Ashbourne, Peak District, Sun 28th Oct

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Meet at Marks and Spencer cafe/toilets, Ashbourne, DE6 1DG at 10.30am for a little wiggle around the Peak District, weather permitting.

Last weekend was all 2 wheels so this weekend will be 4 wheels. See you in Ashbourne.

• Like 1

oooh, look at me all organised this week. I have a plan already, it's not the usual 'make it up on the way on the way home from work on Friday'

The Plan - it's going to be freezing as the wind will be blowing from the North, so get yourself comfy in the M&S cafe with a hot coffee. We will leave at 11ish, no rush, for a very scenic run along those b roads and arrive at The Roaches Tea Rooms for lunch at about 12.30. They serve everything from a roast dinner and fish and chips to oatcakes and sandwiches, not all at once please. I am booking a table on Saturday morning. 

Next we travel the b roads for half hour to the quaint tea rooms in Wetton to cure the calorie deprivation that we will be suffering from at this time. That's it, get home before it goes dark.

DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE YOUR CLOCKS SATURDAY NIGHT

Aiming to get along to this one as well, before it gets to car off the road time later on in the year.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,:d

I have been watching some of the runs that you do and regret not tagging along (if I can),  but I’m not that local to you I will be coming from the top side of Peterborough around 1.45hr/71 mile drive to your meeting point.

just asking how far do people travel to join in on the runs???

Hi Si, we’ll be travelling up from Birmingham ,so about an hour for us, but I know Andrew Clarke travels along way as does Dave Eastwood , but you have to make an effort to enjoy the gain ( cake ) and company. Hope to see you Sunday Andy and Becky

• Like 1

1 hour ago, si_salisbury said:

.....1.45hr/71 mile drive to your meeting point.

Peaks meets are central to many other WSCC areas, and there being great countryside with fine roads and 'cakes' are therfore frequented by many that travel a distance to get there.

The few I've made were around 1:30 hrs, from North of Manchester.

But it's really a question of how far you're willing to drive, which may depend of route/weather/daylight hours/wet weather gear.

I have driven a circuitous route of 2+ hours to get to the Lancs meet, which is actually only 30mins direct :yellow-westy:

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm usually an hour or so, give or take. Except for those events on the eastern/Mansfield side of the Peaks, and then it's an hour and a half or there abouts.

Its all good though. Julie also has an exceptional talent for tweaking the routes slightly on the go, so that we miraculously often end up with similar journeys home, rather than who ever came furthest ending up even further away!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, si_salisbury said:

Hi everyone,:d

I have been watching some of the runs that you do and regret not tagging along (if I can),  but I’m not that local to you I will be coming from the top side of Peterborough around 1.45hr/71 mile drive to your meeting point.

Well worth it. My drive is about 2 hours if start is in Matlock and 2.5  hours to Ashbourne. Brilliant company, food and driving. I went last weekend and don’t have the pass to get out this coming weekend but defo would if I could. How about the GBS event on the 8th December?  Little bit nearer!

• Like 2

Dave makes a good point, I think something that also adds dramatically to the enjoyment, certainly for me, is that the run out to get to the meeting places is so good - I'm often covering the same or similar roads to the ones we do occasionally in the runs. Whereas it's trickier for me to go further North, for example, without ending up doing a long stint on the motorways, or through lots of major towns etc.

Whereas east into the Peaks, or West into Wales I can avoid that and go much more cross country, with much smaller towns and villages.

Good call on the GBS open days. They receive us with nothing but warmth and friendliness, despite how difficult we make it for them to do their social media photos! :laugh:

(It's a really interesting place to visit too.)

3 hours ago, LukeW said:

Hoping to make it for this one.

See you all there if its dry.

Hi buddy, I might be meeting a couple of other Westy at Bassetts Pole Maccys to then drive up to Ashbourne. 

Do you want me let you know if that happens and what time?

• Like 1