thebutler

Engineering Shop in the South East

Hi all,

I live in Greenwich, so South East London. Looking for recommendations for an engineering shop for block cleaning, resurfacing, honing, that kind of thing?

There are a few about, but a recommendation also goes a long way for me.

To add some context, I swapped out my 1.8 Silvertop for a ST170 lump off eBay last winter, changed the timing belt and it was good as gold for the year. In the never ending quest for more performance I've acquired a ported head by AL Developments, but when I've gone to swap it the block is quite badly pitted (see pic). So as usual the scope has creeped and I'd like to give the bottom end a refresh to match the now mint head. Plus I don't think the MLS head gasket would seal on the block for long as it is.

Any recommendations appreciated!

Cheers,

Steve

IMG_20181229_205155.jpg

CTM Performance in Dagenham I've used before for similar work.

• Like 1

Naismith Engineering Wimbledon are good in my experience. My son had a Peugeot 306XSi that span a big end shell and scored the crank. Naismith reground the crank and fitted all new shells and the car was as good as new. The used to prep short oval racing engines when Wimbledon Stadium was operating.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, with try CTM first I think as Wimbledon is an unpleasant drive from here.

CTM are pretty good from reports, a bit further afar but Burton Romford are very good and one that is up there with the best is Vulcan Engineering not far from Brands Hatch. IIRC they do all the engineering work for Harris performance who build some very quick Ford engines and are highly rated.

11 hours ago, jeff oakley said:

CTM are pretty good from reports, a bit further afar but Burton Romford are very good and one that is up there with the best is Vulcan Engineering not far from Brands Hatch. IIRC they do all the engineering work for Harris performance who build some very quick Ford engines and are highly rated.

Burton don't have their own machine shop anymore - they send their work to CTM.

There's is a great company in Sydenham I'll post their details tomorrow I don't have them to hand.... 

Vulcan are legends, and not too far from here. Interesting about Burton using CTM, certainly supports the quality of their work

Now I have too much choice!

It's Motor tech 0208 299 4471 ask for Tony. 

Real quality work top shop best in the South East. 

• Thanks 1