Scottish Lowlands Mystery/Navigation Run - August 24th Saturday

BigSkyBrad

@Eccie6816    It doesn't matter the car, it's for all WSCC members - the McWesty runs regularly have a Tiger and a Quantum joining in. Your profile says you're a trial member - if you are looking for a run/event to dip your toes in and see if we're an OK bunch, then come along, we don't bite (best not make eye contact with Big Brian though, especially before lunch) 😋

Out of interest, where is home and what's your 'other seven kit'?

• Like 2

As the aforesaid Quantum owner I can testify that Clan McWesty are a welcoming bunch. It's also much more enjoyable driving with a group than on your own. Plenty of banter and usually a good feed somewhere too.

Bob

• Like 2

Hi there, just seen this event. I live 20 miles north of London but am keen to do this trip. How do I register please? Jamie

@jamien  Wow, seriously?! That's an awful long way in a Westfield/other-7 - we did Glasgow to Stoneleigh in one day, that was enough. There's no registration as such - I just add your name and you turn up on the day. I'm guessing you'd be staying somewhere near the night before, and perhaps Peebles on the Saturday night (or heading back south after the run)?

Would like to go home via the Lake district and stop at the classic car museum in Windermere. Is there a hotel on the services site? We "might" be able to stop of near Castle Douglas on the way up. The biggest issue is the journey up, due to a holiday commitment we cant set off until 4pm on the Friday.

@Jamie1  I take you were 'jamien' but you're all paid up now? - welcome to the throng.

The next services south (5 miles) is Abington, and they have a Days Inn. Only downfall is that there is no dedicated parking for the hotel, just the services car park (have a look on google maps), but I'd like to think Scottish services aren't dodgy like many English ones - you'll be fine. If your Westfield has a detachable steering wheel and battery kill key, that would stump the opportunist. I also carry a big motorcycle chain and lock that I thread through the right front wheel and lower a-arm - if they are going to move the car, they are going to have to drag it!

Castle Douglas is west of Dumfries, adding to your travel on Fri night a bit. But Dave @Davep1 is from Dumfries, so you could arrange to come up with him from there early Sat morn to the start.

The Lakeland Car Museum is great, you'll need three hours minimum in there to soak it all in.

The Old Stables Inn at Beattock is a good stopover. Reviews say it's under new ownership but I'm not sure how up to date that is. To my knowledge it's owned by Peter Dutton and his wife Hazel who are SKCC members. Peter has two kit cars of his own so it's a kit friendly place with a large secluded car park. They offer free parking for motorhomes ( up to 4 per night) , so at this time of year there is usually someone in the car park overnight. 

SKCC held their 25th anniversary BBQ there a few years ago and we managed around 30 cars in the car park. 

Bob

It’s now August, so that means it’s only 23 sleeps ‘til the Mystery Navigation Run!

Who else is up for the challenge for navigating around some cracking near-deserted roads and lanes south of Glasgow?

For those already joining, here’s what you’ll need to think about bringing…

1.       A pen

2.       A clipboard (recommended, and with a second clip at the bottom)

3.       Wet weather protection of some sort, be it a jacket, a roof, or at least something to keep the route book dry but still readable (poly-pockets?) – although August is technically summer! So hydration wouldn’t go a miss either.

4.       A sense of adventure, humour, and direction will make it a fun day to remember!

The organisers hold no responsibility for divorce proceedings due to navigator map-reading errors!

clipboard.thumb.jpg.2ee3d0369a4013070e2e5528ae818664.jpg

• Like 1

Im not getting back from my holiday until 4pm on the Friday, it will mean I cant get up there until 10/11pm. Its just going to be to much. I have decided to use that weekend to fit my Lotus twin cam engine and look forward to it next year. All the best. Jamie

@Jamie1  Oh, thats a shame, perhaps next year then. London is a long way to come from, so we applaud that!

Calling all McWesties, we have only so many runs in our short season, so dust off your steeds and come along for a fun drive.

• Like 1

Saturday night get-together is the bar at the Barony Castle Hotel. Table booked for at least 12, meals are priced same as pubs in Peebles, big carpark well off the road, and just a couple of miles out from Peebles if you prefer to taxi (those staying in Peebles could group together and get a 6+ seater taxi?).

12 sleeps to go! Cars and paraphernalia sorted yet?

• Like 2

Ha! I get back from Spain the night before, so preparation might be a bit last-minute 😉 Looking forward to it, thanks for organising and arranging for the good weather 👍😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's hoping that all the rain will be used up this week - it's been a wash-out summer so far!

• Like 2