Team_Awesome

Turbo Mazda SDV

With a bit more motivation to spend cold days in the garage with the IVA booked I've had a full day on the car to get a few things finished off. I started with the carpets and cut them to fit under the seats. A nice easy job with satisfying results as it really give much more finished look.

Next on the list was the rear view mirror. My aim has always been to use the Longacre mirror that attaches to the cage but I'd read that the brackets are not too IVA friendly. With this in mind I decided to try toake some vinyl covers after taking inspiration from the seat belt mounting covers. They're not the prettiest things but hopefully they'll do the job. They're just made from a sheet of vinyl with pop fasteners attached.

32118367657_b4fd287695_k.jpg

Next we to try and set up the suspension a little bit. Not to be perfect but to be a little closer. I mainly wanted to remove the positive camber that was clearly visible. I borrowed a camber gauge from the race team at work and found that I had 1.8 degrees on both sides. The problem came when I tried to adjust the passenger side and found that I'm at 0 degrees when the joint is full wound in. Not sure where I go from here, any ideas?

40095254793_fca54dc047_k.jpg

After that was set up into the "ok, I'll deal with that after the IVA" position I turned the dampers round so the adjuter was facing inwards and started to change the brake lines. These were bought before I had the longer front suspension and after that was fitted I found that the line was at full length when the suspension was at full travel and full lock as applied. It wasn't especially tight but thought it may not be acceptable so just changed them for a set a few inches longer. Now they are tied to the upper wishbone and have enough length for anything I can throw it it. They also clear all bodywork and suspension.

46336233794_cb56425781_k.jpg

I will put another rubber hose around the brake line just as extra insurance.

Next on the job I wish I never started. Aerocatches. I've seen loads of people with them and they definitely look better than standard Westfield items. I've spent a few hours on the first side and have a decent fit apart from the bonnet is twice as thick as it needs to be. Do people just grind away at it until it's the same thickness as the aerocatch or am I missing something?! Here's where I left it in order to do more research.

40095253423_29afce4b32_k.jpg

40095253423_29afce4b32_k.jpg

47060210501_ac7c1c443c_k.jpg

Absolute pain in the backside. I hope they're worth it!

5 hours ago, Team_Awesome said:

Next on the job I wish I never started. Aerocatches. I've seen loads of people with them and they definitely look better than standard Westfield items. I've spent a few hours on the first side and have a decent fit apart from the bonnet is twice as thick as it needs to be. Do people just grind away at it until it's the same thickness as the aerocatch or am I missing something?! Here's where I left it in order to do more research

You have to thin it out , carefully also if you use epoxy adhesive use a thin bead as mine effected the gelcoat on one side, due to the heat generated when curing.

P1020785.thumb.JPG.7079cbe20743631ce83616d605193598.JPG

It all depends on the fibreglass as it will differ in thickness from car to car, it’s a slow process to get them right.

Just stuck mine in with carbond without any issues.

10 minutes ago, Andy (Sycho) said:

It all depends on the fibreglass as it will differ in thickness from car to car, it’s a slow process to get them right.

Just stuck mine in with carbond without any issues.

Yes I think Carbond would work better as once they're in there going nowhere. 

Is Carbond a non-heat generating solution? I have got some epoxy for it, I didn't think about the heat.

I what way was it affected?

I've gone back this evening and started again. Definitely could do better but lessons learned for the passenger side..... The hole itself could be neater although it's not terrible and the flange will be cut on both sides more as you see how close I came to going through the gel coat, the light is shining through! Once finished I'll put some more fibreglass over that bit.

47011571202_34eeffed6b_k.jpg

47063864561_c3c1a62db0_k.jpg

1 hour ago, Team_Awesome said:

Is Carbond a non-heat generating solution? I have got some epoxy for it, I didn't think about the heat.

Yes Carbond is non heat generating, it is a PU adhesive/sealant.

1 hour ago, Team_Awesome said:

I just put too much on and it sort of crinkled the gelcoat, mind you nobody has noticed it, Ive bought some gelcoat to patch it up post IVA. If you already have epoxy just try it on a scrap piece first .

That may well be the best way to go. From what I find online, the exothermic reaction will be a lot less while the ambiant temeprature is so low.

15 minutes ago, Chris Brading said:

I used this as recommended by Bugman,  No heat damage to bodywork although it did get hot.  I thought this was brilliant!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scott-Bader-Crestabond-M7-05-Methacrylate-Structural-Adhesive-50ml/381979750906?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Can report no issues with my catches, best way I reduced the fiberglass side panel thickness was to put a small cut-off wheel through the hole from the outside and then pull it back against the inside to remove the material 

Just be slow and careful when your grinding and this will give you a nice flat gluable surface :westy:

IMG_3267.thumb.JPG.8cb2e34c0475ce99a0c6127ee0f50924.JPG

Very neat job! I was using a carbide burr and it's nowhere near as good! 

I'll get the Dremel out on the other side and give it a go.

Well that's both sides done. No pics of the other side as I was not in the mood while covered in dust. The water went light pink when I washed my hair! It's not perfect but I tried my best. I may need some gel coat when I do my post IVA dress up work.

• Like 1

I double checked the aerocatch fit today and had to spend 20 more mins on the fitment of those. I think I can do something decent with those.

I moved onto the cycle wings after that. Working at a place that builds 1000 cars a day it wasn't difficult to find a friendly car painter to sort out the brackets that had cracked when being massaging into a nice fitment. I was going to attach them using fixing blocks as a spacer but these proved to be too big so I just used 2 nuts to hold the nut in position like so

46361404994_979f965107_k.jpg

They ended up fitting quite well.

46361405094_acc5ad1195_k.jpg

The end goal is to use carbon fibre ones but these will suffice for now.

Glad to hear your making progress on the catches, I spent a long time thinking of how I could get the best fit but also went a bit red in the progress :westy: