MX-5 (the whole car) experts?

Kingster

22 minutes ago, RussH said:

But the NB is nowhere near 250kg heavier than the NA.... but I do agree go for a 1.8. 

You're right, in stock form the NB is 'only' 100kgs heavier, but we've got our track hack down to 800kgs, so it's nearly 250kgs heavier. I stand by my point! :d

Yeah, defo check all along the sills. The internal drain for the soft top (behind the seats, corners of parcel shelf) clogs with leaves, moss etc and the water overflows down into the sills along with muck that then blocks the sill drains. If the car is regularly parked nose down the front of the sills rot out too.

I've had two NAs and an NB, and all needed sill work because previous owners didn't keep the drains clear. With all three cars, I pulled out all the soft top canvas/frame as soon as I got them and just ran with a hardtop full-time - negates the drain issue, gives more luggage space for touring, and frankly I think they look better with hardtops.

Whatever rollbar/cage you go for, make sure that the back-stays go through the parcel shelf to the chassis rails below, and not just bolted to the floor of the parcel shelf.

I had a 1997 1.8 NA Classic, then went to a 1998 1.8 NB but just couldn't warm to the jelly-mould exterior and modern interior so only had it for six months. Went back to an 1997 NA 1.8 Harvard, and changed it around a bit - brakes, shocks, JDM BR minilites, swapped out the leather for all-black interior (the way old-school JDMs should be) and early NB seats (with the adjustable headrests - very comfy).

DSCF1006.thumb.JPG.cbf6bf3764636c9f885e06ac5c39667a.JPGDSCF3569.thumb.JPG.6ea65f84207273e5ea2d7e8142b795a7.JPG.

Had a 2.0 Mk3 after that, but that was just 'a car' - nowhere near the charisma of a Mk1. So started looking around for a Westfield, and I'm hooked!

3 hours ago, BCF said:

bit of an idiot (like father like son...

Haha - no he’s quite sensible really. Plus has only just passed his test a few years back. 

I think it is more a case of his mate loves the car and wants it to go to a good home as it’s just not being used. My young un hadn’t really been looking for one but now quite likes the idea. 

• Like 1

Do you know how much his mate is asking for it? Would have to be a bargain for it to be worthwhile, and I'm guessing from what you've said about it being meticulously cared for, the current owner might not see it that way...?

Bit blunt but here goes.. Barny is right. The NB 1.6 is the worst MX5 there is (apart from maybe the NC 1.8). Still a lot of fun, but all the others are better, and there's no shortage of them available for sale. So it needs to be cheap!

On 25/11/2018 at 17:44, BCF said:

Do you know how much his mate is asking for it? Would have to be a bargain for it to be worthwhile, and I'm guessing from what you've said about it being meticulously cared for, the current owner might not see it that way...?

Not sure, will see what he says.

On 25/11/2018 at 18:00, AdamR said:

Bit blunt but here goes.. Barny is right. The NB 1.6 is the worst MX5 there is (apart from maybe the NC 1.8). Still a lot of fun, but all the others are better, and there's no shortage of them available for sale. So it needs to be cheap!

Think it’s more of a heart than head purchase. I will try and steer the sprogg in the right direction- but he may be happy doing what he’s doing  :)

Thanks for all the info though, most helpful:yes:

• Like 1

Yep. 1.6 MK2 is the worst to have. That doesnt means is bad...

For road use will be just as good as any other mx5 really. Still fun with great dynamics and so...but as the others have said, having the HUGE market of mx5 around, I would just discard it, unless is sold for 4 or £500 quid... and is inmaculate so it means a bargain. If not, I would take my chances with any other car available on the market for this price, and spare a bit of budget for welding and undersealing.

A 1.6 Mk2 has just come up for sale on MX5 Nuts at £1900 or offers, no rot at all,  what a crazy price bearing in mind what has been said on here.

Is an optimistic price.

Difficult to evaluate from this description, but people is trying to boubble up the mx5 market, bur the truth is that market is still saturated.

For £2k I would be expecting a fairly original imported MK1 with mohair roof and working heated window, with little or zero structural rust, good bodywork and decent interior, but no way that for a 1.6 mk2... not even if it was a time capsule style car... is not good enought and poorly valuated.

Just my opinion after dealing with mx5s fairly often till few months ago...

• 2 months later...

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd revive this one. Now the westy has gone I need something to fill a trackday hole in my garage. Thinking along the lines of an mx5. Ideally a mk1 it will truly be a track car. So taking on board am I right in thinking if I aimed for the 1.8mk1 and stripped it out would be my best bet. I don't really want to go down the turbo route again so would prefer to stay n/a. What are your thoughts 

They are amazing fun on track especially if you don’t have too much money invested in it...

@BCF will be along shortly to evangelise....

Stop thinking and just do it. Insane amounts of fun and cheap as chips to run.

Go early 1.6 import, strip out the carpets, remove power steering, remove aircon, remove headlights. Fit brake cylinder stopper (or chassis brace with one attached), do MC brake bias mod, then go have some fun. Recommended mods following that are a roll bar, an LSD and some lowering springs. Cheap road tyres make for a lot of fun, cheap second hand semi slicks making for slightly faster fun. 

If you want to do it in a budget (as we have done with ours), these can be run super cheaply. E.g. an axle set of pads is £13. I just bought 14 semi slicks for £100. Lowering springs were £50 (but I sold the shocks they came on so actually cost £20). 

Yesterday at Bedford we did 282 track miles, used 105 litres of fuel, and the car stayed switched on and running from 1pm to 4.30pm. You cannot beat it for value! And we're typically one of the quicker cars out there. 

Reliability wise it's been spot on - we had an overheating issue that was simply a clogged up radiator, we had brake failure quite recently that was a failed caliper, but other than that it's been very reliable over around 2-3000 track miles.

See @AdamR's munter for a full on stripped out track beast, see our silver ****ter for a slightly tamed version.