Your experiences of... Toyota MR2 Turbo (MK2)

B.RAD

As I'm drawing nearer to decisions for next year, I'm wondering what your collective experience is of a MK2 Toyota MR2 Turbo?

I'm liking them because it ticks the turbo box for me (never had a turbo as a hobby car) and the power/weight ratio is good, as is the relative value for money.  But is an NA a better choice for a track car?

I had a NA Mk2. MR2. Great fun and a driver focused car, but you were always aware of where the engine was and where it wanted to be! I always used the expensive OE Bridgstones  all round which were grippy but only lasted 3000-4000 miles for the back end! I imagine a turbo brings a whole host more of challenges in keeping it pointing in the right direction!

At least you'll be saving it from become a donor for a fake Ferrari ;-:p

You will have to go a long way to get a mk2 that hasn't got rusted arches or the sill rusting out.I managed to get one last year that had only been used on the uk roads for 4 years then sat in a garage for the rest. First thing i'm going to o before putting it on the road is fill every where with wax oil.

A guy on the 200SX owners club chopped in his S14a for a 300bhp one all done out. He stuffed on a slip road a week later. They do have a rep as widow makers and are now not cheap as dave has said, getting rare. JDM stuff is going up in value.

for me the performance bargain is the mk3 like a lotus elise can get a good one for a grand or so then honda k swap it.  This seems to go alright 

I had a rev 2 Turbo - contrary to the above I found the back end quite planted, and that was on T1Rs back in the day!

Very fast, sounded awesome, easily tweaked, not super reliable (Mine anyway)

sounded like Darth Vadar breathing down your neck. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SXRORY said:

A guy on the 200SX owners club chopped in his S14a for a 300bhp one all done out. He stuffed on a slip road a week later. They do have a rep as widow makers and are now not cheap as dave has said getting rare. JDM stuff is going up 

for me the performance bargain is the mk3 like a lotus elise can get a good one for a grand or so then honda k swap it.  this seems to go alright 

The mk3 is more snappy than the turbo in the wet , its down to the lsd I know i'm driving one at the moment but can be fun if abused correctly and getting rid of the rear anti roll bar so you can feel the back through your bum rather than waiting it to snap.

5 minutes ago, RussH said:

I had a rev 2 Turbo - contrary to the above I found the back end quite planted, and that was on T1Rs back in the day!

What about when it was moving :p

I had a rev3 turbo many moons ago. I loved the car, but it was starting to be infested with rust (as many of them will be).

Power / weight isn't tremendously high for the earlier rev1/rev2 turbos either, but they take well to upgrades for more power.

I had an N/A too and I enjoyed it a lot, but you never felt it was quick (~170bhp, 1300kgs)

As already mentioned above, I never got more than 4000 miles from a set of rear tyres either.

18 hours ago, SXRORY said:

A guy on the 200SX owners club chopped in his S14a for a 300bhp one all done out. He stuffed on a slip road a week later. They do have a rep as widow makers and are now not cheap as dave has said, getting rare. JDM stuff is going up in value.

for me the performance bargain is the mk3 like a lotus elise can get a good one for a grand or so then honda k swap it.  This seems to go alright 

that video is of dannydc2's k20swapped mr2. if your looking for a down to earth video blogger who blogs about trackdays his channel is well worth a subscription

33 minutes ago, Ben (bunje) said:

that video is of dannydc2's k20swapped mr2. if your looking for a down to earth video blogger who blogs about trackdays his channel is well worth a subscription

Yep enjoy his stuff, can pedal too

Ask @RobT, one of our Essex Boyz, he's just sold his MR2 and now a Westfield owner.  Used it for road and track.

I built a forged engine for my friends one and loved driving it.  The way they squat and launch is amusing.

If you do get one and need to replace the clutch never ever assume the gearbox is the same weight as other gearboxes you have removed.  If you do you may find yourself vpinned to the floor!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1