That was a bit fresh....

NigelO

It was sunny and dry yesterday, and I needed to pop to Halfords for some new horns for the daily driver, so I decided to take the Westie for its final run of the year (I'll be tinkering over winter, so it'll probably be in bits soon)

I had a thick and fluffy fleece on and an (allegedly) wind-proof jacket as well as gloves, fluffy beanie hat, goggles etc, but I was still bl**** freezing!  My legs in particular got very cold, even though I was sitting on on of Aldi's extremely effective heated seat covers.

I'd like to be able to use the car in winter on the rare days when the roads are dry - what are others using to keep warm ? I've previously used a biker jacket, but it is pretty bulky and difficult to move around in

BTW - aero-screen and no heater, so pretty low on creature comforts - my only nod to keeping some of the draught out is half-doors...

Thermal leggings and socks, the rest as you have described. A "proper" windproof jacket makes a big difference. Some folks have manual vents (kind of like you might find on classic mini) in the scuttle/firewall which when open should let in a bit of hot air from the engine; I might try this myself over winter. I think safe to assume, and I'm not suggesting salopettes of full leathers, dress for skiing or biking and you can't go too far wrong.

Being warm-ish and comfortable is a good thing, you need to focus on the tyres/road/weather and how the car is handling in colder conditions.

Ski pants (with elasticated inners) and ski socks at the bottom. Merino baselayer tucked into me undies, down 'puffer' jacket and 'proper' windproof coat up top, with a neck warmer / sleeve to keep wind out. Gloves that are long enough to seal up the ends of the sleeves on your coat are really useful too.

Buff neck warmer can be pulled up over chin and mouth, (used to use when all day at Bisley shooting through out the year) Under armour beanie hat. Wet stuff gloves (windproof even if wet). No gear lever gator. Let's a bit of heat in. 2 pairs of socks. Thin Layers. Under armour heat gear underwear. Defìnately windproof coat.

Could you fit a heater? With a half tonneau cover over the passenger side, it'd be toastie round your legs and waftie up your front. We couldn't be without our heater.

It was fresh yesterday, we set off in fog at 8am for a 1 hour 15 minutes journey down the M1 and M42 to Sutton Coldfield (sunny) in the Westfield, which is probably as cold as we go. Glen had his 'baby grow' on which is a Dickies, overalls style padded suit, that he wears over his normal clothes. That's the easy way. I wear thermals and a jumper, then a fleece jacket, my WSCC windproof jacket and a ski type jacket on top (3 coats). We both wear the neck tubes and pull them over our face, then it is a beanie and a fur hat on top. For keeping our legs warm we put a black 'throw' over our legs, black so it doesn't show up too much. Lastly I wear ear muffs as I find they stop any wind getting into your head, oh and ski gloves are a must. Did I mention the hot water bottle on my lap?

If only more people would put more clothes on then they would be able to enjoy all this wonderful weather in their cars. My advice is - put lots on, then go and put some more on, you can always take it off, I bet you don't.

Well done Nigel for trying find a way to overcome the cold, it is too easy to not bother.

• Like 4

Left home at 6.15 am sunday , thick ice on the windscreens of parked cars. Did a loop of approx 150 miles. No heater, half tonneau, half doors but heated motorcycle jacket and gloves.

balaclava and hat on my head. jeans and normal socks

like this.

https://www.getgeared.co.uk/gerbing-12v-heated-jacket-liner-wr-black?utm_term=4584413732208713&utm_campaign=Bing+Shop+17+1+Low&rcvid=shoppingfeed&utm_medium=bingshopping17&msclkid=85f3e4bfb1f21f91256cbf4c98a50803&utm_content=Catch+All+Low+Bid&utm_source=bingcpc

and

https://www.getgeared.co.uk/gerbing_heated_inner_gloves_black

No problem at all.

Oh and i find sun glasses a must, this time of year if it does come out being low in the sky essential, failing that clear sfaty glasses as being 6'2" my eyes do get the cold blast. I have removed the runner to hunkr down as low as possible behind the screen

@Rory's Dad ha, outdoor swimming, it prepares you well for the driving hobby. I think I am getting dafter as I get older.

Heated vest plus old Motorcycle jacket with Gotex I do have a heater, soft bits half hood and just the passenger door to help with cross wind, light weight motorcycle cloves, rabbit fur hunters hat with side panels snug and a pair of jeans as a bug :sun:

16 hours ago, ziplob said:

whats a heater ?????

It’s the thing that stops Westfield owners moaning about how few miles they did last year! :p :d 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2