Rad upgrade and coolant hoses

SXRORY

sooooo winter tinkering in full effect.

My Zetec is on the normal polo rad has actually never overheated but it is quite reliant on the fan in traffic and after track fun. it also does take a while to pull the heat out with the fan. Probably going to coolex the rad and my hoses are looking like its best I don't touch them unless i really need too, so I want to replace them.

My question is where do i start with the hoses I need, I've not a clue here, is it just a case of pulling them off and measuring them up... do they come off a certain car?, i have no heater? Any recommendations of who to use?

I'm function over form so pretty silicone would be nice but ok with just decent hose's that work

many thanks 

WHOOPS I WAS SUPPOSED TO PUT THIS IN TECH PLEASE MOVE

Polo rad can cope pretty well with a Zetec. Did Le Mans in 40 plus deg one year and the Zetec was spot on Sat in that temp for 2 hrs getting into the car park and temperature was controlled. So, I would question the original being efficient or slightly tired. Is it holding temperature when at speed ? Also on how the fan is on the rad. is it right up to the face ? How good is its operation ? Something like a Spal fan will move more air and control temperature better than a standard one. Just some thoughts.

• Like 2

I purchased hoses from Auto Silicon hoses (ASH) 

1 meter of each - 8mm, 16mm & 32mm plus a 90 degree elbow reducer 35mm to 32mm

I also purchased a Coolex Radiator, but did not have the fan mounted on it. I'd advise having it done though as I'm going to get it shipped back to them over the winter to get a fan mounted direct to the radiator.

I did have cooling problems while on track before but with the coolex and a ducted nose it's been great, the only remaining issue is that it can get very hot while moving slowly or stationary, which is why I'm going to get the fan mounted on the radiator rather than on the Westfield supplied mount which leaves a gap between the fan and radiator and therefore reduces its efficiency.   

• Like 1

+1 for Auto Silicone hoses (ASH), but you need to know what you want, especially at the trade counter, they are not the people to ask for advice, but great if you have a shopping list.

http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/

They are in Mirfield which is just down the road from me, so very convenient 

AutoSiliconeHoses.com
AP House
Holmebank Business Park
Mirfield
WF14 8NA
0844 800 5199

• Like 1

If anyone wants to speak with someone who does know what they are on about and can give advice, call George on 07830 750 950 and say I put you onto him. He runs http://www.roadtrackraceparts.com and his stock is held within the ASH building, so he's there all the time. He'll do you a good price and you'll get the same or better service than buying direct from ASH :yes:

• Like 1

IMG_20181016_083053.thumb.jpg.d72e410f2a9a3eb60d30a8c234694c57.jpg

So it sits about 1.5 CMS off 

IMG_20181016_083436.thumb.jpg.4906b42301c1e3ad78abb39c863bf77a.jpg

Could bend it a bit and have this tape but worried it could fail and get sucked in 

The nuts bolting it on mean I cant get too much closer

That first photo is plop cant see anything 

Thanks for the recommendations for the hoses 

There lies the problem with the fan. It will do diddly squat. Mine was the same on the car. I stuck the foam on the rim of the fan and was dubious about it falling off, but has been fine. Fan runs , cools quick and off again like it should do.

2127006540_344Fangapfilled.thumb.jpg.6be2c790f886d02485a11e12445c23bb.jpg

+1 for coolex . speak to Alistair he's really helpful he welded mounting brackets on mine I only had to tell him what make and model the fan was 

I was so pleased with there service I called them again when the radiator on the V16 Cummings generator (which is about 6ft x6ft ) needed removing and rebuilding and once again they came up trumps

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

There lies the problem with the fan. It will do diddly squat. Mine was the same on the car. I stuck the foam on the rim of the fan and was dubious about it falling off, but has been fine. Fan runs , cools quick and off again like it should do.

2127006540_344Fangapfilled.thumb.jpg.6be2c790f886d02485a11e12445c23bb.jpg

Seriously considering just the £10 foam fix now and giving the hoses another year, most are cool, one or two look a bit meh might give them a wipe as well see what they look like . Like i say the car never over heated normal blatting and track driving no issue never over 90ish. Just the traffic and the fan taking too long to get the temp down. 

Thanks for this thread I Had a look at mine last night and whilst I have a good Spall Pull Rad Fan, it is mounted using Westfield frame and so at least 2cm away!

Time for some CAD, Ally snipping and foam work to duct this in! 

6 hours ago, CeeBee said:

Thanks for this thread I Had a look at mine last night and whilst I have a good Spall Pull Rad Fan, it is mounted using Westfield frame and so at least 2cm away!

Time for some CAD, Ally snipping and foam work to duct this in! 

Yep I bought some plastic and I'm going all blue Peter too

Yep, fix the fan issue and see how you get on. A car with a rad. this small will always rely on the fan in traffic as there is only a relatively small volume of water to heat before it needs to start losing heat. If the temperature is under control when "on it" then the rad is doing its' job.

I find the Polo rad perfectly adequate for a tuned Zetec with road use and I'm only on my 2nd one in 18 years and 68K miles. When they fail or get clogged with dead flies it's £40 for a new one. Can't go wrong, unless you do actually need better cooling.

1 hour ago, Kevin Wood said:

Yep, fix the fan issue and see how you get on. A car with a rad. this small will always rely on the fan in traffic as there is only a relatively small volume of water to heat before it needs to start losing heat. If the temperature is under control when "on it" then the rad is doing its' job.

I find the Polo rad perfectly adequate for a tuned Zetec with road use and I'm only on my 2nd one in 18 years and 68K miles. When they fail or get clogged with dead flies it's £40 for a new one. Can't go wrong, unless you do actually need better cooling.

I ve actually bitten the bullet with that too and bought a new polo one for.......£40 lol 2003 was when it was rebuilt so 15 years old . Using the old one to faff about with the foam solution etc put the new one on all, once sorted

3 hours ago, SXRORY said:

I ve actually bitten the bullet with that too and bought a new polo one for.......£40 lol 2003 was when it was rebuilt so 15 years old . Using the old one to faff about with the foam solution etc put the new one on all, once sorted

Hi where did you buy yours from?