3 Peaks, with a twist!

AdamR

When you get to the top of Ben Nevis, make sure you get to the very top....lol91962177_bennevis1.thumb.jpg.957a666b7a2afaca4508e1eff8004e57.jpg

And that was in June 212966319_bennevis2.thumb.jpg.5bc4cc5c8368019bf12d2ae6e26892d3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6th June 2011, don't forget Adam to factor in some time for a snowball fight on the way up Ben Nevis :d

Julie 40 111.JPG

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO said:

6th June 2011, don't forget Adam to factor in some time for a snowball fight on the way up Ben Nevis :d

Julie 40 111.JPG

And with good visibility for the Ben!

• 2 months later...

What a fitting previous post :laugh: Did a practice Scafell on Monday and visibility above 400m or so was worse than in the photo above! We took a route from Seathwaite rather than the shortest jaunt from Wasdale in order to turn it into a loop with Great End. I was 'learning on the job' and it was therefore also a bit 'in at the deep end' for my navigation skills, but having an experienced Munro-bagger and an army major making up the rest of the group meant I had backup if needed. Everything went to plan, though I found the whole thing significantly more mentally tiring than physically, despite the various boulder fields being treacherously slippery and ~60mph winds!

I've been informed by my girlfriend that I'll be disowned if I can't navigate up Nevis and Snowdon :blush: so no practice runs planned for there. I have decided to do Nevis first though, since I can then pick a weather window and do the majority of the driving in (hopefully) dry(ish) weather, rather than being tempted to head up there on Day 3 no matter what the conditions and spend 10 hours p*** wet through :laugh:

Car is probably just over half built now, most of the time-consuming custom fabrication is done, but it's time to start assembling now and that means my pet hate - wiring / anything electronic. Have a month away soon so that will put paid to progress, but still hoping to have the car done for April-ish.

• Like 6

IMO definitely best to do the highest, coldest and most unpredictable weather-wise (Nevis) first when your are fresh and dry.

Good luck with everything and happy 2019.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I noticed  https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Ben-Nevis/forecasts/1344

This table gives the weather forecast for Ben Nevis at the specific elevation of 1344 m. ie the top.

"Our advanced weather models allow us to provide distinct weather forecasts for several elevations of Ben Nevis." 

Currently showing 5 day forecast 14 to 19 March 2019 but could be checked when you are thinking of doing the trip.

Chart shows max. temp/ min./ chill/freezing altitude/snow levels.

Good luck with the car and the trip; but the trip isn't mandatory.

Thanks Don, that's the site I usually use, mostly very accurate :t-up:

Car is probably at least a month away, but I have done a fair bit of mountain stuff, running and triathlon training recently, so at least that part is getting there :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...

Things seems to be coming together quite nicely, if a little slower than planned on the car front. It is running though, and have dyno on Tuesday:

Hoping no more than a month to get it road legal now :t-up:

Also been up to Scotland this week and completed 4 consecutive days of Munro-bagging, each of them 'bigger' and considerably more technical than Ben Nevis. Day 3 was a killer, equivalent in distance and elevation change to doing the easiest route up (and down) Snowdon 3 times!

Conditions up there are kind though, with little snow even over 1000m, so it looks like I've picked a good year!

IMAG1170.thumb.jpg.6985169f2ec614642128b07b36ddbc75.jpg

• Like 7

From a safety point of view are you doing this trip alone or with a mate?

Plan for a snooze somewhere because you're doing a lot of climbing and driving so can't afford to lose concentration!

A few weeks back the report was plenty of snow atop Ben Nevis and avalanche risk high.

Of course you don't have to go through with it and could just decide to enjoy your car.

Good luck.

Edited 10 Jun 2019-- I just re-read your OP and noticed the plan says 3 peaks in 3 days so now I understand and my post above about rest is unnecessary.

Recent tragedy on the mountains  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48571286  A woman killed by a lightning strike while hillwalking died as a result of a "freak accident".

Good luck with whatever you decide.