CrisisWolf

Fuel Tank Top Electrical Connection Query

Had the boot box out today and was doing some suspension work and various other things. I noticed the earth cable Was disconnected. Odd thing is there are four terminals so I have two to choose from. I am assuming I knocked it off today, it may have come off previously, it may have never been connected. Anyone got the same/similar and can tell me where it should go?

74A3D9BF-37D6-4960-AF51-8EC5E7DEED4F.jpeg

6F00F52E-1480-4B60-93AB-0B8F5D601E5D.jpeg

BB5E2092-B97B-4F77-8CA0-BD77208C6C86.jpeg

Looks like the black wire is ground the black with red end is 12v and the green is signal, just see if the gauge is working. 

Tony 

Gauge works without it connected. Connected to either and no change. Odd.

My sender only has 12v and ground.  Could be it's for a different sender ,standard wiring loom and it's never been  used. 

Tony 

Seems to work. Will see if it starts and go thru old photos to see if its always been that way. Odd to have 4 pins on the sender, 3 on the wiring and only 2 connected 

The route for the earth on the sender may be through the body/tank so perhaps the extra wire wasn't needed.

You could check that the continuity to earth of both the tank and the end of that lead to confirm.

Plus if the wire connector was connected to the sender I would expect the terminal it was connected to on the sender to be slightly cleaner than the others as it would have been in contact with it all the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the terminals are actually marked on the nylon surround, but it won't be very clear. So you may need to thoroughly clean the body of the sender unit, and get a bright light on it, to look for markings.

The sender is probably working because it is earthing through the tank mountings. However it is good practice to have both the sender and the tank body separately earthed, as one thing you don't want with fuel tanks is the risk of a spark caused by an intermittent earth contact. It isn't good for your health.  

Thought I'd have an old photo which caught the old connections but nothing clear enough.

The build manual however shows this:

2019-01-02_16_50_48.thumb.jpg.1ea2c69214c0769e28dc35f5a2a75696.jpg

So think I am fine. All seems to work. Both exposed terminals seem as dirty as each other so assuming not used.

9 hours ago, TableLeg said:

You could check that the continuity to earth of both the tank and the end of that lead to confirm.

Knew I'd forgotten a step!

• Like 1

Glad you got it sorted. Might be worth checking the Green wire to ensure it isn't still live (+12v ). If it is it'd be a good idea to cover the terminal with heatshrink or similar.