Aeroscreen? Should you wear a crash helmet?

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

My wife is always telling me to wear a helmet which I do a lot of the time but on the odd 6 mile commute to work whilst it has been sunny I havent. If I'm going on a dual carriageway or motorway I always do and I make my son wear one wherever we are going.

I did get a rather large bee trapped between the top of my sunglasses and the fold of my woolly hat the other week though :oops: which wasnt very pleasant and scared me a bit as it was buzzing around in my left eyebrow. Thank heavens I managed to get it off.

After the stories above, I think I'm going to take everyones advice (including my wifes, I know I know) and wear mine all the time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RussH said:

Oh dear!

83C80164-FB9B-4DD8-8C5F-665DF905E7B9.gif.eb0794c59c30e4e8bfb2631212b933e6.gif

• Like 2

yeah @markat you gotta watch those bees. My mate, who's allergic to bee-stings was riding his motorbike when he got stung in the neck. He managed to pull over, and get the side-stand sorted... and then woke up two hours later in the bottom of a ditch. Most country roads in New Zealand have drainage ditches either side , and some can be up to 3' deep and full of water so he was lucky he didn't drown. Both he and I have religiously worn a scarf  or neck-thingy ever since when on our bikes.

17 minutes ago, BigSkyBrad said:

yeah @markat you gotta watch those bees. My mate, who's allergic to bee-stings was riding his motorbike when he got stung in the neck. He managed to pull over, and get the side-stand sorted... and then woke up two hours later in the bottom of a ditch. Most country roads in New Zealand have drainage ditches either side , and some can be up to 3' deep and full of water so he was lucky he didn't drown. Both he and I have religiously worn a scarf  or neck-thingy ever since when on our bikes.

crikey! Helmets all the way from now on!

Some very interesting stories there, thank you. While Glen was repairing the wing I took these photo's and the filler shows up nicely how broken your face bones would be. 

DSC06296.JPG

DSC06297.JPG

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

• 1 month later...

I have always driven on the road with just a pair of sunnies or safety glasses, but won’t do it again as there is now a hole in my carbon fibre headrest on the passenger seat from a stone. Terrifying to think what could have happened!!

• Sad 4

Indeed, a chip in my full face helmet, in the area corresponding to where my forehead would have been, with no helmet on, had me feeling quite sick the first time I saw it. At a minimum, I'd have needed stitches, but even if it hadn't knocked me out cold, I can be fairly sure I'd have been dazed enough to have struggled to keep control of the car at the time. 

• Sad 3