Any Land Rover Defender 90 gurus on here?

Kingster

My brother is after a 90 and wants to avoid any pitfalls when acquiring one. 

He’s not after a pimped out “let’s off-road” type with big bits bolted on, but more of a bog standard and original item with windows (sw?) ideally a late model Tdi. 

He currently has a Freelander, and has been talking about getting a 90 for years, but is seriously looking now with a budget of up to £8k for a good one.

Any pointers?

Prices seem to have skyrocketed recently. I’d also allocate a serious bit of budget to try and keep it his, once he does find one. They’ve hovered around being one of the UK’s most nicked vehicles for years.

The only thing I can think of is chassis and alloy body corrosion as a major issue. Friend has a big landie ( no idea which ) and has just replaced the bulkhead as they are also prone to rotting out. 

Good tdi models are very rare these days. 200tdi is unvbearably noisy above 50mph, 300tdi not alot better. Good unmolested td5s are fetching 5 digit prices now.  If your brother is vehicle savy like you, suggest he looks for the best solid landy he can afford as the body and chassis become the expensive and time consuming repairs. Mechanicals even new td5 engines are not extortionate  and relatively easy to swap.  Rear cross members, outriggers, bulkheads are the most common areas for bad rust. Doors suffer badly from alliy corrosion and rear door hinges suffer if big spare wheels have been hung from the factory bracket.

I've had a few from series, 200 & 300tdi,  v8 , td5 and puma as a company toy. The td5  is by far the best daily driver in my opinion. V8 soft top was by far the best fun!!

Look on ebay for yan the landy man he seems to find decent examples and asks sensible prices. Good price/budget check to start.  Never bought from him but adverts seem honest.