Chris Brading

IVA date 14 of December

The big day is now booked, I am hoping for a little bit of Christmas cheer from  the IVA inspector!:d  It will certainly be a cold trip for me from Oxfordshire to Bristol but it could of been worse they did offer Aberdeen! If the weather is bad I will book a trailer if not I will drive down.   I am worried about my driver side wing mirror not being able adjust below horizontal is this normal?

I shall take lots of tools as well as paper work and photos, do I need >

A trolley jack?  Speedo  and fuel tank certification?

• Like 1

I was offered Southampton and Bristol and went for Bristol. I rented a transporter for the 200 mile round trip.

The inspectors (one trainee) were very helpful, made my wife and I a nice coffee,  and it passed. I took tools, cable ties, bolts, washer and fuses but didn't bother with a trolley jack. I have a Koso speedo and they allowed me to calibrate it on the rolling road, (it was miles out) but I have a rear mounted speed sensor, so yes, take all your certificates and paperwork. (Even your cycling proficiency!)

They didn't like the standard FW rear light recess, saying it failed the 8% rule, being too far set into the bodywork but they allowed me to pack them out with washers during the test to get the pass. (I don't believe others have had this so it may have been because the trainee had just spent two weeks reading the manual.)

It's best not to use the phrase "for IVA" during conversation, which implies some of the IVA items may fall off after the test. They wish to feel they are testing a car in finished/final condition. I think it also helps to talk to them in a way that shows you have read the IVA guide.

I had no problems with the rear brakes locking up, which has been a problem for some. I made an appointment with my nearest MOT station for a pre MOT just before the IVA. I found that really helpful and the potholes around here at least gave the car a good shake up. The jury is out as to the legality of driving to a pre MOT for a non registered car as one is not legally required. I pre booked, and arranged full cover with my insurance company, their message was you are OK to drive there, but not back if it fails!

I found the emissions test and rolling road during the IVA difficult to watch/listen to on a brand new engine. I was the guinea pig for new kit they had. They placed a magnetic sensor on the engine block to provide them with an independent RPM value for the emissions test, rather than use my rev counter. 

As other have said I think their first 10 minutes walk around is very important, so think about kerb appeal.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks Alan,

I think my speedo is correct but it is good to know I can calibrate it against the equipment.  I have spaced the rear lights further out of the recesses  (probably after reading your IVA? ) I actually like the rear lights this way. Yes there will be no mention of for the IVA from me and I better start reading the guide as I have been heavily reliant on this forum which has been brilliant.

I have pre-tested mine on a rolling rd also set the geometry and corner weights as well plus headlights and emissions all good now.  I have travelled 70 miles so far and the brakes  are still bedding in and I found it impossible to lock anything up at all but it  did stop quickly though.

So are the drivers mirror's all like mine?   I was planning to raise the seating position by about 25mm plus 50mm further forward anyway as Me and Karen are not the tallest people in the world ( at the moment  when Karen drives  she looks like that scene in Ripping Yarns where you can only see the lady's arms on the steering wheel )

I will put some photos up soon when I have cleaned her.

1 hour ago, Chris Brading said:

... but it is good to know I can calibrate it against the equipment.

I believe Bristol can only calibrate if the speed sensor is on the rear wheels like mine. I used the standard Koso sensor and made a bracket for the rear, rather than the front based one Westfield use. Sounds good with your rear light recess. I'm just 5' 7" and the drivers mirror is ok for me.

Well done for hitting 70 miles, mine had only done 4 miles when I reached the MOT station.

Nothing wrong with the Granite City Gary, had some good times there, but it's a 1,032 mile round trip for me.

• Thanks 1

Good to have a date, best of luck.

Good advice from Alan. I took edging, neoprene tape, cable ties, bag of extra IVA covers (had a load left over from my build), loads of tools. Make sure youve got a socket to fit your wheel nuts, the examiner asked me to remove one so he could check the number of threads before it nipped the wheel. Think I've seen somebody else post up that they had to do the same!

Took my iPad in case any detail build photos could help answer any queries.

Also took some homemade fruit cake, went down well with the examiner, who supplied the coffee ;).

Trailerd mine, but it was a wet trip, so took cleaning gear to give the car a clean when we got there, just to try and make a good first impression! I'd bought a "walker St Clair" cockpit cover which was useful to keep the interior dry whilst waiting for the test station to open,    Find its an invaluable bit of kit, packs away to nothing, quick and easy to put on and off, use it most times when I park up when out on a run.

Try and enjoy the experience, think most examiners want to pass your car (Westies are designed to pass IVA, which is a good start), whilst doing a thorough job.

• Like 1

Advertised in the WSCC mag. Usually somewhere near the back.

This is mine being used in anger:

image.thumb.jpeg.2d5e027fd1d8bd08f2360f37038297c4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e60f25dd0436d31379c92a34bbd57cee.jpeg

@Chris Brading if you want the car looking over before the big day I am happy to come and have a look for you to see if there is anything you may have missed

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KugaWestie said:

@Chris Brading if you want the car looking over before the big day I am happy to come and have a look for you to see if there is anything you may have missed

Good idea Gary. Another pair of eyes can spot things that maybe missed :t-up: