1C tyres for Road Going in 2019

graham frankland

15 minutes ago, maurici said:

Only half correct.

IMHO I was more than "half correct":d.

The main point I was making is that these "allowed 1B ZZR's" are able to used by all cars, not just Caterhams.

As you say are not that good and there are better 1B tyres for hillclimb and sprints.

38 minutes ago, Paul Morcom said:

IMHO I was more than "half correct":d.

The main point I was making is that these "allowed 1B ZZR's" are able to used by all cars, not just Caterhams.

As you say are not that good and there are better 1B tyres for hillclimb and sprints.

three quarters then... :P

On behalf of the SSOT Nick Algar ( as championship Coordinator) is talking to the MSA about the rules for 2019 and if there will be changes to tyres such as Avon ZZR in Road Going classes. Until we get a definitive answer its all rumour and speculation. As soon a s we get clarification it will be posted here

• 1 month later...

Received my 2019 licence today, no blue book, it’s now all on line..

so browsing through, and specifically looking at the tyre lists, they have in list 1b in red text “ZZR (8018 & 8019)” as well as the previously stated ZZR (15156 & 15157)...

so what are ZZR 8018 & 8019 ?

E261C416-49FF-4236-A92D-F56B59FE3A68.png

We need to check the ZZR ( 8018 and 8019) that seems to have appeared in the 1B tyre list. I will do that asap to see what the tyre specification is including available sizes and compounds

I have now spoken to BMTR about the Avon ZZR 8018 and 8019 tyres. They have not seen any of these tyres yet but they appear to be another tyre developed for the Caterham Race Series. They are not soft compound and are a road going tyre in sizes 185x55x13 and 215x55x13. These can be used by anyone  and not just Caterhams as OE. The soft ZZR tyre that most of the SS drivers use will still be available as a list 1C tyre.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, windy said:

Forget about zzrs you need to be looking at those pirellis in the list:devil:

According to someone I know who has tried them I would say not. They are too soft and wore out in 3 laps of Blyton with less than average grip

8 hours ago, John said:

According to someone I know who has tried them I would say not. They are too soft and wore out in 3 laps of Blyton with less than average grip

As good as Dunlop cr311 in super soft based on my experience. Yes they do wear out quickly but they are very grippy. 888s and kumho v70s don’t even come close. Who’s tried them on a Westy?

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 21:21, windy said:

As good as Dunlop cr311 in super soft based on my experience. Yes they do wear out quickly but they are very grippy. 888s and kumho v70s don’t even come close. Who’s tried them on a Westy?

Not a Westy but a Raw Fulcrum by someone who knows what they are doing