Chargers

si_salisbury

Sad maybe but the document @CraigHew linked to makes interesting reading. I Was about to buy one but will be taking some measurements before I do -  read step 1 on p14 and check your charger is suitable for use with an odyssey battery and maybe worth checking alternator output too. The life cycle graph shows how severe life cycle can be shortened if charging voltage is outside of the recommended range! 

20 hours ago, Mole said:

Thanks Don.. another option..

I should have added that I was using a lead/acid battery and no need to disconnect battery when charging.

On 28/12/2018 at 11:28, Thrustyjust said:

Was supposed to be out in the car today to see @Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO , my leader to drop some bits but due to a rubbish cold , I dont wish to share the germs.  

And now you've brought my attention to this thread I've finally taken the decision to buy a CTEK 5.0 to try and recover my Oddersy what has been sat on my bench without charge for 18 months! If it works it will be money saved but I know it's a lot to ask.

I'll at least have my old charger to sell.

• Like 1

Mine seems to be getting better now as sitting at 12.8v and maintaining. Maybe the run out yesterday and overnight optimising has brought the battery back ? 

Reading through these threads made me think I should maybe turn my car over and let it warm as it hasn’t been run since the end of September. 

So, on Friday  I went too it got the car out, checked everything, jumped in and turned the ignition on and could hear the fuel pump working frantically to fill the float chambers before tailing off to a gentle tick-tick. I usually turn the engine a few times on the starter to get the oil moving before pumping the 45’s 4 or 5 times to fire it up. On turning the key I got a nil response and thought back to a few weeks ago when I had moved the car to roll the tyres and had left the key on the first turn to unlock the steering and which powers on a few peripherals.  I had omitted to turn the key back to off and spotted that the volt meter on the USB sockets was showing a reading some weeks later and realising my error simply turned the key and removed it from the barrel. 

With the above in mind, I got the multimeter out and dropped it over the battery terminals where it read 11.4v and was dropping steadily with just the meter over it. Thinking there may not me enough kick in the battery to open the solenoid it pushed the car back in the garage and threw the charger on it (it’s a lead acid battery btw).

After close to 24 hours the battery charger indicated that the battery was charged and ready to go so the same routine was followed yesterday pm and I experienced the same difficulties - dead on the second turn of the key. Checking again with the multimeter all appeared good under the bonnet and I put my hand round the key barrel to check all was good, which it appeared to be, and turned the key once more to find this time all kicked in albeit very slowly and slowing off after a couple of seconds. I did this a couple o times to move the oil and then wondered if there would be enough of a turn to get it to fire up. Having introduced a bit of fuel via 5 full pumps of the accelerator I turned the car over once more and, as I expected, nothing. Repeated the process another couple of times and it attempted to run but failed to continue. Half expecting there not to be enough juice in the battery I went for it again and hey presto the old girl was running. 

The voltmeter I’m the car was reading low again and so I let the car run till it got warm but being SORN it would be wrong to run it carefully around the block to get some charge in it ;) 

So, some 10 mins later the voltmeter was showing a more respectable 12.4 volts I once again checked the battery. With it being maintainancr free it has a built in indicator which is basically one of 3 colours - green (OK), grey (recharge) and white (knackered). The colour in the window appears grey so I suspect it’s not in good health. 

Now considering replacing with the Odyssey I had always planned and will consider a charger for conditioning over next winter. 

This battery care is costing me a small fortune, now my new charger has been on for a good day and a half had a look at it this morning and it got to level 5 and with the warning light flashing, had a quick look in the book and it states “battery may not hold a charge replace battery” :cry::cry::cry::bangshead:.

I think I will run it in March and see how it goes, don’t want to fit a new battery and then it sit there for the next 3 months until the car is next taxed.

4 hours ago, si_salisbury said:

... it got to level 5 and with the warning light flashing, had a quick look in the book and it states “battery may not hold a charge replace battery” :cry::cry::cry::bangshead:.

Did you keep reading? It says to reset the charger and try for a second time. I had the same issue with my battery which had not been used for 18 months. The first attempt got to level 5 and an error. The second attempt has got to level 7 and been on for a lot longer.

49 minutes ago, Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

Did you keep reading? It says to reset the charger and try for a second time. I had the same issue with my battery which had not been used for 18 months. The first attempt got to level 5 and an error. The second attempt has got to level 7 and been on for a lot longer.

I didn’t see that Tim, but will stick it back on and see how it goes on the second charge. It did put a charge in the battery because it did start the car this afternoon. Cheers for the the tip, I must start reading all of the manual and not just parts of it :laugh:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1