Readying the Garage

Ruttager

I used an old piece of dining room carpet on my garage floor. Foolishly though, not remembering my driveway seems to be the local cat toilet, without realising I ran through a rather large dollop :blush: which then involved 30 mins of carpet and R888 cleaning before Westy could go night-nights.

It'll get a boot up the jacksie if I ever catch it.

3 hours ago, markat said:

I used an old piece of dining room carpet on my garage floor. Foolishly though, not remembering my driveway seems to be the local cat toilet, without realising I ran through a rather large dollop :blush: which then involved 30 mins of carpet and R888 cleaning before Westy could go night-nights.

It'll get a boot up the jacksie if I ever catch it.

I've used an old bit of carpet before, but after a while it soaks oil in and if your foolish enough to fire up the angle grinder, when it combusts into a 'reasonably' sized fire :o, you then learn a new dance. It involves a frantic stare, followed closely behind of shear panic , this leads onto trying to unlock the rear garage door , and with 8 thumbs, turning the garden tap on. What follows is the black mess leaving the front of the garage , as the fire is extinguished , followed by a pile of smoldering carpet being stacked neatly by the wheelie bin :laugh:

Ex missus , walks out the house ' I can smell burning !'

Me: ' nah, I cant. Must be someone with a bonfire or something'

Ex missus ' Oh, I cant see anything upstairs in the house'

Me ' Don't worry yourself. What fool would burn anything in a housing estate ?' 

Ex missus ' its weird, oh well, never mind'

Me ' I decided that  want to put proper flooring in the garage for the Westie to park onto, I think the carpet was a bad idea' ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks everyone. I considered those tiles back when I first did the garage and I'm still tempted. If I can keep the cost sensible then it would make a good weekend project and would level the floor out a bit. What do you do about spills? Are you able to pull a few tiles up in the middle to mop up? Or do you have to work from an edge. I've been known to spill tea on more than one occasion and I don't like the idea of it going all manky under the tiles. Oh, and oil n stuff too. 

I've spent far too long this week looking at little plastic squares. 

If I may add a suggestion, I bought some vinyl flooring from ebay. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Quality-Vinyl-Flooring-Woods-Stone-and-Tile-Designs-Lino-Kitchen-NEW/131718710374?hash=item1eab0c0466:m:mgj4XStvSfGowDKPOpSPcKQ

B75D879D-B437-4ABA-92B8-F1796C6D8D87.thumb.jpeg.8ccb93092145c0bd13cc725ed2eae961.jpeg

reasonably soft under feet, excellent for sweeping away drillings and cable tie ends.  Also easy to mop up oils/fluids. Smooth enough to move a loaded engine hoist around too. 

About £70 for a 4m x 3m piece. Quick to lay as well. Non marking/scratching if placing bodywork on it. 

• Like 3

+1 for vinyl flooring. I got a white piece on tinternet.  Its Survived my build, easy to keep clean, and find things on when you drop them. No problems with water dripping off the car after getting caught out in the rain. It will happen believe me ;).

Morning all. 

I went for the duramat tiles in the end.. They had an offer on this week and went for blue and white check for a bit of colour. (I'm going to regret the whit but they were cheaper than grey and I didn't want black). 

If I'm lucky they will arrive today. I've got the dilemma of do I stay in and wait and it not showing up or risk venturing out and missing the delivery. 

Toybox have 2 v8s that I'm waiting for the spec on. I've also got a load of work on the house to get sorted which may delay the purchase unless one comes up that the mrs and I fall in love with. 

Photos of garage when tiles arrive will be done. I know you all like that sort of thing. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Interesting to know your thoughts on the floor as will buy it today if OK

I'll let you know when they arrive. Didn't turn up today so it will. Be Thursday at the earliest now. Weekend away next so it'll be a while before I get to install them :(

Always sunny in Norfolk! Yes a good day for painting the floor.. got carried away in the nice weather and done first coat on walls too!

Trying to get it finished work the winter working!

@Mole is that a new build wooden garage? Was thinking of getting one of those to increase my project space? 

I've just bought the Duramat flooring in black coin as my Christmas week off project to install , so that should be interesting rather than watching rubbish TV. Wife said that's now guarantee'd rain for the week. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1