How long to lose a license......

Steve (sdh2903)

When we were 17 my mate lasted 8 days after passing his test, before a horrendous crash followed by losing his licence. I always thought that was a record. 

I went in the car with him only once, we travelled from my house and were going to the local town, it was petrifying, at the first junction he stopped and I jumped out, it turned out to be a good move. 2 days later, he plus 3 of my friends and 2 people in the other car were in hospital. 

When I passed my test it was just three days before I wrote off the works van on the chip run. Young people make mistakes..

When I enrolled at Doncaster Tech for motor engineering, the tutor asked us all one by one to stand up when he called our names. After he had finished he explained that if this class followed normal years two of us in that class would be dead by the end of the year!

He was correct, one killed by on a motor bike accident the other was crushed when a truck fell off the axle stands. By the end of the second year another had also been killed in a car accident. 

I took off all the running gear in the left hand side of my mum's fiat punto 10 minutes after passing my first test hitting a massive kerb...

Suspension, wishbone brakes and wheels. kinda cool, subframe stayed in place. and bodwork wasnt hit at all...

5 hours later I was returning the car like "nothing happened" after expending all my savings in the local breakers, and with a lot of help of my former boss in the workshop.

I think if you ask around in the petrolhead comunity, full of kids with no fear at all and with much more enthusiasm than skills(AKA Idiots), you will find that most of them have had serious adventures in the first few days of legal driving in open roads... I'm still astonished of how well me and my group of friends survived that days... other people has not been that lucky.

• Like 1

I grew up in Guernsey (top speed limit of 35 mph).  A school friend of mine rolled his VW polo after hitting a kerb not long after passing his test.  The headline in the local paper was "Too Fast Too Soon".  Needless to say that article, which the rest of us took as a euphemism, was cut out and pinned on the sixth form common room wall.  It still gets mentioned 26 years later.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:10, maurici said:

I took off all the running gear in the left hand side of my mum's fiat punto 10 minutes after passing my first test hitting a massive kerb...

Suspension, wishbone brakes and wheels. kinda cool, subframe stayed in place. and bodwork wasnt hit at all...

5 hours later I was returning the car like "nothing happened" after expending all my savings in the local breakers, and with a lot of help of my former boss in the workshop.

I think if you ask around in the petrolhead comunity, full of kids with no fear at all and with much more enthusiasm than skills(AKA Idiots), you will find that most of them have had serious adventures in the first few days of legal driving in open roads... I'm still astonished of how well me and my group of friends survived that days... other people has not been that lucky.

Knowing you as we do, why am I not surprised by this? :p 

• Haha 2

@JohnI do have this fame of crashing very often... Agree that I take maybe too much risks when competing, but the biggest damage I've ever done on track its been a bent wishbone... and never had any incident in a trackday, and I've been on track A LOT.

And in my defence, after crashing that fiat punto, I didn't had much more impacts in my life, and I've never totaled a car.

Very few of you, can share this good stadistics for someone who used to do about 2k miles a yer on track.

I'm upsed with you now.

9 minutes ago, maurici said:

@JohnI do have this fame of crashing very often... Agree that I take maybe too much risks when competing, but the biggest damage I've ever done on track its been a bent wishbone... and never had any incident in a trackday, and I've been on track A LOT.

And in my defence, after crashing that fiat punto, I didn't had much more impacts in my life, and I've never totaled a car.

Very few of you, can share this good stadistics for someone who used to do about 2k miles a yer on track.

I'm upsed with you now.

Oh come on. You are a good sport and we love you. No need to be upset

• Haha 1