EBC brake pads

AndrewBClarke

Has anyone tried out EBC brake pads?  At their stand at Autosport last year they recommended that I should instal ‘yellowstuff’ pads for better braking capacity. Appreciate your thoughts!

NO NO NO NO NO NO

Avoid them

Mintex 1144 were really good in my Westy, I also have them up front in my Mini Cooper S track car now

• Like 3

IMHO they are rubbish

Use Mintex 1144 and you will be impressed 

• Like 2

Utter garbage. They should be banned. Walk away.

Used yellow stuff in our racing mini and it was like braking on butter. Standard pads were 200% better - and they're crap.

I bought EBC gold rotors and yellow pads, the rotors cracked and warped with in a month and the pads lasted even less time. COMPLETE RUBBISH  STAY WELL AWAY 

• Like 1

As above! I use mintex 1144’s after having ebc on my road car and Westfield briefly what a difference with the mintex .... you have to see it to believe it but do it !! Go with the 1144’s

• Like 1

On 26/10/2018 at 21:06, BCF said:

Utter garbage. They should be banned. Walk away.

Used yellow stuff in our racing mini and it was like braking on butter. Standard pads were 200% better - and they're crap.

can I ask, what brand are the supplied pads from Westfield? Should I change them now during build for alternatives?

37 minutes ago, Dean Goodall said:

can I ask, what brand are the supplied pads from Westfield? Should I change them now during build for alternatives?

They are EBC road pads. Nothing fancy or good . Took mine out and binned them for 1144's. The joy of 1144's is that there is a weight saving device with them, as you dont need a horn , as you can be heard from the next county when the pads are warm. When hot, they are fine :d

• Haha 1

That’s a real shame, I like to buy British.     I’ve used (6 years ago) on a different car Reliant scimitar with bmw2.5 td engine)  found them significantly better than normal road car pads.  I also had their  pads on a daily tin top road car and also fine (vectra 2.0d).   I have yellow stuff in my rear Sierra disks and mintex 1144 in the front.   I’d be surprised if EBG are total garbage on a normal road car.   Mind you they only replaced The with vintage unipart camel pooh ones before...

Yeah, qualifying the thread slightly, I’ve also got standard road type EBC pads in the tin top, and while they shed a bit more brake dust than the previous pads, they’re abosolutely fine, possibly slightly better than the one Ford pads. Though it is a two tonne+ pickup, rather than something “sporting”!

Feedback on their competition/sports pads on the other hand always seems to be extremely Marmitey, but with a split heavily against.

Mintex 1144’s work superbly well in road/occasional track use Westfields, BUT, they can get noisy!

1144's :yes: & no squeal for me.... on my 2nd set. Just slight squeal shortly after fitting, which was easily squashed with some enthusiastic driving :devil:

6 hours ago, DamperMan said:

That’s a real shame, I like to buy British.     I’ve used (6 years ago) on a different car Reliant scimitar with bmw2.5 td engine)  found them significantly better than normal road car pads.  I also had their  pads on a daily tin top road car and also fine (vectra 2.0d).   I have yellow stuff in my rear Sierra disks and mintex 1144 in the front.   I’d be surprised if EBG are total garbage on a normal road car.   Mind you they only replaced The with vintage unipart camel pooh ones before...

I'm also using EBC Yellows in the rear and 1144's up front. I tried yellows all round and they lacked the bite I was looking for and required too much pedal effort. I then tried 1144's all round and I had way too much rear lock up even with the bias adjusted to the extreme. On a whim I tried the 1144's in front and the Yellows in the rear and they are ideal for my use. Very good cold bite, zero fade and the balance was easy to adjust so for even braking front and rear. The bias is adjusted to give a bit of front lock up just before any lock in the rear.

The set up seems ideal for my mixed street and competition use.

dave

Hi Guys,

As many of you know I work in the friction industry (The Avatar is Sort of a Clue) :p

I am currently speaking to Mintex with a view of getting one of their distributors to come on board with us as a supplier member.It would not be possible to deal direct with Mintex, as they have a distributor network  "BUT"................................... The company concerned are motor sport orientated, so watch this space as they say :dg-westy::t-up: if It is felt they will give us support, help and advice as well as competitive prices then I will get them to  contact our club sec.

• Like 3