Readying the Garage

Ruttager

Try these https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/anti-fatigue-foam-floor-tiles-pk6/?da=1&TC=GS-051817000&&gclid=Cj0KCQiAlIXfBRCpARIsAKvManyTiMctAlFdfQ_8hNVROKVDeFThjQ5mm6JdZ6sPnEIdNtOx3lS4_0UaAgUIEALw_wcB

You can either do the whole floor or just buy a pack to use as kneeling and lying mats to move around with you. You could also put some near your bench so when you stand at the bench your feet don't get cold.

I've done the whole floor and kept some back for working outside on the drive. 

You can also insulate the back of  your garage door to reflect heat back and put a rubber skirt at the base to stop draft and dirt. Leave the top gap for airflow and petrol fumes.......

My garage is insulated and dry lined with insulation and keeps 5 degrees above ambient with no heating. 

Cheers Jon.

Ps I didn't build my car but do enjoy working on it which is inevitable with a Westfield but my garage is a nice place to be now :d

• Like 1

I had a look at the some garage floor tiles when I bought the house and it was going to cost a silly amount to do the entire area. What may work is to tile the area that will hold the car only. This would also mark a boundary of sorts in the garage for the car. I'll look into this as I could end up making a giant skate rather than a nice bit of flooring. 

4 minutes ago, 6carjon said:

Try these https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/anti-fatigue-foam-floor-tiles-pk6/?da=1&TC=GS-051817000&&gclid=Cj0KCQiAlIXfBRCpARIsAKvManyTiMctAlFdfQ_8hNVROKVDeFThjQ5mm6JdZ6sPnEIdNtOx3lS4_0UaAgUIEALw_wcB

You can either do the whole floor or just buy a pack to use as kneeling and lying mats to move around with you. You could also put some near your bench so when you stand at the bench your feet don't get cold.

I've done the whole floor and kept some back for working outside on the drive. 

You can also insulate the back of  your garage door to reflect heat back and put a rubber skirt at the base to stop draft and dirt. Leave the top gap for airflow and petrol fumes.......

My garage is insulated and dry lined with insulation and keeps 5 degrees above ambient with no heating. 

Cheers Jon.

How grippy are these on the floor? If I laid out enough to park a car on with a suitable border to work on do you think it would hold or would it move around? 

They will move a little bit as they are very light but any weight such as a car will obviously stop that. As you drive the car in and out out they will shift slightly. You only need a small weight at one end and they will be fine. A good toolbox or a few cans of oil will work. You're going to be needing those......

Just an idea.

https://www.bigdug.co.uk/mats-flooring-c402/interlocking-floor-tiles-c1789/value-interlocking-vinyl-floor-tiles-p14434

I wonder about foam as by the time the cars been worked on and trolley jack has moved around may show scuffing and wear quite quickly. In my photo there is a foam mat, which I kneel on and would prefer a tougher plastic type floor material. Everyone has their own idea though and thoughts.

2 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Just an idea.

https://www.bigdug.co.uk/mats-flooring-c402/interlocking-floor-tiles-c1789/value-interlocking-vinyl-floor-tiles-p14434

I wonder about foam as by the time the cars been worked on and trolley jack has moved around may show scuffing and wear quite quickly. In my photo there is a foam mat, which I kneel on and would prefer a tougher plastic type floor material. Everyone has their own idea though and thoughts.

Not seen those.  They  might do.

My foam tiles are not scuffed from trolley jacks or general garage use. They do slightly mark with the tyre imprints of the car over several years. They are affected by heat from the exhaust and bow slightly under the car which in one location has left a melt mark but nothing serious.

Overall their benefits work for me and would use again as their warmth outweighs their faults. Their only issue is if you do the whole floor as I did with no gaps they warm up in the summer and expand creating a raised section. I should have left a bigger gap.....

18 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Just an idea.

These are what I was looking at before. Would cost about 500 to do the entire garage. Which at first felt a lot but on reflection isn't quite so bad. Don't really need to do the entire garage floor but doing it partially feels a wasted opportunity. I quite fancy the idea of mixing up the colours a bit. 

1 hour ago, 6carjon said:

Not seen those.  They  might do.

My foam tiles are not scuffed from trolley jacks or general garage use. They do slightly mark with the tyre imprints of the car over several years. They are affected by heat from the exhaust and bow slightly under the car which in one location has left a melt mark but nothing serious.

Overall their benefits work for me and would use again as their warmth outweighs their faults. Their only issue is if you do the whole floor as I did with no gaps they warm up in the summer and expand creating a raised section. I should have left a bigger gap.....

We use our garage more than the front door, which usually stays locked. We use it to go out with the dogs, walking in and out, motorbikes, mountain bikes and everything. So, the traffic for ours is something which has made me think about where to go next with the new floor. My 'only' thought is that plastic style tiles scratch and can look tired after a while, so will probably go grey as they will show less than black. Also black, you cant see oil as well.

13 hours ago, Ruttager said:

Got a link? I've seen some but as the lift itself is directly under the vehicle I wondered how good they actually were for the money. 

I don't I'm afraid, although I can ask the chap which lift it is if you're interested. It's a scissor style hydraulic type, with an external power pack that doubles as the front wheels to move it about. Two long beams lengthwise with four short adjustable arms to pick up under the car being lifted. Seems to give pretty good access underneath despite not being a two post type.

Then again, I've managed well enough without anything of the sort for a long time. As I said, you'd need the budget, space and inclination to want one.

I sealed my floor with PVA then bought a load of Carpet floor tiles (they came off eBay from a company who refurbished offices) my garage is about 4m x 10m and I paid about £50.

Also added a pack of the 3' x 3' foam tiles that came from Aldi.

So far this has made the perfect work area. Some people mentioned that the carpet tiles are a b***h for getting swarf off but I have an old dyson in the garage and never experienced any issues cleaning up.

AE35A616-1B3A-4DF0-8984-9AC875F2ED6B.jpeg

E84F2493-3889-4A72-B7FE-A1AA636A25E7.jpeg

I would suggest plenty of lighting and a radio and a seat to work from, I have several differant from the low wheeled to a higher draughtsman type to sit at the workbench. These are all in storage though as i dont have a garage, workbench or vice ATM so very envious . :down:

Enjoy the prep and the eventual ownership,

Don't forget a seat for a well deserved rest. I made a frame for my old Lexus rear seats after scrapping the car. I disconnected the fridge and massage units.

P1030811.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Alan France, Route66 - Shows & Events Coordinator said:

Don't forget a seat for a well deserved rest. I made a frame for my old Lexus rear seats after scrapping the car. I disconnected the fridge and massage units.

P1030811.JPG

I'd have kept the massage bit , as the wife doesnt go in the garage any more ;).....................:getmecoat:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Should have kept the beer fridge, and the massage units, Er, why not, ideal de-stressing after doing bodywork! :laugh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Should have kept the beer fridge, and the massage units, Er, why not, ideal de-stressing after doing bodywork! :laugh:

I also disconnected the air con and sound system controls, seat recliners, electric rear headrests and electric rear sun screen as well. Also had to remove the controls that unreclined the rear seats when the door was opened. Kept the cup holders and two of the rear door speakers made it into the Westfield. Seats really comfy and I really enjoyed breaking down the car and selling the bits, only the shell and these seats were left.