CHALLENGE... Help me to decide my next tow car

maurici

Theres not many about Maurici and sticking with Nissans cos thats what I know,

petrol 4x4 for under £5k a Nissan x-trail 2.5 petrol will be a half decent tow car.  About 170hp and drive fairly well for what they are.

But a Murano would be the 1 for me if you could put up with auto.

Audi S4 manual quattro?

Keep thinking about selling our Jeep. Great tow car....but fails on nearly all your criteria :)  5.7 V8, petrol (and LPG) and of course, it's an auto.

I think it would be a 530i touring if it were me with your criteria, forester or Jeep, otherwise a ford ranger thunder or later focus st estate 

I personally wouldn’t bother with much Audi, maybe a a4 avant 2.0tfsi I think the 3.0 v6 was gutsy compared to our m54 bmw 3.0

the x trail isn’t a bad shout! 

On 22/10/2018 at 22:35, BCF said:

Yep. Looks incredibly reliable...

As per @AdamR recomendation of a Swapped Jinmy...

Beemers and mercs, are starting to be ahead all. However, mercs are only in auto... therefore, or I'm flexible here, or i will have a beemer yes or yes.

If I'm flexible in auto, then the Murano is A LOT of car for the money, and other than few electronic glitches, is a boom proof car...

Then... I've seen some Forresters XTE... 2.5 manual 6 speed, sunroof, loads of equipment and relatively low milleage, and I could keep my subaru to canibalize alternators, gearboxes diffs and so... but therefore then I'm being open to the turbo stuff...

If I'm open to the turbo stuff and to the autos... then I end buying something I didn't wanted from the begging and will be a mistake.

Yeah, my life is overly complicated. XD

• Haha 1

Keep an eye out for collapsing rear suspension on those foresters if you do go down that route. Apparently their self levelling system was a bit of a weak point and not the cheapest fix.  Otherwise, they're supposed to be a pretty tidy machine! 

• Like 1

The only advice I can give is...... NBF, or Never Buy French.

Honestly I struggle to think of any well built modern cars though.

4 hours ago, Lyonspride said:

Honestly I struggle to think of any well built modern cars though.

Have a read of the "Machine That Changed the World" by Womack, Jones & Roos. It's a bit out of date now but a good look at car production methods over the years. Some manufacturers have changed more than others.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Arm said:

Maurici. I've got the best tow car. You saw it today. 

definitely... I I could afford it...

I like you trailer too

My work mate has a 2.2vti lude. 

Cracking engine and interior! Heated seats ! 

Its a great car for a budget banger! 4ws system is sh*# though.... mind you it’s old and had many many owners 

For the same price he paid £1300 ish I got a 4motion (haldex) 205bhp 2.8v6 golf mk4 with full heated leather. It was a cracking winter banger and looked smart too! Same fuel ecnomy seeing as he has to vtec it to get near the likes of rep mobiles these days