Wheel spacers ?

Badger56

Bit of advice, I have a 2004 Seight which currently has 10 mm spacers fitted as I bought a set of wheels & tyres second hand (price was to good to miss) which needed them to fit. I'm considering going up to 15 mm more for looks than anything else and would want to extend / lengthen the bolts as another 5 mm might be pushing the current ones to to the limit. Has anyone got experience of doing something similar? pictures, links etc would be appreciated.

The car is road use only by the way and has around 200 bhp.

New wheels.JPG

Yes, I’ve got 16mm spacers on the back. get decent hub centric ones. 

63mm wheel studs from Rally Design or Burton. 

My experience of changing wheel studs  was a real pita. Had to remove the hubs to do it. Which meant new hub nuts which were order only from ford and then finding a torque wrench capable of 200nm and a very large socket to fit the hub nut ! Inserting the new studs was relatively straight forward but I found I had to line up the splines to mate with the original grooves. 

Its doable and the issue with spacers on normal cars is the weight stressing bearings and studs. The issue isnt really one with our cars as weight is a lot less than the design from the cars it was specced from, such as the Cortina or Sierra , depending on type build.

It’s doable with out removing the hubs, but there’s only really one position that you can thread the new stud through from the back in and maneuver it in to the hub, after which you have to keep turning the hub to line up for the next and so on.. I’ve done it on a few cars now, and I know plenty of others that have managed it. Just need a bit of patience and some Tetris playing skill when it comes to lining the things up.

• Like 1

I have some 20mm spacers you can have for postage and a beer if they are of any use mate 

I had Superforma make some 15mm hub-centric slip-on spacers to my dimensions, to take my ET35 rear wheels down to ET20 to fill out the fenders better. Weirdly, but luckily, my factory built car has longer studs on the back than the front so still had enough threads to safely take the nuts.

+1 for Superforma. I ordered rear hub-centric spacers to my exact dimensions for relatively low cost and got a great fitting product.

Got my longer studs from Demontweeks, probably not the cheapest but came fast and fitted perfect.

H&R sells a spacer that bolts onto the hub, negating the need for longer studs. Mine have been in place since I did the rebody in 2004 and discovered cars like mine from the mid '90s use shorter rear arms than later cars, thus leaving a massive gap to the rear wing.

http://www.hrsprings.com/products/detail/trak

-John

On 16/12/2018 at 23:51, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

It’s doable with out removing the hubs, but there’s only really one position that you can thread the new stud through from the back in and maneuver it in to the hub, after which you have to keep turning the hub to line up for the next and so on.. I’ve done it on a few cars now, and I know plenty of others that have managed it. Just need a bit of patience and some Tetris playing skill when it comes to lining the things up.

Very much depends on the length of the new studs. Simply wasnt possible on my car.

Thanks for all the comments & advice, I think I need to take a few measurements etc before going for it, definitely a possibility on the rear though as the wheels sit a bit far in for my taste, the cars in storage at the moment due to a house move and no road access (the joy of new build) until February, but it's on the list of jobs.

My only "worry" is getting the old studs out but I won't know until I try I guess.

Cheers