Aston Martin Lagonda review. Quirky car.

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

It was of its time, I guess.

Its always funny when you jump back a good few decades and see what was thought would look futuristic, even more so when you get back to the era of the Aston and earlier.

There was, if I remember correctly, a 2 door version as well. That didn't look quite so "stretched" but I never did like the look of it even when it was current,  and I was an Aston Martin fan. But don't forget the era in which this was designed. same sort of time as the design of the Jaguar XJS, and to my eye they both looked as if they were designed by an elephant's bottom, if you see what I mean. The AM Lagonda just looked more razor edged, and the XJS a bit more rounded.

Trouble is I can well remember those being unveiled. Looked somewhat "off the wall" forty plus years ago as well ;)

Still used to see one of them round Knutsford, up till a few years or so ago. Sounded great, looked quirky from some angles and down right weird from others.

My Father-in-law built a tennis court for someone who owned one, he tried to get it for us to use as a wedding car, but he had traded it for a Bentley.

The late Duke of Westminster (of Eaton Hall) owned one, so perhaps his? Around Knutsford, that is?

Any one know were to have a switch panel made similar to this , looking for 12 rockers with logo's in 2 rows of 6 plus space for a voltmeter ? 

Its to replace the one on my boat which is getting rather old & tired (just like the owner ) .

Switch Panel.jpg

Just now, CraigHew said:

Only got 8 minutes in before the guy irritated me enough to cancel....

Really? How did you last that long :d

Back in the early 80’s my neighbour was a troubleshooter for Aston and he used to bring home a different car almost every day. By far the worst was one of these. It looked like crap even when it was new and he had endless tales of just how bad they were. The dash looked like a project taken from the pages of Electronics Today International, or perhaps Elektor (nerd reference for you). 

Back in my days as editor of Hot Car magazine, I got invited up to the factory to test drive a prototype twin-turbocharged version of this. It was blisteringly fast, but what I will always remember is that it had a set of analogue gauges installed in place of the 'futuristic' digital dash used on the production versions. When I questioned this, the Aston engineer I was with looked over his shoulder and muttered 'They're f*cking useless – always packing up, so we ditched them for something that works while we're testing the car'.

• Haha 2

The bloke whose company makes those delicatessen queue ticketing machines (Lonsto) and owns 12,000 lock-up garages lives (or lived) in the Barnet area and has 24 of these. He said not only do they cost as much as a new family car to service, but they get stuck in multi storey car parks. I had to go to his house on business and one was sitting on his drive looking a bit under used. He has 420 cars in all according to Wikipedia. Quite a character!