Thrustyjust Meets ........................#2

Thrustyjust

So, today, I went for a drive in the Westie to meet another WSCC member and Westie builder. Weirdly he lives on one of my regular blat routes and never knew he was 100 yards off the road I travel on quite regularly. Fairly well hidden away from the main road in a very peaceful location................ until I turned up  :d

Today I went to see Chris Brading , who is now post - IVA and itching to get the strip down and final things done before enjoying the fruits of his labours, which are well documented in his build thread.

Must make a special mention to both the dogs and the tortoise ........ Seems home from home.

So, a few questions to which was quickly scribbled over #2 cup of tea . This was mainly because I wasnt expecting to be going to see him today and was a bit of a spur of the moment thing to help with roof and door poppers , so dropped the tools and poppers over to Chris to finish his hood and doors at his own pace.

So Chris , full name please ? :   

Chris Brading :d

Whats your occupation ? :

I am a mechanical inspector for Oxford University Estates. Nothing fancy, just a job really.

What made you decide to build a Westfield ?

Always been into cars and in the early days ( 1982!)  had a Mini 1275 GT , which didn't last long :oops: , so transplanted it into a Mk2 mini and it all fits the same ! Then marriage , 2 kids, dogs, cats and tortoise and 30 years later , wanted to build a car.

Any plans in the car trip wise now its finished ?

I did dream about going to the Nurburgring with my son, Ben , but it does look really narrow !!!

Any planned mods for the car yet ?: 

No, not yet. Once the IVA changes are done, need to recover for a bit !

What did you think IVA was like ?

Its was very stressful , but it did go really well . Other than a loose lock nut on a rose joint it went through easily.

Carbon Fibre ?: 

Yes, I have the roll bar covers on , so a little bit so far for now.

So, how helpful was the forum with your build and questions asked ?:

It was a real help . It is the only forum I am on and to be honest, I am obsessed with it :o. It is a very useful place to be .

So, with Chris not able to use his car, I said I would take him out for a loop round in mine, so to keep the enthusiasm going to get his car on the road and chase the DVLA for the reg number.

Chris has done a great job on his car , with lots of personal touches , such as rear diagonal carbon ( he didnt mention that in the carbon question ?) rings on the roll bar . He should be understandably proud of his build and I hope he gets many enjoyable miles in the future with it .

So, as was getting dark ( was almost when I got home) I bid farewell and hope to meet up when his car gets road legal for a blat out somewhere.

Nice to meet you Chris and thanks for the tea's :t-up:

1851699511_ChrisB.jpg.5809b88ab12053b3dd688eb2e33bae2c.jpg

• Like 7

NIce, did you take any car pics?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

NIce, did you take any car pics?

Something I didnt as was tucked in the garage on axle stands currently while de- IVA'd to be honest. Will update some Westie ones when Chris is on the road from a pub carpark somewhere :d

Thrustyjusin meets #2 Riposte!

Justin had kindly offered to help with my side screens and Halfhood fitting, I was a bit nervous to be honest not helped by Karen’s leg pulling about my date turning up soon!

I heard his black Honda powered WF arrive as he neatly reversed into the driveway. He quickly put me at ease and generously gave me some parts for my car.  We had a tour around his beautiful car ( why hadn’t I gone for the Honda engine! ) And sorted out the problems I was having with the hood!  I was struck with the symmetry of our lives, Minis, two children, two dogs, tortoise WF. ( Although he is not aware yet of how nasty Tortoises are yet! )

Justin kindly took me for a spin and confirmed for me that building and owning a WF was a good decision and how reassuringly planted his car and mine feels on the road.

Up to this point I was not aware that I was his next Thrustyjusin meets victim so my answers were a bit rubbish.

looking forward to the next instalment.

Chris

• Like 5

Thanks Chris and thanks all for the morale boost to keep the idea flying guys. Just wanted to try something else and I will hope to make a better list ( well, the time it took Chris to make a cuppa was all the time I had :laugh:) As said, it was a bit of an impromptu pop in to lend some tools and poppers for the hood and doors and thought ' why not do a 'meets' question and photo ?.

Glad you liked the spin round the block Chris. Especially the new tarmac !!! . I didnt see the 50 sign as was nearly double that listening to the Vtec noises ................ooops :oops:

Hope you get the car on the road soon and build up the confidence for reliability. We have all been there with that one.

@Thrustyjust that would be a really interesting article in the Westfield World magazine and good for people that don't use the forum to read.

3 minutes ago, Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO said:

@Thrustyjust that would be a really interesting article in the Westfield World magazine and good for people that don't use the forum to read.

If thats what the people above believe Julie , then I am open to their thoughts. Remember I have patented this idea though :laugh:

• Haha 3

I had assumed these would find their way into the mag anyway. They really should be in there :t-up: 

• Thanks 1

Always expected some of these too be in the mag, may have suggest so a while back... Keep it up :yes:

Come and see me again, we can have a catch up and I can make you spend more of your hard earned money............

2 hours ago, Tom (T3OMF) - Cotswolds AO said:

Come and see me again, we can have a catch up and I can make you spend more of your hard earned money............

You could well be in the gun sights Tom for #3 :p

Only want nice people on the list and although you drain cash from me , you're a great mate :t-up:

• Haha 1