John Dolan - Wirral & North Wales AO

10 hours ago, Nic (NICO) - Shropshire and Mid-Wales AO said:

Two events :rolleyes:  One early in the year, one later ?

Great idea, Nic. Which one do you want to organise? :westy:

• Haha 1

Hi John, Chester to Kielder Forest Northumberland about 200 miles away. Chester to Haverfordwest Pembrokeshire about 170 miles. Chester to Llandrindod Wells about 80 miles, I think to stay at the Highlandmoor would be to much of a round trip if we went to South Wales.

Jeff

If you choose Pembrokeshire I know it pretty well as I have a house near st David’s ....There are lots of great places to stay in the area and not expensive......some fantastic roads happy to help organise it.

kevin 

On 15/10/2018 at 21:52, jeff the joiner said:

Hi John, Chester to Kielder Forest Northumberland about 200 miles away. Chester to Haverfordwest Pembrokeshire about 170 miles. Chester to Llandrindod Wells about 80 miles, I think to stay at the Highlandmoor would be to much of a round trip if we went to South Wales.

Jeff

Agree, Jeff, further south in Wales would be a good idea.

On 15/10/2018 at 22:43, The 1st welshman said:

If you choose Pembrokeshire I know it pretty well as I have a house near st David’s ....There are lots of great places to stay in the area and not expensive......some fantastic roads happy to help organise it.

kevin 

Thanks Kevin,

Any suggestions for accommodation would be more than welcome. We usually get 6 or 8 cars for our annual trip to Wales.

On 17/10/2018 at 14:36, pistonbroke said:

The Road to Wigan Pier :t-up:

AKA The A49  :)

According to slowhands, that's the road to hell.

Jeff,

If we go that far south, how about crossing the Severn Bridge?

John.

7 minutes ago, bollockybill said:

Jeff,

If we go that far south, how about crossing the Severn Bridge?

John.

If you do, let us know and I’ll try to round up the Bath and Bristol gang to meet up this side? 

John we could do the Severn Bridge and I remember looking into a Transporter crossing a few years back. maybe CeeBee can tell us if its still working?

Jeff 

For those who have suggested the Scottish Highlands and/or Borders, how about making it late August (reduced midgies!) and tack on the Scottish Lowlands Mystery Navigation Run to the start or finish of your trip?!  It’s on Saturday 24th August – 200 miles of twisty B-roads and single tracks, all south of Glasgow, starts at Happingdon Services on the M74 and finishes in Peebles, where there is a good variety of hotel and B&B accommodation and a couple of campsites.

Detailed info of the run to follow soon.

• Like 2

On 20/10/2018 at 18:06, jeff the joiner said:

John we could do the Severn Bridge and I remember looking into a Transporter crossing a few years back. maybe CeeBee can tell us if its still working?

Jeff 

Hi Jeff,

Yes still working out of Newport but closed now until the Spring:

Visit

Opening times

21 March - 30 September 2018

Open Wednesday to Sunday and on all bank holidays from 10am to 5pm.

Last admission to high level walkway at 4pm and last gondola crossing from west to east at 4.30pm. 

Email Transporter.bridge@newport.gov.uk

Follow the Transporter Bridge on Twitter - @NpTbridge

Visitor Centre, Transporter Bridge, Brunel Street, Newport, South Wales NP20 2JY

Prices

• Adult day visitor - £3

• Child day visitor (aged 16 years and under) - £2

Gives access to the high level walk way, the motor house platform and unlimited crossings on the day of purchase.  

Single crossing

Adult - £1.00

Child - 0.50p  

Return crossing

Adult - £1.50

Child - £1.00  

Children aged 2 years and under travel free.

Staff retain the right to refuse access to children and young people not accompanied by an adult.  

Group visits

We welcome pre-arranged group visits. Please download complete and return the group visit request form below and we will get in touch with you as soon as possible.

http://www.newport.gov.uk/heritage/Transporter-Bridge/Visit.aspx

Thanks for the info CeeBee, when I looked into the Transporter-Bridge about six years ago it would carry up to six cars at once, now it looks to carry only foot passengers across

Jeff