Chargers

si_salisbury

@si_salisbury

When I had your car I had a ctek charger and I think I left the wiring in the car when you bought it. It was hard wired in from the battery to the 12V outlet on the dash

I had the MXS 3.8 and a lead that went from the charger to the 12v outlet.

To put it on charge took seconds

HTH

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KugaWestie said:

@si_salisbury

When I had your car I had a ctek charger and I think I left the wiring in the car when you bought it. It was hard wired in from the battery to the 12V outlet on the dash

I had the MXS 3.8 and a lead that went from the charger to the 12v outlet.

To put it on charge took seconds

HTH

I did see this charging plug adapter and did think that but unsure if I did that it would blow the ECU and other components. Did you use something like this?

C2875699-81C1-4FA4-ADBF-6AFD8CE713BE.png

38 minutes ago, si_salisbury said:

I did see this charging plug adapter and did think that but unsure if I did that it would blow the ECU and other components. Did you use something like this?

C2875699-81C1-4FA4-ADBF-6AFD8CE713BE.png

Don't be afraid to ask me anything about the car, I will always try my best to answer for you.

Yes mine was similar to that but did not have the charge indication lights

• Thanks 1

Was supposed to be out in the car today to see @Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO , my leader to drop some bits but due to a rubbish cold , I dont wish to share the germs. So, instead the lovely postie lady drops my new charger off. So, although the leads are pretty short ( you can get an extension cable) I used my lead I had already made up for the cars previously . Fixed on the wall and hey presto, we are now charging to get to optimisation. The battery was still at 12.3v after my Boxing Day drive. Still for £35 delivered with a 2 year warranty isnt too bad and the last one was about 10 to 12 years old.

Sods law I feel crap as is perfect for a drive today :arse:

20181228_112031.thumb.jpg.0e2e10defd1af23116b8205ed302af33.jpg

• Like 1

12.3 is a tad low for your battery thrusty.  I'd be chucking that old Banner brick battery and looking at an Odyssey...?

14 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

12.3 is a tad low for your battery thrusty.  I'd be chucking that old Banner brick battery and looking at an Odyssey...?

Maybe Craig. This optimiser will tell you if the battery is 'weak' and has yet to tell me its doomed. I am wary of the old faulty optimiser  may of caused issues of killing the battery , but hoped I had caught it in time. it was 11.8v when I found it wouldnt start. I did have a PC 680 on my last car and was great. Its a job to consider but was hoping to get a bit of life out this battery before I changed it over. ( also spent enough money this xmas, she'd murder me if I bought a battery and bracket as well :d)

Yes, I sympathise with the Xmas finances too.

You could consider a small jumper pack. I picked a decent one up last summer for about £60 and take it with me on any long journeys away from home just for peace of mind.  

The wife's SLK battery has been low for a good couple of winters but Im reluctant to shell out on a new one at the minute.

Nothing worse than your car not starting when you really need it to.....

1 hour ago, CraigHew said:

Yes, I sympathise with the Xmas finances too.

You could consider a small jumper pack. I picked a decent one up last summer for about £60 and take it with me on any long journeys away from home just for peace of mind.  

The wife's SLK battery has been low for a good couple of winters but Im reluctant to shell out on a new one at the minute.

Nothing worse than your car not starting when you really need it to.....

Very true Craig. But if a battery is going, I dont want to stress the alternator , especially the Honda one ( look up a replacement cost ??? ) so will just see if my 25 miles on Boxing day was enough to get back up or if it is a bit meh in the battery front. So far its doing its job on the charger and no alarms to show its a duffer. Will just keep an eye on it.

As for a portapack , blimey , I have enough weight in the car with me  !! The boot is already full of stash tools, as I hope by having it, means I wont need it :laugh:

22 hours ago, Mole said:

I am looking at chargers - to use on the Westy plus also the mower.. and reading the various write ups and technical specs..

I always thought that for a battery to be kept in best condition it needs to be worked - or cycled.. definitely for lead acid batteries... although not completely discharged.

i can't see anywhere that the ctek does this.. only that it tops up the charge to maximum when it detects it has dropped..

Does the Ctec discharge or if not is it not necessary??

Just checking because there are a lot of cheaper chargers out there that they  say will do similar to the Ctec..

just being a tight :arse: and want to get best value!!

Prior to getting my Ctek I had for years used https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/atc12v-car-battery-charger/  £10.79 on a previous kitcar and no problems.

It was used on a timer thru the Winter for about 90 minutes per day. 

No fancy lights or tech. promises like others, just cheap and did the job.

35 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Sitting now at 12.6 v and off charge , so that sounds a bit healthier @CraigHew

:yes:

• Like 1

Dammit - this forum is a dangerous place to browse when you're a bit bored....

I now know that my "Gel battery" is actually a Varley Redtop AGM (Adsorbent Glass Mat) battery, which prefers to be kept at full charge when not being used. I'm not convinced that my £15 Halfords trickle charger or my ancient Gunsons bench charger is up to the job, so I started browsing

I now have a Ctek MXS 5.0 on the way from Amazon - good excuse for a couple of hours in the garage tomorrow

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Evening everyone, 

I’m needing your advice again, just gone to charge the battery with the new charger :d looking at the battery (odyssey pc680 battery) do I treat it as a AGM or a normal lead battery? Looking at different spec’s on line it states it’s best of both. At this moment I charging it as it is a AGM, am I correct in doing this or am I wrong and going to kill the battery.