2019 Speed Series Registration

Terry Everall

3 hours ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competion Secretary said:

Maurici. You conveniently stopped before the last part of 3.2.4 which talks about alternative construction for passenger seats. If you have a correctly made GRP, carbon Fibre or even some other structurally sound seat that will pass MOT snd scrutineering you will not have a problem. You need to read section K 2.2 of the blue book.

It talks about passenger seat arrangements, and only passangers. I dont doubt it wanted to say something different but it doesnt.

"""Where alternative passenger seats have been fabricated they must have a rigid base & back and be adequately trimmed and padded such that a passenger would not experience any direct contact pressure on the vehicle floor or rear bulkhead."""

Hi Terry,

Iv'e just signed up in class D.  My entries went in early for Castle Combe and Goodwood so fingers crossed I get in, especially the GWS which gets booked quickly.   I will also be looking at Guston  and Shelsley later in the year.  I've never driven Goodwood so my Son and I have a track day booked this Monday in the MX-5!

Look forward to seeing you at the events.

Simon

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Simon_Jones said:

Hi Terry,

Iv'e just signed up in class D.  My entries went in early for Castle Combe and Goodwood so fingers crossed I get in, especially the GWS which gets booked quickly.   I will also be looking at Guston  and Shelsley later in the year.  I've never driven Goodwood so my Son and I have a track day booked this Monday in the MX-5!

Simon

Welcome Simon. Hope to see you at some events

Simon

Try to get to our own event at Blyton 

16 hours ago, Simon_Jones said:

Hi Terry,

Simon

Welcome Simon

Good to see I have at least 1 class D buddy this year and look forward to meeting you at some point. 

Marto :marto:

I have to say I'm even more uncertain now about which class to enter, hence my delay. Having done the last 5 events with a synchro box, and planning to switch to 1B's this year because I was tired of being lumped in with mod prod/slicks on the day, I was still intending to run in class D as it seemed unsporting to change to class B. This, despite my car being more aligned to class B.  For the last 6 years I've also run high-backed GRP seats and belts on both sides and will continue to do so.  (Apart from that one experiment at the last round at Anglesey of following most others and swapping the passenger seat for a sponge/curtain/rug :d low back affair).  However, I see that those running on 1Cs (ZZRs) in D will now benefit from the added advantage of being allowed to remove the passenger seat and belts completely. I understand the reasoning behind that, but surely it's moving D even further away from road going. It certainly creates more of a disincentive to me to enter class D, which I've stayed true to for many years.

• Like 1

Howard. The SSOT appreciate your comments and concerns and 2019 will see us looking closely at our class structure. Despite most people preferring no changes it is becoming increasingly difficult to align classes C,D,E and F that are mostly using list 1C tyres. This does put those cars into mod prod classes on the day ( at most events) so they run against the slick cars . Several cars , including your October experiment began to reduce passenger seats and belts to an absolute minimum and in Mod Prods you do not need a seat. Several people questioned what was ok within our classes so thats why we decided to remove the need for a passenger seat and belts. It might save a little weight and maybe wind resistance but not much in reality so can still leave your passenger seat in if you want to and continue to run in class D. We are trying to keep class A and B as BASIC ROAD GOING CARS

2 hours ago, Howard said:

I have to say I'm even more uncertain now about which class to enter, hence my delay. Having done the last 5 events with a synchro box, and planning to switch to 1B's this year because I was tired of being lumped in with mod prod/slicks on the day, I was still intending to run in class D as it seemed unsporting to change to class B. This, despite my car being more aligned to class B.  For the last 6 years I've also run high-backed GRP seats and belts on both sides and will continue to do so.  (Apart from that one experiment at the last round at Anglesey of following most others and swapping the passenger seat for a sponge/curtain/rug :d low back affair).  However, I see that those running on 1Cs (ZZRs) in D will now benefit from the added advantage of being allowed to remove the passenger seat and belts completely. I understand the reasoning behind that, but surely it's moving D even further away from road going. It certainly creates more of a disincentive to me to enter class D, which I've stayed true to for many years.

Sorry Howard but I don't see your issue. You can still enter B or D on potentially equal terms to others in those classes so what is the problem? The blue book doesn't even mandate a passenger seat for road going.

PS - unsporting? :suspect: Its a competition! :p

Can't see anything unsporting about you entering class B @Howard - in fact other class D competitors might see it as very sporting to give them chance of Class honors :p

2 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Nothing wrong with B IMO, the TTs are certainly not 'unsporting'!

You found internete!!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

Can't see anything unsporting about you entering class B @Howard - in fact other class D competitors might see it as very sporting to give them chance of Class honors :p

@Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO

I think you’ll find others in class D have faired very nicely thank you with class honours in previous years :rolleyes:

@Howard

From a personal point of view I would much rather you ( and @Keith the Teeth )  were back in D with me me this year ! We have all enjoyed some close competition in past years and trying to catch you two has driven me to push harder and get me times down. 

Though I see this year as a fresh start with a very different set up I’m really not sure how it’s going to feel if I’m in a class of 1. 

Marto :marto: