Scottish Lowlands Mystery/Navigation Run - August 24th Saturday

BigSkyBrad

Saltire-Westfield-collage.jpg.23d7a1e1435ca35e745ba77923ec2dc7.jpg

An inter-area mystery run using rally-style ‘tulip’ instructions in a route-book to navigate (at your own pace) 200 miles of twisty, fun and scenic B-roads and single-tracks covering three counties off the M74 south of Glasgow . Some of the roads are absolute gems of Westie-ness. Starting at Happendon Services on the M74, cars leave 1-2 minutes apart, for a full day’s drive to Peebles, the destination. The route can on occasion cross over itself, so it's not unusual to see fellow Westies on the run coming the other way, making you second-guess your navigation. Some of the roads will be new to even the McWesties. Included is a sealed envelope with a map and waypoints to rejoin the route if you go astray, and the destination if you get horribly lost. There’s staggered fuel stops and a lunch break where there is a variety of shops/cafes to grab a bite, and a blether about the morning leg.

It’s easier if you have a navigator alongside you, but it can be done solo with a bit of multi-tasking. A working re-settable trip-meter speedo (GPS is highly discouraged and not in the spirit of the run) and a pen is all that is required, and a clipboard is recommended to hold the route book from blowing away. If you don’t have a trip-meter, it can be done with your mileometer and simple addition, or perhaps rig up a cycle computer. Don’t forget your smiles, and some wet-weather protection just in case. The more cars the merrier, and this type of event runs better with a decent turn-out.

To make it a cosmopolitan event, we would love to see Westfields joining from areas south of the border - come up for the weekend or maybe you could make the event the start or end of a Scotland driving holiday, and if returning south the next day from Peebles the A708 is a must. Peebles has a variety of hotel, B&B and campsite accommodation for those who wish to stay over on the Saturday night, and a choice of pubs and restaurants where everyone can meet up that night to ‘de-brief’ over a pint or two.

Itinerary - Saturday 24th August

0900 - Meet at Happendon Services, M74  (Cairn Lodge)

0930 - Drivers/crew briefing

1000 - First car away, order drawn from hat

Lunch - depending on start order and pace - 1200-1330-ish

Finish - Peebles, depending on lots of things! - 1530-1700-ish

Any questions? - ask below or PM me, no question is too daft.

Up for the challenge? - then have your name added to the list below

• Like 1

tulips.jpg.0514b3e4dd403201008c3d4525a31db1.jpg

Yep, count me in - see you there...

Brad and Diane (obviously!)

Gary and Trina

H7 Brian

Tentative

Alfascozzesi

ziplop Bob

Judder

Just noticed you have used my car in your picture.

I will be up for this probably as well if I can get my son to navigate.

Haha, it was just a random suitable pic from google images!

Let me know if/when you are a 'definite'. I see you're booked for the wigwams, so I'll peck at you then if not before!

Could be a busy year. NC500 in May, wigwams in June, lowlands in August.

The piccy is of my car but before my time. The picture shows the builder who was called Geoff. Easy to tell the difference, he has hair!!

1 hour ago, ziplob said:

should be there if car not sold

Eh? Are you selling the Westie Bob?

18 hours ago, ziplob said:

should be there if car not sold

NOT before you buy another one!! :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I could be up for this, please pencil me in - got lots to do before it's on the road this year. 

Thanks,

Stephen. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just 18 weeks away.

This promises to be a great, full day's driving over some scenic and squiggly well-planned southern Scottish roads. For those who shy away from the usual club run that can seem a bit 'frantic', this event is driven at your own pace, but by no means on your own. A lunch stop, fuel stops and a route that crosses over itself means the social element is still there.

Since planning this event, a similar day out now on the calendar (the Thames Valley Orienteering Event) has so far 18 cars signed on - so the concept has plenty of merit. August the 24th is the 'Up Norf's version.

Don't be shy, give it a try :t-up:.....any questions, ask here or PM me. 

:silver-westy::westy::dg-westy::purple-westy::westy::black-westy::lg-westy::lb-westy::yellow-westy::db-westy: Where to chaps??  Join in to find out!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping to do this. Scheduled to come back from Spain the evening before. Are folks staying in Peebles for the evening/night following the event? If so, where?

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 1

@H.7

Cool, name added to list above. We are staying in Peebles, haven't booked anything yet but will need to shake leg as it is a Bank Holiday weekend. I think Gary is staying over too, given the distance he is travelling. 

• Like 1

On 05/05/2019 at 18:01, BigSkyBrad said:

@H.7

Cool, name added to list above. We are staying in Peebles, haven't booked anything yet but will need to shake leg as it is a Bank Holiday weekend. I think Gary is staying over too, given the distance he is travelling. 

Yes need to book something soon aswell