly and as fast as you like around bends in the road! Although I really liked the car in terms of its drivability and looks, I'm a bit of a tinkerer and the only work I was able to do on the car was to replace a anti-roll bar drop link. I didn't feel any real attachment to the car and I certainly didn't know how it ticked mechanically which I found frustrating. I eventually sold it and bought a Golf R which, although not in the same league as the Elise in many ways, gives much better straight line performance with the benefit of being an excellent family car also.  

I drove the Westfield xi demonstrator about 15 years ago (they sadly don't have one any more) and promised myself I would buy one one day - and so I did!

In terms of fitting into one, I am 6' 1" and fit in just fine. There were no seat runners fitted to the car I sat in to maximise space, and I fitted like a glove. My knees didn't hit the steering wheel either (like they did on my short wheel base Marlin Roadster). I was taken for a ride in the passenger seat (106 bhp), and the performance was certainly entertaining, and that coupled with the cacophony of engine (and Weber 45) noise makes it quite an experience. Things are slightly more 'luxurious' for the driver as the head fairing smoothens out the air flow and the exhaust and carb are not on their side of the car (for the A-series). I have to say though that the Elise feels like a Bentley in comparison to the xi.

I am currently stripping down my donor MG which thankfully already has a modified A-series (larger ports; lumpy cam; lightened fly wheel; balanced crank etc.) so the power to weight ratio of my xi will still be approaching that of the Elise, but being much closer to the ground etc. etc. will make it feel twice as fast...

I have looked at alternative engines that fit under the very low bonnet but will keep the A-series initially for the sake of the IVA test. Height wise the Toyota 4-AGE twin cam will fit under the bonnet (23"), but what about the Motos (American) V4. The carb trumpets are a bit of a problem but...

v4-dimensions.jpg.392ffa728207b3fcb9ea2a67159abb7c.jpg

Cost wise, yes they appear second hand to be from £18k upwards (mine will cost between £18k and £19k) to build for a pretty standard example. The actual mechanics and electrics of the car are very simple indeed (i.e. no heater, no wipers, no ventilation, no proper doors etc. etc.), and an added benefit are the front and rear clams that just hook on at their hinge points so accessibility is just a tinkerer's heaven!

If you buy a fully built one, you can mod it at will in a short space of time given the access-all-areas!

• Like 1

morris, that is really a fantastic & helpfull read.. thank you! 

i have similar thoughts re the elise..   

will join the forum later to be able to contact people via PM.

andy

• Like 1