3 Peaks, with a twist!

AdamR

So, I've come up with an idea. I'm going to do the 3 peaks next spring (April most likely), in 3 days, using a Westfield that isn't even built yet as my transport :laugh:https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/130867-the-lobster-88-se-rebuild

I know the 'proper' challenge is doing all 3 in 24 hours, but those people aren't doing the driving themselves in a home-built car, this is designed to combine two of my passions into one :love:

3peaks.png.c5f3a2d7811da1972bdfb9a7d8b631d5.png

Given my location, it makes sense to do Snowdon first, then Scafell, then finally Ben Nevis. Will probably use the easy tracks up each, depending on how I'm feeling and what the weather is like. For driving, I'll aim to skip as many motorway miles as possible but Chester to Kendal is kinda slow without using the M56 / M6. Accommodation... Will probably stay at my place after Snowdon, then between Scafell and Fort William either grab a B&B / hostel or camp / bivvy if the forecast is solid.

This is designed as a 'selfish' trip and something to give me a focus for the coming months, but if anyone is interested in joining me for any of it (the driving or the hiking!) then let me know and I'll put up an approximate schedule when I've calculated it. I'll be going at my own pace throughout though, and not either waiting for or rushing to keep with others :t-up:

Any tips / suggestions also welcome, of course!

• Like 4

Great idea. Good luck!

• Like 1

Well done! Are you planning to look for charity sponsorship? Happy to offer some help if so.

• Like 1

And there was me wondering how you were going to get the Westfield up those mountains!

• Haha 1

Sounds like a fantastic jaunt.

Do bear in mind that it can snow on any day of the year at the top of Ben Nevis. Very likely there will still be snow near the top in April as it's very early in the season.

Possibly scour the internet for ideas/suggestions from others who've done the 3 peaks.

Good luck.

Thanks all!

Don, I did the Corryhully horseshoe (with a bit extra) this March so have an idea what it can be like up there, appreciate Nevis is a heck of a lot taller though :t-up: I guess playing it a bit by ear and perhaps moving to May would be prudent, depending on our winter...

Wow, looks great, good luck with it.  If there was a way or driving to the top of the peaks, rather than hiking, I'd probably join you :)

4 hours ago, AdamR said:

Thanks all!

Don, I did the Corryhully horseshoe (with a bit extra) this March so have an idea what it can be like up there, appreciate Nevis is a heck of a lot taller though :t-up: I guess playing it a bit by ear and perhaps moving to May would be prudent, depending on our winter...

Definitely listen to prudence if she calls - she may save your life! These can be serious environments, which I know you're aware of. Although these sorts of Nature's challenges are the most rewarding.

Have done a lot of walking in Scotland in the early months. In May generally weather is much kinder and sunnier, although I have still ended up being out in full on blizzard Winter conditions. Which is fine if correctly equipped and competent navigating in near zero visibility.

• Like 2

In 1911 a Ford Model T was driven to the top of Ben Nevis!!! and in 2011 we walked up there to mark my 40th birthday, which was in June and the top was still covered in snow. The week before a well equipped french man died of hypothermia on Ben Nevis, it was really, really cold. It was still a fantastic thing to do and your idea is brilliant, I will look forward to following it on here - from my warm, comfy armchair:d

I stay near Fort William and in 2011 a team of people took a disemballed Ford model T up the mountain and  assemballed it at the top. 

There an iron model T on the high street to comemorate it.

There used to be an observatory and even a hotel at the top and you can still poke about the ruins.

The path is good until the last third and then if the cloud comes down it can be very disorienting which is fairly often but on a clear day the views are great.

It is always cold though as there is always wind. That said there is always enough people around unless the weather is bad and that should be your que not be up there either!

I have done it, albeit a couple of decades ago, and if I'm honest we took too many risks , on Ben Nevis in a whiteout (in May!) suddenly realising you are two meters from a big drop! Only really finding the summit due to a fortunate but short lived clearing in the weather.  Be prepared to turn back and/or wait for the weather. 

Forget about doing it at your own pace, you want 3 ideally that want to stick together, top of Ben Nevis in April, and sometimes Snowdon too, not places I'd recommend you go on your own (maybe Alfascozzesi will do Ben Nevis with you as a guide!)    Easy routes or not, map reading skills and some practise runs essential, you can get very lost on any of the three. 

Jim

• Like 1

Hmm... I could be very tempted to join you on this! Although my car is nowhere near built either so that could be a bit of a deciding factor, haha! I've done the three peaks a few times now (the 24 hour one, not driving myself), although in the opposite order.  Ben Nevis is by a fair way the most challenging of the three so it might be worth considering doing it first. It's much better for motivation knowing that the hardest part is done as you get more tired! 

Andrew is right. I did the three peaks in July a couple of years ago and even then, in shorts it was pretty cold at the top with snow on Ben Nevis for the last half an hour walk and quite slippery in places.

Scafell and Snowdon were dead easy in comparison.Ben Nevis is not steeper, just a long arduous climb and so many people on narrow routes its like a motorway so hard to always overtake them without putting anyone at risk.

You obviously need proper navigation but its really not hard to work it out, given your cycling antics I reckon you will have the lungs but dont underestimate the slightly different muscles used.

As you are doing one mountain not three, it will be much easier on stamina and sleep although we did it in a Transit bus not an open bike engined Westie, that will be an experience in itself with tired legs full of lactic acid not able to get comfortable.

You will miss out on the joys of walking at night .If you can and you know Snowdon I would try and do one at night for the different experience. Its a safe walk up the llanberis pass and a great night time experience of the stillness and occasional solitude interrupted by little head torches of other walkers looking like miners lamps :d

If you do Snowdon at night the parking is much easier as you can drive the first really steep road bit and park at the farm building before the proper path begins.

Whatever way you do it , it will be a novel experience in the Westie for sure.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO said:

In 1911 a Ford Model T was driven to the top of Ben Nevis!!! and in 2011 we walked up there to mark my 40th birthday, which was in June and the top was still covered in snow. The week before a well equipped french man died of hypothermia on Ben Nevis, it was really, really cold. It was still a fantastic thing to do and your idea is brilliant, I will look forward to following it on here - from my warm, comfy armchair:d

Nice story , but no one  here would believe you'd had your 40th :t-up:

Good luck with the trip Adam , don't forget to pack plenty of Kendal Mint Cake,  it could be a life saver :)

• Like 1