Your Daily motor- photos :)

Skypeller

5 minutes ago, Skypeller said:

@DamperMan nice touring! They all look good the tourings. And yes the 2.0d is fairly pokey! 

It had to be a touring,  they look better but having had FWD hatchbacks for years the shallow saloon boot looked way to small for a family car.    BMW are going fwd on the next generation 1 series.   I believe it’s on the mini platform.  Purists will hate it.   Practical folk will appreciate the extra space it brings. 

3 minutes ago, DamperMan said:

It had to be a touring,  they look better but having had FWD hatchbacks for years the shallow saloon boot looked way to small for a family car.    BMW are going fwd on the next generation 1 series.   I believe it’s on the mini platform.  Purists will hate it.   Practical folk will appreciate the extra space it brings. 

And 95% of owners probably won’t be able to feel the difference. Though plenty of those, will possibly even feel an improvement in some of their day to day driving!

I agree with both of you, the straight 6, distinctive front end & rear wheel drive was why I used to buy them originally, i’ll Be going back to a ford or VAG if I don’t go for the 135 I iMagine 

Sadly, I think I may still be “driving” when the days of being a motoring enthusiast actually including a driving element disappear.

Starting to see a lot of “futurologist” predictions starting to all show the same around about twenty year time frame for motoring as we know and understand it at the moment to be all but gone.

This isn’t necessarily suggesting there will be little  but autonomous vehicles, rather that the whole face of transport will have changed, with possibly, most likely, either electric, or a fuel cell or equivalent power source as one factor, increasing legislation and “control” via remote monitoring and integration between vehicles and traffic control infrastructure as another, and increasing use of many of the individual technologies that make up autonomous vehicles as the other big factor, plus of course, the wholly autonomous vehicles themselves.

Agreed it’s not really evident which wheels are driving most the time on my bmw...  a long stab at the traction control button does remind me but then I think about the possible damage.     The idea of driverless cars sounds futuristic..  everyone’s running about trying to develope them but has anyone done any market resource.   Will anyone actually want to buy one.   It strikes me as a very expensive taxi back from the pub.. even then you could be done for drunk incharge of a car!   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

And 95% of owners probably won’t be able to feel the difference. We will see more BMW's on the road when its snowy than in ditches because the owners driving god style got left at home that morning again. Though plenty of those, will possibly even feel an improvement in some of their day to day driving!

Modified for correctness :d

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, DamperMan said:

BMW are going fwd on the next generation 1 series.   I believe it’s on the mini platform.  Purists will hate it.   Practical folk will appreciate the extra space it brings. 

I was horrified when I heard. I love my straight 6, rear wheel drive 1 series. I’ll not buy another when they go front wheel drive. 

I entirely accept that it will be better for most people, but I’ve always felt that the rear wheel drive was the main selling point on the 1series. There are plenty of other fwd hatchbacks if you want the extra space/practicality. Looks like I’ll have to stump up for a 340i next... or just give up and get a Quattro Audi. 

@Exitus yes, like me, I just didn’t find the Audi’s all that! 

they make some lovely looking cars but the BMW’s always seemed to have the better handling (fair weather) when compared to an equal contender 

Yeah, I test drove an S4 a little while ago when I was considering getting something a little more practical. It was very fast, comfortable, looked great, but was somehow a little dead and boring compared to the BMW. Though undoubtedly it would be faster in the real world for much of the time, certainly with cold, wet roads  

@Thrustyjust has a point.. BMWs are crap in snow/ice, though winter tyres make a huge difference!

• Like 1

I am a gentleman of leisure these days so my daily is a shopping car most days.

AT3XakR.jpg

But otherwise...

Spring:

Fk0TrsN.jpg

Autumn:

MP0U3XK.jpg

• Like 1

Self employed so spend most of the time in my 2016 Transporter. 54k miles and just over half way into the lease. Really hate driving this thing.

0152fc9b4a2f4083e8fd2b154f77503d2de5bef81c.thumb.jpg.1ef8dbd0d496e11810bc07b40b3ee560.jpg

We have a 2017 Abarth 595 that the wife uses for work and nipping to the shops/gym etc. Cant remember the last time i drove it. Only brand new car we have ever bought. Pic from when we picked it up. We ended up with this as i wanted a car as i was tired of using my Van for everything. Started looking at 911's and Granturismo's. Wife got involved and we ended up with what she wanted.

01e13a4ec59e3154a1de7f91db79d9b45c123fda13.thumb.jpg.cc67522c00f7af0bb11ed652a357899b.jpg

And the family car. 2012 ML350. This was the wife's when she did mobile work as she needed lots of space for the all the crap she had to cart about with her. Wife no longer does mobile work so it does the baby duties now. Currently for sale if any one is interested. Hoping to replace it with a Maserati Gran Turismo. The last time i tried this we ended up with the Abarth above so should be interesting.

01578261e0147d664ae356199c2626ea7e0c1abca9.thumb.jpg.c6988aeecbf959e63433fa544e0382da.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skypeller said:

Nice nearly bought a 2.8 z3 in many occasions

Maurici's Z4 looks good in that colour but normally I find the Z4 Roadster's rear end looks as if it has had its bum kicked, but that one in gunmetal doesn't somehow. I love the Z4 Coupé though. My son has one that's currently bobbing about aboard a container ship in the Indian Ocean en route to Sydney.

Olliebeak's Z3 is a very unusual colour too, in fact I don't recall seeing one before. I love mine - it's a 2.2i Sport - but the six pots in the larger sizes (2.8, 3.0. 3.2M) are appreciating now. Hopefully my six pot will follow! A Z3M Coupé is very expensive these days.

My son's:

fcdGs2V.jpg

and on its way earlier this month:

zgiVS0q.jpg

• Like 1