2019 Gurston Down

Terry Everall

4 hours ago, terry everall said:

That would be unfair to the people who have to work on that day, are on holiday or have other commitments. 

Agree completely Terry.:yes:

Gurston is a regular on my calendar but due to a mess up on my behalf I did not get an entry this year ( long story!)

An excellent venue, well run and great spectating. 

Keith

4 hours ago, terry everall said:

That would be unfair to the people who have to work on that day, are on holiday or have other commitments. 

That's why I suggested to give a selection \ choice. If they can't make one of three or say 2 of 5 is it really that unfair ?

it would benefit those who could do all of them!!!!!

Slight tongue in cheek but... isn't that exactly the same as those who can do more events in the speed series as a whole?

Adam  R- No because they all have target times (records) with no bonus points for just turning up!!!!!

I'd have thought David meant some sort of multiplier based upon what score you did get? To me that seems sort of sensible.

Either way there are times you can score 100 points for just turning up and driving round, do 30 events and you have 3x more chance of this happening than someone who only does 10.

Appreciate it is very tricky to come up with a structure that caters for everyone, but again it feels like a decent suggestion has been ruled out without the sort of broad (meaning all types of competitor and possible competitor) discussion that I believe it deserves.

You might be surprised how much discussion takes place between SSOT members on scoring systems, classes and number of events.

I will be there at the July event in 2019. We have it as a regular Formula Festival weekend - run now for 3 years and gets good support. Entries to the weekend were a bit low this year, we have 20 and made up for 20% of the entry. 

Gurston members and committee decide not to have the Midland Hill Climb Championship in 2018, they always were there on the July weekend so it was quieter than normal this year. Nick will be looking for ways to increase the numbers for that specific weekend, in the absence of the MHCC.

It's a great weekend, good camping spot, OK food in the clubhouse, good bar and a couple of really good local pubs.

Personally if the offer is for Sat and Sun on the July weekend I would go for that, it's a superb venue for a weekend away - definitely worth travelling to and safer than most hills, great venue to cut your hill climb teeth on - it was my first ever event in 2009.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, XTR2Turbo said:

That's why I suggested to give a selection \ choice. If they can't make one of three or say 2 of 5 is it really that unfair ?

David, 

Spookily enough I mooted the suggestion of a “joker” round a few years ago in my last stint on the SSOT but the TT system was still new back then so it poo poo’d at the time.

Now I’m back on the SSOT again I’ve taken note of your suggestion and will raise it at the next meeting.

For what it’s worth I don’t think any bonus events should be nominated by the SSOT as, like Terry suggests it could be unfair to those who can’t go to that event.

I do think there is some legs in the idea of a competitor nominating which event(s) they would wish to receive a bonus score at prior say in the week before the event takes place, so in effect you “ play your joker round” . There is an element of chance as you could have a rubbish event or go very well....... just and idea.

As Terry said the scoring system is the subject of a lot of discussion on the SSOT and a few different systems were evaluated last year. Each had its good points but also bad ones too so in the end the existing TT system has been kept.

The very close margin in points between the top drivers this year shows that the TT system may well just be working....... at last.

• Like 1

Gurston camping field can be very damp early in the year so from my stand point (not having the luxury of a mhome) I would go for the 2 day event in July!

G

I have managed to secure the weekend of 20th and 21st July 2019 so lets see if the attendance improves and that those who have said they are interested will enter:yes:

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, terry everall said:

I have managed to secure the weekend of 20th and 21st July 2019 so lets see if the attendance improves and that those who have said they are interested will enter:yes:

Well done Terry. I hope those who expressed their interest above appreciate your efforts and make the event

Well done Terry.

I don't think some folk realise how difficult it can be to secure invites to events at some venues............especially the popular hills.

So finger crossed we get a good attendance next year.

well done Terry. If I manage to be out at all next year I will be entering.