Buxton, Peak District, Sat 5th Jan

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

We met in Baslow and promptly dumped Big Foot as Dave jumped into Andrew's car.

DSC06921.JPG

We took a short drive in search of coffee and a real fire, with a cracking view out of the window. 

DSC06923.JPG

The driver of the SEiGHT parked in the safe and correct manner and I parked like I was on the sea front, only we don't have any sea in Derbyshire, well not in the last 330 million years anyway.

DSC06925.JPG

The view

DSC06926.JPG

The pub dates back to 1597 is claimed to be the highest pub in Derbyshire at 1300 feet. (Cat and Fiddle is in Cheshire - just)

DSC06929.JPG

It has a real fire

DSC06931.JPG

And barmaids that make you laugh. 'Come and have a sit in my car', I offered, so she did. Her reaction? 'there are no doors, there is no roof, urgh, I couldn't sit in that all day'. Oh dear.

She was polishing the copper pots and was a bit concerned that she might get polish in the coffee, don't worry, we had cat poo (Kopi Luwak) on the go last week, polish is the last of our worries.

DSC06932.JPG

Next we went not to the Knights Table, but to the Rambler Inn, a slight change of plan. Dave just about managed to get his grinning face into the car, I would say he was enjoying it rather a lot. We took a route up the Winnats Pass and down Mam Nick, taking in some of the best scenery the Peak District has to offer.

The Rambler Inn

DSC06933.JPG

No reverse parking today. Kinder Scout in the background.

DSC06934.JPG

The Great Ridge in the foreground

DSC06941.JPG

Some had healthy salad

DSC06938.JPG

And some needed crampons to climb their lunch. The Mam Tor burger.

DSC06939.JPG

Is this a left hand drive Westfield or has Dave got in the wrong side? Watch this space there could be a Honda engine for sale soon.

DSC06942.JPG

After lunch Andrew demanded dessert and it would have been rude to refuse after he had come all this way, so we went to the pool cafe in Hathersage, a regular haunt for Glen and I after we have taken up our new hobby of outdoor swimming. It just happens to have a nice cafe attached to it.

DSC06943.JPG

The outdoor pool

DSC06654.JPG

The inevitable happened, millionaires shortbread, rhubarb flapjack and fresh baked scones.

DSC06946.JPG

A great big thank you has to go to Andrew today, not just for driving 2 hours to get to the start point, but for inviting Dave to share his car too. I think Dave now wants heated seats and a change of engine. Thank you to Dave for putting the current upgrades on hold for a day and here's to V8's and plenty of bridges to drive under.

• Like 5

Still not stopped grinning, another fantastic day in the Peaks!

i hadn’t intended to be out playing today, but when the PM from andrew arrived this week, not just with “I’ve got a spare seat on Saturday”, but you can drive if you want! All plans for garage work shot out the window. I nearly drove over to the Baslow meeting point then and there, just to be ready. :d 

Oh how addictive it is, that V8; I could even hear Andrew chuckling as the throttle may just have accidentally got blipped a little at nearly every bridge. :blush: :laugh:

No doubt engine wise, it’s a very different character to 9k screamers, but a very seductive one, none the less.

• Like 4

Looks like it was a great day out. Sorry to have missed it. See you all soon.

• Like 2