Oooops

Thrustyjust

4 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

ironic logo on his jacket too.....

Yes, not sure how Hope Technology are going to enjoy his advertising at court , other than him loosing his license and using their bike components to get to work :laugh:

Not sure why you would claim to have an Irish licence. He must have a UK licence. Am I missing something?

33 minutes ago, Nic (NICO) - Shropshire and Mid-Wales AO said:

Not sure why you would claim to have an Irish licence. He must have a UK licence. Am I missing something?

I'm not sure if it's still the case but in the 80s you only had to pass a single test to get a licence to drive/ride just about any vehicle in the Republic.  If you moved to the UK you could apply for a UK licence and get all the same vehicles without another test.  I recall an Irish nurse friend of my wife laughing at her husband because he wanted a bike but had just failed his test and she already had a licence through the above.

Not entirely sure what he was trying ,but I know of a few Irish lads who have been caught drink driving and surrendered their Republic of Ireland licences only to keep driving on their uk ones .This was not so long ago but may or may not still be the case 

I’m not suggesting he’s doing the same but there was advantages to be had if you held  both 

It sounds as though an Irish licence entitles you to drive vehicles that are not included on the UK licence, may have been caught driving something he shouldn't have been.

Not the case for some time now.  Irish licence is actually more restrictive than the UK one as standard (in terms of towing and number of passengers you can carry), unless you do additional tests. That's certainly the case for my one, which I've had for nearly ten years now.

There's a fairly common assumption that you can't get penalty points applied to an Irish licence in the UK, and vice versa, but as far as I'm aware, its not true. It just takes a little more paperwork, so you've got a slightly better chance of being let away with a fine etc.

I am guessing his solicitor and barrister think he has a good chance of walking away otherwise they would have advised him to accept the case and plead guilty. If you have read his book it is not the first time a problem with the law has come his way regrading his licence.

Time will tell.

1 hour ago, jeff oakley said:

I am guessing his solicitor and barrister think he has a good chance of walking away otherwise they would have advised him to accept the case and plead guilty. If you have read his book it is not the first time a problem with the law has come his way regrading his licence.

Time will tell.

To be quite honest, if he has a real Irish licence that looks anything like mine, I wouldn't be surprised if the police thought it was a fake! I've got one of the old paper ones (before we switched to card) and it's had a couple of trips through the washing machine in its time! 

1 hour ago, AndrewOBW said:

To be quite honest, if he has a real Irish licence that looks anything like mine, I wouldn't be surprised if the police thought it was a fake! I've got one of the old paper ones (before we switched to card) and it's had a couple of trips through the washing machine in its time!

I've still got the pink paper one. It's VERY threadbare now and it has raised an eyebrow when presented. I had one copper (a while ago now) tell me that I was breaking the law by not having a new photo licence. I invited him to prosecute me for the offence. Nothing happened...