EBC brake pads

AndrewBClarke

I said once, that I normally discard track focused cars that are listed with EBC as that means they have not been driven properly... You won't stop a car with EBC, and therefore isn't a reliable or a well proven track car...

Apparently I was stupid with this mindset, but I've not seen anyone standing up for them...

As said before, they are good for going to the supermarket and back.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, maurici said:

As said before, they are good for going to the supermarket and back.

But not for stopping once you get there.

• Haha 5

29 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

So if say someone wanted to order some mintex1144 which would you order 

Depends on what brakes you have !

32 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Depends on what brakes you have !

Thanks for that 

hi spec ones 

2 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Thanks for that 

hi spec ones 

If they are 4 pots, then the pads are a modified Lotus Elise pad . For the rears, leave as standard.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, maurici said:

Apparently I was stupid with this mindset, but I've not seen anyone standing up for them

I think you'll find if you read back a. Nobody called you stupid. And b. The point everyone was disagreeing with you was you said you'd completely avoid buying a car with ebc brakes.

Think everyone is in agreement they are crap brakes!

35 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

I think you'll find if you read back a. Nobody called you stupid. And b. The point everyone was disagreeing with you was you said you'd completely avoid buying a car with ebc brakes.

Think everyone is in agreement they are crap brakes!

I was half joking... but now that you're going deeper in the topic;

The point (i don't care if someone agrees or not) is that I stop reading an advertisement of a car that is sold as fully developed to be the best it can be, track proven and so one... and then in the listing you find EBC (in that special point we was talking about an allegedly f***ing amazing car, fairly powerful and fast that was really respected by everyone and was well proven... and I said, it can't be that fast, or can't be that proven with this pads, be aware that something doesn't adds up) . Therefore, the car may or may not be well developed, but for sure will not be track proven, as you will be unable to actually do something decent with this brakes on track for more than one lap.

This fact was considered stupid that implies the one who thinks like this have an stupid mindset. I won't deny I felt offended back then, because I was honestly trying to give good advice. Not about the EBC themselves, more about that "check it all as something doesn't adds up..."

now I just laugh about it.

(I don't even remember who said what back there, and I will not retrieve the topic, as I remember the content, so nothing personal against anyone)

• Like 1

While I get what you're saying, and agree on the EBC competition pads. It's not great advice to completely ignore a car just because of that, I think that's all that was being got at.

Many people buy the cars ready developed, someone may be missing out on a really good car, that had changed owners and then had the EBC pads fitted. 

Its the nature of kit cars that generalising based on one small detail, can see you come unstuck. Of course it works the other way round too. The car can have all the right spec and just not be "right".

But I don't think it was anyone's intent to actually imply you were stupid. For you it's a decision making process that works, and that's great. And as long as Adam never cheekily fits a set of EBC pads to one of his cars when he sells them, you'll be fine!! ;) :p :laugh: :laugh:

(sorry, could resist pulling your leg! I'll get my coat :getmecoat: )

My advice never was IGNORE THE CAR... (that is what i would do)... my advice was "check everything because something doesn't adds up..." And to be honest, this was the best advice that was given to that tread, and is the bit here and there you keep forgetting...

Everyone got stuck to the point that I do discard a listing with EBC it if I'm looking for something fully developed, witch is not always the case (believe it or not... I buy other cars outside the westfield world, and I've rebuilt from scratch a kit car by myself... not my choice anymore).

I never said back there, nor now... "don't buy it, has EBC"  I threw and opinion there saying "check everything well as have parts that shouldn't be there if is as good as everyone says". I really think I did a huge spanglish effort to explain that, but no-one saw it, and you keep ignoring it.

And is not an small detail. You can't go fast, if you cant brake, therefore, you cant corner fast so who knows how the setup is, and therfore you can't push the engine to the limits, so you don't know if its reliable or if the oil and the coolant will be pipping hot after half a lap, therefore you know nothing about the car because what the listing says isn't true. That is my decision making process if I'm looking for something fully developed.

10 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

But I don't think it was anyone's intent to actually imply you were stupid. For you it's a decision making process that works, and that's great. And as long as Adam never cheekily fits a set of EBC pads to one of his cars when he sells them, you'll be fine!! ;) :p :laugh: :laugh:

(sorry, could resist pulling your leg! I'll get my coat :getmecoat: )

Adam appreciates his life and my friendship... so he won't do that.

• Like 1

:d :yes:

Sounds like one of those occasions when everyone actually agrees but doesn't realise it!

(And given that my Spanish never made it past hello, goodbye, please and thank you, I'm certainly not qualified to pass any language judgments! English gives me enough trouble at times.)

The mintex 1144 are superb and i’ll Probably fit them on my road cars from now on, saying that ebc green stuff have been good on some of my previous cars! Gti’s and what not 

My son's Z4M Coupé OEM brakes were not up to track use so he tried a variety of other pads. Bluestuff were ok with added cooling ducts.

3ed9uH2.jpg

The picture (not Bluestuff) shows detached (and lost) friction material that happened on a normal road at slow speed - but after a track day the previous week. You can see from the other pad that they were not badly worn but show some heat damage. The disc had to be re-skimmed.

He now has an AP Racing big brake kit fitted. It now stops like it has hit a rock face!

Great post MOTCO, proof of what we all know. I can't believe they're still being sold, worst still, that EBC still promote them as performance pads! :angry:

And @maurici - lots of us completely agree with you, just can't be bothered with forum nonsense so stay out of it. I'm 100% with you - if a car is described as "race proven" or "track developed" but has a component we all know to be inappropriate to that use, you have to approach it with a great sense of caution. Whether the pads were fitted recently or not is irrelevant, the person who fitted them is the one describing the car, therefore their judgment needs to be taken with a huge great big pinch of salt and if other comparable options are available, it may be preferential to look elsewhere. Not necessarily walk away, just be very, very wary.

My advice with this forum (and any forum) is to offer your opinion if you choose to do so, but leave it there - don't bother to respond to other people's opinion of your opinion, even if it winds you up. Let the reader decide.

Big hug :t-up: