Greek red wine, local and drinkable. Such a thing?

Andy Banks

Off to the Ionian Islands for a week, Sivota to Corfu island hopping. Have had really poor luck in the past in finding a decent red wine over there. Quite like smooth, rich wines such as Malbec, Ripasso, Amarone; Waitrose do a decent Shiraz, The Hedonist described as: "Voluptuous, silky red with rich blackberry fruit" as style examples.

I'm no wine snob and know very little about it, I just know what I like and am learning.

So, anyone out there have any recommendations /ones to avoid from their travels...?

2 minutes ago, pistonbroke said:

Forget wine,  get a bottle or two of Ouzo down yer gullet instead  :)

Haha you took the words out of my mouth, just got back from Rhodes 25 to 30 deg every day ,enjoy you holls20181011_221956.thumb.jpg.27347ba872458e573dbd5eddd875de01.jpg

Tony

Another vote for Ouzo.

Smooth, refined, calming, with no bitter aftertaste and absolutely no headache the next day.

In fact very little of anything the next day.

• Haha 1

On my infrequent trips to Greece I usually try and persuade the landlords to treat me to some of their local brew Raki. I usually have to have 3 or 4 or the branded stuff before they realise I genuinely like it and get the good stuff out.

Last visit the host at the local taverna was so impressed by my dipsomaniacal behaviour they gifted me a bottle to take home with me.

• Haha 1

Kokinelli. Originates in the Greek area of Cyprus. So refined after a few you won’t even remember I suggested it.

Some places follow the tradition of decanting to a large jug for your table which will automatically be filled again when empty. Makes it a long night.

Never found a decent wine on my trip to Corfu, did try Retsina and thought it  was ‘orrid.    

Dont drink red wine but found a nice white wine in Cyprus called   Katerina, thats the only part of the name I can remember!

6 hours ago, Olliebeak said:

Dont drink red wine but found a nice white wine in Cyprus called   Katerina, thats the only part of the name I can remember!

Are you sure that’s wasn’t the barmaid?