Peak District, End of Hulme End as we know it, Sun 25th Nov

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Meet at The Tea Junction, Hulme End, SK17 0EZ at 10.30am for the very last piece of cake made by Rebecca's fair hands. She is closing up for the winter (bad enough news) but she is retiring (great news for Rebecca, devastating news for us Westfield Sponge Cake Club members)

We all love cake for breakfast, so after a sweet start (savoury is available if you must) we will venture 32 miles North, up the terrific Snake Pass for lunch at The Snake Pass Inn, getting home in time to beat the setting sun.

If it rains we will be just be going in the rag top to Hulme End  to eat cake see Rebecca off.

Anyone joining us?

There you go, I have super natural powers, you didn't know that did you? I mention a run up the Snake Pass and guess what has happened today? it has snowed up there. 

Is someone trying to tell me something?

• Haha 1

Diff out for  repair so it's ready for the Santa  run.  

Have a good day

• Sad 1

Not the warmest or sunniest of days tomorrow, but forecast round here is currently reasonable enough! No frost, no rain, and broken cloud...

what a shame to think, though no more tea rooms as we know it.

I am being optimistic for tomorrows weather and should we get to Hulme End and it be iffy I have plan B up my sleeve for lunch on lower ground. Paul VX is joining us for lunch later in his M240i (VX is SORN).

The Tea Junction will close as usual in December and January, when it reopens in February Georgina from Wetton Mill cafe will be running it, lets hope it has the good, homemade fayre on offer that we are used to.

See you in the morning xxx

Edit.   This is the forecast for the Snake Pass, released at 5.30pm today, not too bad.

Tomorrow's Pass Forecast

5:30pm Mainly dry with clear spells in the west through the early hours but eastern hills looks cloudier. Then a bright morning with some sunny spells, the best of these in the west, with rather more cloud in the east with the odd shower around. Clear spells and a few showers continue through the evening.

• Like 1

I guessed someone may buy the business. That’s not a cake stop we’ve ever visited is it, the Wetton Mill cafe?

No, it's a bit of a rubbish cafe, nice location though, we can go if you like for just a coffee, umph, it's dangerously close to the tunnel :devil:

• Haha 1

Good morning, yes, breathe in and we can just about squeeeeze you both in, see ya later:yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Holy cow poo Batman!

cow_poo.jpg.54c1876d6f904011da53f5aa6c12a9c0.jpg

Thanks everyone for making it another great Sunday run out.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

DSC06562.JPG

The day kicked off well when I got asked this first thing morning if I would like to 'feel my leg' by Dave, a girly of my age does not get that opportunity very often, so I had to oblige, oooh it was hot :p. Honda engines are pretty good at looking after their drivers in the winter and keeping them warm, as demonstrated by Dave, he was toasty when he arrived. Bill and I were busy sharing my hot water bottle to warm our right hand, the one stuck out in the open up on the steering wheel.

Anyway, down to business, more to the point down to cake, the homemade, breakfast type, here you go Bakewell tart and treacle tart

DSC06556.JPG

Dave hot legs had his very favourite rhubarb crumble and custard (it is 10.30am) I love how flexible the WSCC members are, they eat anything at any time of the day, love it.

DSC06557.JPG

Bill, Dave and Ian joined us at Hulme End, which is closed after today until next February. Note how lovely and clean these cars are. Bill had new air filters on and after talking to Dave he had a new set of second hand lights coming his way.

DSC06558.JPG

DSC06559.JPG

Richard had a non starter and PaulVX was meeting us at The Snake Inn, so off we went. What a great route, it was quiet and the curls in the road just went on and on, knowing that we still had the Snake Pass waiting for us, I have really enjoyed the driving today. Plus it is always easier with a smaller convoy and the Honda boys behind always do things to my head, loved it.

I did, however, find the big, sludgy, tractor man and possibly the grottiest bit of road in the world, I mean we even had to slow down a bit for it, tut. Bill found most of it :p but Ian decided to wear it :p

DSC06563.JPG

DSC06564.JPG

Dave was doing a line in dried sludge, free to a good home if you want some

DSC06566.JPG

That put us at The Snake Inn, which was empty when we arrived and full of hikers when we left. We enjoyed a nice lunch over some good car based chat, all next to the real fire, toasty.

DSC06567.JPG

It's been a brill day out with great driving, chat and food, I even make it so you can all have the pleasure of washing your cars when you get home, and at least it wasn't cow derived. If there is anyone that can come out next weekend I would very much like to put a run out on, but I know a lot of cars are coming of the road as December hits. Failing that the weekend after (Sat 8th Dec) is a tin top friendly doo with a visit to the GBS (German Bratwurst Sausage, stop it, Great British Sports Cars) factory open day, so hopefully see you there.

• Like 4