Chris Brading

IVA date 14 of December

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 08:13, Chris Brading said:

Thanks for that, I am very close on the southern boarder of Oxfordshire just off the A34

I might be around this Saturday to look over if you want ( need to check with the current wife as they have their own diaries though ! )

Funny that my wife’s a current as well!

she currently p***ed off with how much time I am spending in the garage :p

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Chris Brading said:

Funny that my wife’s a current as well!

she currently p***ed off with how much time I am spending in the garage :p

They all say that until you come back in the house, watch car programs on the TV. generally annoy her in a way we cant see we do, belch and fart , make bad cups of tea for them and 'discuss' things while she is reading an important part of a novel and then they say ' havent you something more important to do in the garage tonight ?' :d

• Haha 3

Sorry for only just picking up this thread, but if it's any help my FW had its IVA at Bristol at the end of August (and passed). I'm aware that different inspectors may have different opinions but I have the exactly the same issue with my driver's mirror - and my inspector commented that due to having adequate visibility with the rear view, this was not an issue to him. Doesn't stop it being annoying though!

"Observations" at my IVA were that the low-level sensor on the brake fluid reservoir didn't appear to be working - he had a good fiddle taking the cap/insert in and out trying to make it light up the brake light on the dash (I promised that I would sort it out - and did so the next weekend (it needed the top of the cap pushing down)); he said that the button to activate the heated windscreen should have a label with it to state what it was (also done); and that my headlights were out of alignment - he allowed (and helped) these to be set correctly. He, like some of the others have said, commented that the rear lights were borderline, but still passed, just make sure they're not too recessed into the rear bodywork.

As the other guys have said, first appearances seemed to count for quite a lot. I very much got the impression that if the car looks well built, it's half way there already. My inspector could not have been more helpful. Best of luck!

Thanks Steve,

Its reassuring to hear about the mirror, I have labelled heated screen and mileage reset button as well ( the labels have a retro naff look about them ) Interesting what you say about the low level brake light, I can get mine to work in theory with a multi meter if shaken, I will have another look. The rear lights I have moved outwards so should be okay. I was going to drive down to Bristol the afternoon before the test staying with Family then the short trip to Avonmouth but my insurance will not allow this fragmented journey so I will hire a trailer instead.  My Father-in-law built a car and used avonmouth and at the time it had a reputation for being very tough so we shall see.