nice_guy

Gauge dilemma

Hello,

I'm considering replacing several seconday gauges, in order to get the same looks across the slab

Speedo & tacho look like being fished out of an old triumph. Seem to work, so they stay. 

:ZWZjM2FjNDhkYTZlNDE4Yzc2ODFjNWI5YzZjYzdi

The rest of them, well...

Will probably go for :

•  vdo "series 1"  if I can cope with farenheit/ replace the face
      51-tg8468SL._SX425_.jpg
  •  smiths (looks better though and would match the probably spitfire tacho & speedo, plus dual gauges option, but 10 volts and vdo fuel level sender replacement...)
  •  gd1310-00c078-538.png
  •  maybe etb gauges (vdo fuel sender compatible)...
  • OILTEMP_B_C_WP-228x228.jpg

Any feedback on these ? (I'm more interested in appearance / reliability / watertighness than absolute accuracy)

Should I go for a mechanical pressure / temperature system (and learn the unspeakable UNF/BSP threads language in order to bolt it on the xflow) or go electric sender ?

Any alternative (white hands / chrome bezel / black face) that I may have overlooked ?

Any advice / lessons learnt would be met with my most flamboyant gratitude...

You can buy temp gauges by VDO in centigrade.  You may have change the sender's to match the gauges and convert the Speedo drive from a mechanical cable to pulse sensor for an electric Speedo. All depends on the versions and brands you buy.

My vdo gauges are 20 years old and still look like new. They've been rained on, hot, damp and everything in between and still work with no faults. Westfield used them as original equipment and that seems a good decision. I also have Spa gauges and Elliott. These are all working well. Vdo senders are easy to get too as after 20 years they lost some accuracy.

No experience of smiths or etb. 

Cheers Jon 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SootySport said:

You can buy temp gauges by VDO in centigrade.  You may have change the sender's to match the gauges and convert the Speedo drive from a mechanical cable to pulse sensor for an electric Speedo. All depends on the versions and brands you buy.

Alas, the gauge style I'm looking for (chrome bezel, black face, white needle) is only farenheit --> https://www.vdo-gauges.com/instruments-displays-and-clusters/by-series/series-1/water-temperature.html

I think I'll keep speedo & tacho as they are, I think.

4 hours ago, 6carjon said:

My vdo gauges are 20 years old and still look like new. They've been rained on, hot, damp and everything in between and still work with no faults. Westfield used them as original equipment and that seems a good decision. I also have Spa gauges and Elliott. These are all working well. Vdo senders are easy to get too as after 20 years they lost some accuracy.

A very significant point... thanks a lot !

(spa look great, not cheap but digital. Tempted.)

THIS Elliott ?

image.png.7295ac0b5e66385fb86a5dd0ef04da26.png

(That would lead me to inquire about pitot tube location)

Phone ETB who supply and repair VDO stuff, they maybe able to change the face of the gauge to centigrade.   Very helpful chaps in Southend On Sea.