Hydraulic clutch leak in type 9 duratec

Gab

Hi, 

I have a leak on my hydraulic clutch and not sure what could be the source, I guess could be the nipple got loosen and then draining would be ok or worst case that the seals are gone and need replacement. My question is what is the best way to tackle it, as the bellhousing is hidden under the cowl?. I thought in propshaft out and the gearbox and get access keeping the engine in place or propshaft out and move the engine forwards and get access to the bellhousing from the engine bay?

Please let me know your thoughts, I think that this is something that for sure somebody has gone through already.

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards.

If your engine position allows you to separate it from the gearbox while still in the engine bay and peek into the bell housing, you may be able to re-tighten the nipple if that's the sum total of your problem. That would be much less work than trying to remove the gearbox if that's even possible without removing the engine. 

It doesn't take long to remove the engine and in my experience its much more hassle to re-align the prop shaft and gearbox single handed as inevitably the primary shaft gets rotated during gearbox removal. Where as keeping the engine and clutch plate un-disturbed is much easier.

I would highly recommend fitting a remote bleed to your clutch cylinder whilst you have access:

20180705_182203.thumb.jpg.40662b04ff411a6fc24d7066336d13ca.jpg

Remote pipes just poking through to be connected ( type 9 bell housing)

• Thanks 1

Could you take the plate under the bellhousing out or the starter motor and buy a mini camera to attach to your phone and see if you can see the leak ? If it is the slave cylinder then you will need to replace it. If it is the nipple, then wise to buy the bits to make an external bleed point. Its a bit of work to remove an engine but you will need a crane to make life easier. 

• Thanks 1

I inserted by camera through the starter motor aperture in the bell housing. With a bit of wiggling could watch the slave cylinder moving backwards and forwards. This can be achieved with the engine in situ.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, neptune said:

I inserted by camera through the starter motor aperture in the bell housing. With a bit of wiggling could watch the slave cylinder moving backwards and forwards. This can be achieved with the engine in situ.

Did you see any signs of fluid leaks ?

10 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Did you see any signs of fluid leaks ?

No thankfully. I did this when i was converting from cable to hydraulic clutch

I'd suggest starter motor off and a camera in for starters . I doubt you will be able to see any drips from the slave cylinder but you would be able to see wetness around the hose ends .

Happy to loan you my camera i you need one.

• Like 1

I have taken the drastic way, engine out and found the line wasn't tight and was leaking. Now I am looking for a place to found hoses that I can do a proper installation there leaving the bleeding point in an accesible place. 

20181228_142634.jpg

20181228_135435.jpg

20181228_142628.jpg

Wow, well at least that's conclusive evidence of your leak.  I bought my pipe and fittings from retro ford in corby. They are extremely knowlegable and take telephone orders. Below shows both kits but i would speak to them and evenshow them the photo of your slave cylinder to be sure the fittings will be compatible.Screenshot_20181228-194519.thumb.png.e6b3b2901979a7ffac092438c5d9fc17.png

• Thanks 1

Give you a chance to check the clutch plate for contamination too and wear. It maybe drastic, but it was probably the only way to resolve and future proof bleeding as well. Also peace of mind that it is resolved :t-up: 

• Like 1