Ariel Atom 4

CraigHew

Just noticed this;

Not sure its worth the £40k price tag but it looks seriously good fun.

I also couldn't drive with my knees bent like this guy, and he did seem to go round the same corner 30 times.....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CraigHew said:

Just noticed this;

Not sure its worth the £40k price tag but it looks seriously good fun.

I also couldn't drive with my knees bent like this guy, and he did seem to go round the same corner 30 times.....

Perhaps he likes going round racetracks and likes corners or something? 

Like the Atom and a local Westie owner has been out for test drives recently and is thinking about one for next year ( maybe on our trip away ;)) so you might have a go in one.

Or at minimum eye protection. 

Not sure how he managed to drive at those apparent speeds with just glasses; I used to find mine were hopeless at anything above late thirties/forty miles an hour. Possibly even worse than having nothing, as the air flow would hit my eyes from around the sides of my glasses.

Fortunately I almost always wore a full helmet, which sorted that.

A mate of mine has a SC Atom and he claims that there is very little hits his face as the aero screen works really well on them. It is blisteringly fast but if he gets 2000 miles from a set of rear tyres he is doing well. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BugMan said:

Impressive, but I think that noise at change of gear would become annoying once the novelty has worn off :westy:

I'll be honest, thought it was great at the start of the video, but had definitely worn off for me by the end, so heaven knows what it would be like to live with!

Could you not change the valve for the type that feeds into the exhaust?

18 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

I'll be honest, thought it was great at the start of the video, but had definitely worn off for me by the end, so heaven knows what it would be like to live with!

Could you not change the valve for the type that feeds into the exhaust?

I think you mean a dump valve, back into the air intake and not to atmosphere?

1 minute ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

I think you mean a dump valve, back into the air intake and not to atmosphere?

Could be, not sure what arrangement they're using, you can divert a dump valve back to intake, or on the hot side I've seen waste gate arrangements plumbed back to the main exhaust, rather than its own mini unsilenced exhaust.

I guess thinking about it, a cold side blow off valve is the most likely thing to be on there!

On 21/11/2018 at 11:37, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

I've seen waste gate arrangements plumbed back to the main exhaust, rather than its own mini unsilenced exhaust.

Yeah you can pipe up the external wastegate like that back into the exhaust so its silent,open ones are called 'screamer pipes':blues:

That's the dump valve/blow off valve and to be fair, it's not the most offensive out there. Back when my turbos were cheap I didn't run one at all though, which is where my heart truly lies :d