Readying the Garage

Ruttager

Well the flooring is here and we are supposed to be in Krakow for a long weekend with a rabble of friends , but the latest wife got struck down with sickness on Tuesday and she is still pretty poorly. So, my delivery driver from work drops the flooring off and she is crashed on the sofa........... i think you may have an inkling on what happens next. Yes, as per my previous post, it is raining and I am not one to really want to sit on my back door grapes, so I started and got about 2/3rds down. Easy as an easy thing, but I bought a upvc cutting disc from Screwfix to cut them. What happens then is you loose all vision for the grey fire that appears to fill the room. Not wanting to open the garage as the dehumidifier is on, I soldier on in pea soup vision :laugh: 

20181206_180518.thumb.jpg.8daf5f91757759881fb43f2d436cd90c.jpg

I have also joined @Steve (sdh2903) club of angle grinding my knuckle , which is not a great thing to do really, but I didnt want to feel left out of his club. Come to think of it, its a daft club to be in as it bl**** hurts :rolleyes:

I then resorted to a laminate cutting hand saw and it makes less mess , no smoke bombs and also currently no fingers have claret leaking from them.

20181206_201100_(1).thumb.jpg.5b7685e7b57f715c9e4f9f848a21c99f.jpg

First picture has a bit of a haze about it, weirdly and that was after I had left the room, had dinner and washed up :laugh:

Tomorrow consists of moving the tool boxes and shortening bench legs while it rains and if it stops raining , then push the Westie out and finish under there. Its not ' quite' the sizing they suggest , but I will put some alloy angle against the wall to hide the gap and still allow for expansion. Oh and also take the other 2 cutting discs for UPVC back to screwfix as they lied about being a cutting disc, they were fire discs :d

Oh and Christmas job finished a little early again :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

And all completed by Friday lunchtime . Pretty happy with the floor. Seems a lot warmer than just the rubber sheet I had down ( which I left down underneath as a membrane ) So, its about 16mm thick to the concrete below now . This should keep the cold concrete from condensating when the air warms in there now , so the humidifier has less to do. 

20181208_225328.thumb.jpg.83f9b68ebff833687879dbcaec9a73e8.jpg

• Like 3

Nice job ! I'm interested in doing the same. Is it comfortable to kneel on ? 

• Thanks 1

On 15/12/2018 at 14:23, neptune said:

Nice job ! I'm interested in doing the same. Is it comfortable to kneel on ? 

Cheers. Actually its not too bad , not that I have done much kneeling on it other than when I fitted it all. The tiles are hard plastic but glad I went coin than the chequered stuff . Its a bit 'clacky' walking on it and I did by some poly adhesive to stop that but decided to try with out it. Issues is with expansion in the summer. I have bought some square gutter down pipe and sliced diagonally to finish it off and although I need to trim the edges, seems really neat. I did use the 'fire disc' to cut one side and found I looked like a chimney sweep, with dust everywhere. I lost my watch on my wrist and my face was completely black. Had to wash up before heading back to work and it was falling out my hair to on my desk :d

I cut the rest using the laminate saw and less grit and dust and I didnt need to wash myself down afterwards.

I need to finish the edges with my belt sander and then I have some damp seal to go under and affix to the wall.

20181215_143039.thumb.jpg.5c0db14709ad66e989e4d37adb9a01f7.jpg

Did they require a dpm underneath? Or did you just leave the rubber for extra insulation ? 

I left the rubber floor down. I believe that the floor was getting damp at times because it was so cold, then when warm humid air was in there it went wet. I have a little damp on the walls from neighbours building their patio too high :angry: But, I am going to wire brush the paint off and seal with some concrete seal. Issue is that it stinks big time, so cant do it without the doors open.

I am hoping with the thickness I have put down I then have a better barrier between cold floor and new floor. Wife says its warmer to get her wellies on now when she takes the dogs out for walks.

• 4 weeks later...

Bringing this one back up after a month or so of being down. A review.

The positives

The flooring is really good. Its not too bad to kneel onto ( coin version) , even though I have a prayer mat. You can do stuff for reasonable times without suffering , even with my knackered knees. It also seems not to get stuff stuck to it, such as the mud off the wife's wellies from dog walking and a soft broom seems to get rid of it when dry. I got a bit of water on the floor the other day and a quick wipe and was gone. It also doesn't show the use of the trolley jack sliding around . It didn't seem that costly at £430 for 6 mtres squared including the ramps. There are cheaper, but you pays yer money and I think its good for the cost.

The negatives

It doesn't seem to keep shape with a heavy object on it. My tool chest wheels have sunken into the tiles as has the motorbike on the hydraulic stand. I have made some ply shims to put under the motorbike, which has cured that and seems I need to do similar with the tools. These are damn heavy, especially the tool trolley chest. 

There is a couple of edges which pop up, which I will lift one up , squidge of glue and put back down at some point. I suspect it might be the cold causing it, which may get better now the garage is insulated.

If you are looking for flooring then I can recommend Duramat. Its easy to fit, comes with a free mallet and turned up in a couple of days. :t-up:

• Like 1

Hi

How's it doing with the cold.. is there a noticeable improvement when laying down?

Also how has the condensation been now it is down?

Looks good.. 

I have painted mine and now trying to decide if to just have some thick rubber mats either side of the car for working on.. or to look at doing similar to yours...

IMG_20181226_103810081.jpg

• Like 1

It seem fine . It still does get cold out , but I was working in there last night and noted that the heat had gone up from 7 to 8.5 from just tinkering for 40 mins or so. The lighting is all LED and not creating much if no heat. So was me. I was just kneeling down for 1/2 hour finishing off the garage door insulation just now and never noticed any discomfort from doing that. Quite happy also with humidity, but we havent had much rain. I may even concrete seal behind the edges tomorrow, as looks pretty dry and ready to splodge it down .

Ok.. I will see how I get on through this winter.. if cold I will have to get you to come up and stand in my garage to warm it up!!!

19 minutes ago, Mole said:

Ok.. I will see how I get on through this winter.. if cold I will have to get you to come up and stand in my garage to warm it up!!!

According to the wife, the way I 'create' heat is not particularly pleasant smelling ???

Mr Mole may have to forget his thermals soon. Was working in the garage lacing up motorbike wheels on Saturday evening last , so decided to ' Fire up the heater !!' We decided to make it a bit of a time V heat scale and set the heat at 18.5 deg. We could never reach the temperature that the heater would switch off before, so the experiment started. The outside temp was 6 deg at the time and about 8.5 deg inside . The temperature crept up and started to feel quite reasonable in no time at all . Within half an hour, the thermostat had turned the heater off , although the fan keeps running and the thermometer was reading 18.5 deg . Even started peeling layers off . Big result for what had been a £17 a door mod for the garage as the heater can make its target  :t-up:

Being I work in air con, I was sceptical on the thermal properties on this thin stuff from Wickes, but seems to have done the trick. 

• Like 1