What hope for Brexit negotiations?

DonPeffers

Two good letters in a newspaper yesterday.

SIR – Alexa, is this a good deal?

SIR – The next Brexit Secretary should be someone with a background in quantum physics. Such a person would have the skills to deliver the necessary Irish border which is both there and not there at the same time.

Nothing to add.

• Like 1

For most people I fear that they are all still fixated on how they voted before and are unwilling to look at anything that is against their view as they still are convinced by the lies from both sides.

Now we are where we are a situation we should never have been in and in this age of social media and the young having a very short attention span so are going with the flow rather than finding out the facts as best they can.

Labour would object to whatever May has even if it was perfect and came with a gold pig for everyone free, as they sniff a chance to get comrade Corbyn in power. 

Some Tories see it as an opportunity to oust her and have their choice or themselves to be PM. 

Sturgeon does not give two hoots what happens so long as she gets independence, a result of the bitterness that has evolved she has said they will vote against it anyway. Who would be brave or stupid enough to want to be leader to sort this lot out?

I keep being told that the older person should have less say in this as we will die and the young people will have to deal with what we decide. Just the same as many of us had to when others voted to join the EEC (NOT EU) all those years ago, no one said it was not fair then, we as a country got on with it and made the best we could.

It saddens me that many of the young I speak with spent more time on choosing their phone than finding out what was at stake for their future before voting.

As a result of this those with axes to grind have divided the country, like never before. Divided by the vote, divided by age, divided by wealth, divided by areas of the UK and the worst division between NI and Eire potentially being made worse than ever by the EU manipulating this to their own ends and the DUP who appear to be people from the dark ages who only ever appear to say no, unless there is £10 billion offered.

It is not a perfect deal and was never going to be so, but eventually I feel that once we have actually left, then the grown ups will take a pragmatic approach and make it work for both the EU and the UK. We will still be shackled for some time but every journey starts with a single step, or in this case a leap but it has to start.

And just imagine if we ended up with another vote? What will happen if the vote went to stay this time, would others be expected to just accept it even if it was close again? 

• Like 6

What's doin! My head in in all this is the politicians Cameron was too scared to make a decision, so he asked us to make up his mind for him, when we didn't vote for what he wanted he ran away :bangshead: what a tw@t.

These politicians are so called clever people with our and the country's interests at heart, but so many of them are showing their true mettle, when they don't like what's happening they run run away, if they do that they shouldn't be allowed to stand again, end of.

We need people in charge who are prepared to see the job through, no matter what.

Europe needs us more than we need them and they know it, that's why they are S*** scared of us going, but they are playing a very good game of bluff. WE NEED TO CALL THAT BLUFF!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Alan France, Route66 - Shows & Events Coordinator said:

Two good letters in a newspaper yesterday.

SIR – Alexa, is this a good deal?

SIR – The next Brexit Secretary should be someone with a background in quantum physics. Such a person would have the skills to deliver the necessary Irish border which is both there and not there at the same time.

Nothing to add.

The above is brilliant Alan--quantum physics to solve the Irish border/EU backstop.

Jeff is correct it was the EEC as a trading block before it became the EU political motivated movement with less and less rights for individual countries and parliaments.

On Sky TV the other day there was a Dutch sounding gentleman (I missed the start of the program and his name/position) and he said the EU should have been set up like the USA with no right for a state to leave. He said it was a historical mistake that needs correction urgently.--------(Note to self.).

If the pro leave ERG's lawyers analysis is correct then UK could be stuck in a transition until Dec. 2020 (or 20xx if extension agreed) with no voting rights, still contributing and taking many laws/rules from EU and without the ability to unilaterally decide to leave as that is determined by a five person panel of 2 UK, 2 EU and 1 Independent (as yet no definition of how the independent arbiter would be chosen) and the ECJ would rule on matters affecting the EU which includes UK while in transition period.

The 584 page EU Withdrawal Agreement has been condensed to 7 pages by the ERG lawyers in   http://2mbg6fgb1kl380gtk22pbxgw-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/ERGYourRightToKnow.pdf

I am not a rabid leaver but do expect the EU Referendum result to be respected.

If the people later chose democratically that they want to go back in after a second referendum then so be it and I won't object.

If Brexit is stopped (or nullified by transition wordings) or if Article 50 was withdrawn then ask yourself what credibility would Britain have in the eyes of the EU and the rest of the World?

Likely the Country would be a worldwide laughing stock. Maybe we could lose the title Great Britain and become Little Britain or something more demeaning.

Just for one minute do a thought experiment.---------------------In an alternative reality, the UK (EU's 2nd biggest contributor) is delighted with membership and never thinks of leaving. However Germany (EU's biggest contributor) wants out and has activated Article 50. Would Germany and Mrs Merkel be pushed around and dictated to by the EU over withdrawal, billions of euros to pay, take ongoing rules and only after payment of billions would any talk of trade commence?

With 197 Countries in the World and 27 in the EU should we be afraid to trade with the 27 EU as we do with the other 170?

In 1973 we joined EEC, and abandoned a lot of trade with the Commonwealth (much to their annoyance--especially Aus. and NZ). I cannot recall talk of us crashing out of the Commonwealth and no food available.

Have we negotiated as hard as we should have? Some senior MPs are now saying the withdrawal has been handled by Mrs May and some senior (pro remain ) Civil Servants.

25 Jul 2018  https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/993720/brexit-news-olly-robbins-dominic-raab-theresa-may

Theresa May stripped the Brexit department of responsibility to negotiate with the European Union and handed total control of the process to her Remainer civil servant Olly Robbins. The decision, sneaked out in a written statement late on the last day before MPs went on holiday, officially means that Mrs May is not in charge of negotiations while new Brexit secretary Dominic Raab is her deputy but no longer has authority to make decisions.

HERE'S HOPING IT ALL ENDS WELL.

• 4 weeks later...

Listen carefully to what the Greek ex Finance Minister has to say about "negotiating" with the EU along with the revelation at what the EU did to their cash machines. 4.12 onwards...

• Like 1

Getting tired of almost every none work discussion with my European colleagues being about Brexit...

They all think we are nuts by the way.

"Crashing out..."

My pet peeve. If we leave with no deal that's not "crashing out", it's pretty much what we want which is NO control of our borders, economy, laws or trade choices coming from the un-elected, corrupt money grabbing mandarins of the EU.

Besides, "crashing out" means going to sleep. It's high time project fear went to bed to sleep it off...

• Like 1

Easy to say if your someone or a company not depending on free trade with Europe or your job isnt controlled and regulated by a European wide regulatory body which we are about to fall out of. My work license is about to become as worthless as the a4 sheet of paper it's typed on. 

This country wants to control and govern itself. Yet sadly a vast number of the people elected to do so are not capable of running a p*** up in a brewery. 

• Like 2