What clutch material

Simon Waterfall Syman84

As the gearbox is having a check over in the off season I'm going to pop a new clutch in while everything is apart. 

So question is what to put in. Different material organic/sintered. Full/paddle

Don't really know much about this so any help appreciated.

1600 k series 185bhp to quaife type 9

Cheers

Simon, I assume you still run a cable operated clutch? It also depends on what diameter clutch / flywheel you are running. If it helps, mine is a cable operated single plate organic Super Clutch which serves me well (well at least until the last 2 events of this season when I needed it to behave and then it started slipping after 5 years use)

I see no reason to over complicate things with multi plate, paddle clutches etc in your case

Thanks John

Cable operated 190mm friction plate.

Looked at Helix. Where are super clutches sold? I vaguely remember you saying that they are available again recently.

Hi Simon

I have been using a AP Clutch Cover and Plate that the Caterham guys recommend for engines up to about 220HP and 1800cc so moor torque.

Not had any issues in the 6 years or so its been fitted.

Think the numbers are 72603R (cover) and 72602R (plate). My memory is a little vague now but I am sure when I bought them i got the from Redline components 

Email:      sales@redlinecomponents.co.uk
Phone:     +44 (0) 1883 346515

I am sure when I looked into it further  they were actually ford fit parts.

This is amusing you have a standard 1400 or 1600 size and bolt configuration type flywheel and not one designed for a 71/2" Clutch

Ian

• Like 1

Just popped to the garage to get my paperwork. Thought I had better check :blush:

I got the cover from redline its listed as a up-rated R500VHPD cover and has the code 72603R but i don't think that's a AP code probably a Caterham one as I cant find it on there website.

The plate, I cant find the invoice for but do have the label from the box the AP part number is CP2257-9

Hope that's of some help.

I know I spent ages reading into it and this seemed the best compromise without going full competition set up, paddle or twin plate. just cant for the life of me remember when i got it from.

A search of Blatchat may help. :suspect: :getmecoat:

18 hours ago, syman84 said:

Thanks John

Cable operated 190mm friction plate.

Looked at Helix. Where are super clutches sold? I vaguely remember you saying that they are available again recently.

As Keith says. Super Clutch are now SF Technic and dealt with by Craig at SBD

190mm is not 7.25" (more like 7.5") so god knows what you have. Probably a standard Rover item

I have 1400 k series partially lightened flywheel with a Helix updated clutch cover and paddle centre plate but not ceramic material

Has worked well for me over a number of years 

I can fish out the paperwork for you if it would be of interest to get the correct part helix numbers?

You now have at least 3 different options to consider!

G

• Like 1

Mardi Gras Motorsport (previously at Silverstone now moved to Banbury) are a main Helix distributor and usually have a good selection of product in stock as well as some good technical advice std

G

Another vote for helix paddle friction plate, I use that with a std Valeo cover plate and has served me well for a few season now. 

Not that I’m aggressive on starts or tyre warming :cry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1