2019 Gurston Down

Terry Everall

next year we are debating whatnot do about Gurston Down

Last year only Howard Gaskin and Barney Francis attended the one day event.

I have spoken to the organisers and they can offer Sat 20th April 2019 or Sunday 21st Sept 2019. They might consider 20th and 21st July 2019 if there was enough interest 

Who would attend and when?

Gurston is a great and challenging hillclimb.

It is well run and has decent facilities.

It is an event that would be on my list of events that I would like to compete at if doing a whole season.

Please think about Wiscombe as well

Gurston worked well when combined with Wiscombe on the same W/E

But I think Gurston entries have dropped off because Wiscombe has been dropped making the trip less appealing.

But having said above,Wiscombes paddock is still soft from the winter rain in April and turns into a quagmire after a little rain and is horrible for Westys.

Wiscombe was VERY well supported when it was held in Sept and I think would be again. Please try and get a summer date

So my vote would be for July for Gurston , but does it clash with any other popular events then

Thanks

Stu

24 minutes ago, woodman said:

Gurston is a great and challenging hillclimb.

It is well run and has decent facilities.

It is an event that would be on my list of events that I would like to compete at if doing a whole season.

Please think about Wiscombe as well

Gurston worked well when combined with Wiscombe on the same W/E

But I think Gurston entries have dropped off because Wiscombe has been dropped making the trip less appealing.

But having said above,Wiscombes paddock is still soft from the winter rain in April and turns into a quagmire after a little rain and is horrible for Westys.

Wiscombe was VERY well supported when it was held in Sept and I think would be again. Please try and get a summer date

So my vote would be for July for Gurston , but does it clash with any other popular events then

Thanks

Stu

Stu 

One thing at a time. 

It is recognised that some of the hills are popular, and it’s more difficult to arrange invites from the organising clubs particularly the popular venues like Gurston, and even more difficult to avoid clashes in the calendar, which I think happened this year.

Nothing is set in stone but clearly if we can secure invites for a Saturday AND Sunday that has to make it more appealing to competitors who can make a weekend of it. 

That said we have to ensure that there will be enough support for the event or we won’t be invited back. 

So my vote would also be for the July double header. 

Mark.

The reason I included Wiscombe in my answer to the question on Gurston is that I feel that it was linked to the demise in entries to Gurston.

We will be there for the April event. This is a two day event, any reason they haven't offered the Sunday too? It's usually quieter than the Saturday...

There are Bikes there on the April Sunday and it also gets overbooked so we won't get an invite

I am already in contact with the comp sec ( Nick Revels) thanks

I don't know what I will be doing next year unfortunately but I have spectated at Gurston but never driven it.

If I am out next year Gurston would be a definite for me and as said above I much prefer weekend events.

Just an idea, if there are events that need numbers could there be an incentive of a bonus score?  I know this was once considered and dismissed in case someone could not make it but say you picked just three events a year and as an entrant you could get a bonus point for attending any two of them.  You would then be free to give an event support as you felt was needed.  Maybe any new venue would automatically get it …..

David

That would be unfair to the people who have to work on that day, are on holiday or have other commitments. 

1 hour ago, terry everall said:

I am already in contact with the comp sec ( Nick Revels) thanks

Ok. In your message above you said "we won't get an invite" - just to check, have you asked? 

Yes we have been discussing options 

Cool. Would be awesome if we could get an invite to both days in April. It's been brilliant the last couple of years. The track isn't green like others as they have a whole volunteer team who go down to clear it before hand (of which my dad is one). If there's anything I can do to help influence just let me know.