Superb Westfield XI

stephenh

Westfield XI for Sale

It is with some reluctance and sadness that I have come to the conclusion that I need to offer this well known car for sale. The car has been on show at the last 2 Westfield speed weekends at Blyton Park, and was on display in the WSCC marque at the 2018 National Kitcar Show at Stoneleigh.

This is probably just about the best spec.'d Westfield XI in the Country, and just about every part of the car was either new or professionally reconditioned at the time of its construction. It was first registered in July of 2017, and has covered just 1104 miles since being registered. This is a rare opportunity to purchase an XI which is built to a standard which should enable reliable fun motoring, and is fast enough and with road holding capable of performing well on trackdays.

The body is the standard Westfield body kit, with Le Mans driver's head fairing, in Westfield racing green, with crimson carpets, dash, seats and driver's head rest. The bodywork has been professionally machine polished. The dashboard is populated by a matched set of MG Midget instruments, all professionally reconditioned, comprising fuel gauge, combined oil pressure/water temperature gauge, rev. counter, and speedometer fitted (and calibrated) with an MGB dial so that it reads to 120mph, rather than the 100mph of a standard Midget speedo. The car has a factory optional tonneau cover fitted.

Suspension incorporates the optional factory anti-rollbar kit, along with softer springs and Protech alloy bodied dampers which have been extended by approx. 20mm. to give better suspension compliance compared to the standard factory setup.

Braking is by discs all round, using the optional Hi-Spec brake upgrade, with 4-pot calipers at the front.

The engine started life as a 1275cc. Midget A series engine, but was totally rebuilt and upgraded by Peter May of Peter May Engineering so that it has an estimated power output at the flywheel of 110 bhp. from 1330cc., and revs happily to 7,000rpm, although the engine internals are safe to at least 7,500rpm, however the camshaft spec. is such that there is no advantage in performance by exceeding 7.000. Full details of the engine build spec with supporting documentation will be supplied to any serious enquirers, suffice to say that with all ancillaries (new alternator, starter motor, Ford 7.5” rally clutch, Aldon electronic distributor mapped to match the camshaft fitted, new 45 DCOE Weber carburettor and manifold, special shallow sump) the engine build cost was £6,435. The exhaust manifold is the factory supplied fabricated 3 branch manifold, but ceramic coated inside and out. Stainless silencer is a one-off, supplied and fitted by Custom Chrome.

The gearbox is a Ford type 9 'box, giving 5 forward gears, fully rebuilt by Steve Perks of SPC, with uprated bottom gear to make it more usable, So this is an SPC Tracsport 'box.

The back axle is an Midget axle, fitted with Peter May competition half shafts. The differential was rebuilt by Peter May and the crown wheel and pinion is the higher of the available Midget ratios.

These cars are notoriously difficult to value as there are so few changing hands at any one time, so I'm open to offers, but my starting point is £22,000 which represents only about 80% of the cost of building the car to this spec., and standard, and with no allowance for my labour.

The purchaser will receive a complete file of invoices for components used in the build, the original factory build manual in clean condition supplemented by a printed and bound copy of my WSCC boardroom build thread, along with a Haynes Sprite/Midget workshop manual and a Moss Europe Sprite/Midget catalogue.

Westfield XI 1.jpg

Westfield XI 2.JPG

Westfield XI 3.jpg

XI_at_Stoneleigh_2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Great car Stephen

Shame to see you are selling it but somebody will get a bargain

Having helped with Stoneleigh for the last few years I have seen this car up close and it’s superb. 

Someone will own a great car. 

Loving the beer belly face off in the last photo :d

I note this only as antidote to...

OMG! You're selling....! That must be tough, it's a wonderful car Stephen and I hope it remains in the club as an exemplar of what can be done.

2 minutes ago, Andy Banks - Chairman said:

Loving the beer belly face off in the last photo :d

What are you trying to say.

I don’t drink.

21 minutes ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

What are you trying to say.

I don’t drink.

:d

Thanks for all the kind remarks!

All I need now is someone to make me an offer. Thought I'd try on here for a while, before advertising on Pistonheads. I'd like to see the car stay in the Club as well.

• Like 4

Well, I've just got back from a quick run, just to make sure everything was ok after doing a few bits. I'd forgotten just how quick it was, no doubt partly because the car is so light, but even so for an engine of 1330cc., and the original was 45 years or more old, it really is a credit to Peter May. It just pulls like a train at all revs, right up to top gear. Almost sorry I was selling, until I struggled to get myself out of the car!

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

I don’t drink.   :o

On 21/12/2018 at 16:10, stephenh said:

Well, I've just got back from a quick run, just to make sure everything was ok after doing a few bits. I'd forgotten just how quick it was, no doubt partly because the car is so light, but even so for an engine of 1330cc., and the original was 45 years or more old, it really is a credit to Peter May. It just pulls like a train at all revs, right up to top gear. Almost sorry I was selling, until I struggled to get myself out of the car!

Serious suggestion, if getting in and out is the issue, go and get some physio and advice to build muscles. If I have not used mine for a long time putting your arms behind you to lift my body up is a strain and I am younger than you I suspect.

Good luck with what ever you do. 

• 2 months later...

Now I'm getting serious about selling this car so I'm ready to consider any offers anyone might wish to make. I'd like to sell to a member of the Club, so I'll leave it on this thread for the next week or two, then it goes on Pistonheads.

Serious enquirers are welcome to come and have a ride in the car, and to request a copy of the engine build invoice.

The car does come with very complete documentation, even down to a bound book which is a slightly edited version of my build thread. And every invoice involved in the build totaling over £27k!

• 3 weeks later...

Some nice weather this last week, and although interest in the car, no offers yet, so the car has just gone onto Pistonheads. Still, I really hope someone in this Club will buy the car. Failing that I'll do my best to persuade the buyer to join!

So come on, before it goes, get counting out the piggy bank contents!

One or two more photos:

IMGP6385.JPG

IMGP6383.JPG

IMGP6379.JPG

IMGP6381.JPG

IMGP6382.JPG

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.