Lightweight silencer/exhaust options.

Davemk1

I did think that as I posted..I should have kept quiet.. intact silencer quiet enough for all tracks except one sensor at Bedford, which need an early change up..

I am busy painting the new garage floor tomorrow..otherwise I would have thought about taking it off and weighing it.... But will post if I do take it off in near future..

I have had issues though with the silencer rubbing on the track around certain left handers so have had to repair a couple of times.. need to sort silencer position or the body roll on track!

IMG_20180610_124710423.jpg

silencer.jpg

DSC_1832.jpeg

• Like 1

I just checked my notes.  My 6.25" Raceco purchased in 2004 weighed 4.1 kg.  It looks like they only offer the 7.25" version these days, so I suspect the new ones are a bit heavier.  

-John

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mole said:

I have had issues though with the silencer rubbing on the track around certain left handers so have had to repair a couple of times.. need to sort silencer position or the body roll on track!

Could you fit a double bend in before the box, as below. ( any excuse to post a flamey pic! :) )

P1090099c.thumb.jpg.eed93038eec28a9506297c3b23da4a80.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnCh said:

I just checked my notes.  My 6.25" Raceco purchased in 2004 weighed 4.1 kg.  It looks like they only offer the 7.25" version these days, so I suspect the new ones are a bit heavier.  

-John

Great to see you around again John! Hope all is good over there with you.

Hi Andrew

Yes would be a solution..will have a look over winter..

Plus I guess with the flame heating the tyre might get extra grip!

Dave, just pulled apart my carbon-canned silencer. It's a 3" one, 6" diameter and 2ft long.

Weights are:

Outer tube: 320g

End caps: 1092g

Wadding (far too much was in there): 1310g

Perforated tube: 994g

Mounting bracket (pretty chunky): 195g

Looks like I mis-remembered the weight too, that lot comes to 3.9kg rather than 4.9.

So it looks like you're right... the weight is 'everywhere'. Not really much weight to save (with the carbon sleeve) except titanium end caps and perforated sleeve!

Edit: just did a weight calculation for stainless outer sleeve in same dimensions of 1mm thickness, comes to 2.27kg!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AdamR said:

Dave, just pulled apart my carbon-canned silencer. It's a 3" one, 6" diameter and 2ft long.

Weights are:

Outer tube: 320g

End caps: 1092g

Wadding (far too much was in there): 1310g

Perforated tube: 994g

Mounting bracket (pretty chunky): 195g

Looks like I mis-remembered the weight too, that lot comes to 3.9kg rather than 4.9.

So it looks like you're right... the weight is 'everywhere'. Not really much weight to save (with the carbon sleeve) except titanium end caps and perforated sleeve!

Edit: just did a weight calculation for stainless outer sleeve in same dimensions of 1mm thickness, comes to 2.27kg!

Good stuff - thanks for taking the time to do that. Very cool.

I've ordered a SuperTrapp and it's going to arrive today. I hope to get a bracket made for it very soon so that I can test it. The claimed weight is 3.4 kg without whatever bracket I make for it so it's pretty light. My concern is that it will be louder than I want and only time will tell. It cost $210 shipped so it's not too spendy. I'll be sure to report back with the actual weights and how loud it is....or isn't.

dave

• Like 1

Well the Supertrapp arrived and I made a bracket for it and bolts it on and all went very well. It sounds great sitting in the driveway but I'm not taking it for a drive today because the temperature is currently 15° F (-9°C) and that's just too cold for it to be any fun.

I weighed the old silencer and brackets and of course did the same with the Supertrapp and the total weight loss ended up being 5.2 lbs (2.4kg). Once I've driven it and put it on the dyno and tested it I'll report back. That could be awhile as it's full on winter here but if I can pull it off soon I will.

dave

DSC_8648.jpg

DSC_8656.jpg

• Like 2

That looks crazy! If it does the job though... thanks for your investigations, keen to see how it turns out!

weird looking silencer

interesting concept the supertrapp.    Not sure how free flowing as it basically involves separating the gas flow and making it change direction by 90 degrees. I also wonder if on a Westfield it needs something to get the exhaust gases to be directed away from the body work.,   

• Like 1