Aeroscreen? Should you wear a crash helmet?

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Today I was driving along a country road and a Buzzard flew up from the floor, hit my cycle wing and then the windscreen. It went with a right thud, leaving blood splattered across the screen. It was quite shocking as it was massive and close up but it did make us think, if I had an aeroscreen, what would have happened to Glen? The force was enough to smash the fibreglass in two places, we were lucky to have a windscreen, what would it do to your face? I mean Glen has boyish good looks to protect:d

We have made all the jokes that he would have had a smart feathered cap to wear and why didn't he catch it for the taxidermist, but seriously, things do happen, split second things, there was no swerving, it just flew up as I was level with it and bang.

So, should you wear a crash helmet with an aeroscreened car?

The second split in the fibreglass is just in camera shot at 2 o'clock

DSC06279.JPG

• Sad 1

Just now, Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO said:

So, should you wear a crash helmet with an aeroscreened car?

Yes. Every time.

I had a bee/wasp strike into my fod when I was out in sunnys. That hurt enough for my liking! 

A buzzard at speed would smart a little

I would not normally drive my aeroscreened car without a lid on. In fact only tried once for a short run up the road and didn’t like it at all!

I guess 35 years of biking might help. 

• Like 1

Always a helmet. Even being hit in the eye by rain at 70mph hurts.

I hit a pigeon at speed with my nose cone. Still made a very nasty mess on my helmet. Don't want to think if had no helmet on:o

I'm guilty of driving with just my 'chopper' glasses on in the hot weather with a aeroscreen, just like the open air feel TBH. 

I only tend to wear my helmet if its cold or I'm going on boring dual carriageways/mways.

My m8 sent me a nasty pic last week though,he's a windscreen fitter and went out to the van in the pics:o

IMG-20180929-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20180929-WA0006.jpg

• Like 1

Glad your both ok:yes: but it looks like glen is destined for the garage again in the cold!! I hope the young apprentice will be out there helping him stick her back together!! Take care luv us Xxx ps it could of been one of those cows that took I liking to jumping on you 

Ex biker story, on the way home form a girlfriends house at dusk on a nice familiar straight road in Suffolk, I noticed a pheasant taking off ahead of me flying away at the ridiculous sound of my Honda CB200 with a 2 into 1 Piper exhaust, when I realised it was flying across the road, and immediately applied the brakes and took avoiding action, however the bird made contact with my right knee and then disappeared in a bundle of feathers behind me.

Scared the living 5hit out of me and after a tank slapper I came to a holt and started to nurse my right kneecap which felt like it had been hit with a massive hammer.

Morrell of the story, pheasants are big, heavy, stupid, can't see behind themselves, but resilient as the bl**** thing picked itself up, fluffed its feathers and flew off the other way.

My knee hurt for a couple of weeks afterward, so can only imagine what having something like that hit you in the face.

Think of F1's Rubens Barrichello and that nut that spring him, and think of a leading car flicking up some gravel or something like that at you?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/jul/25/felipe-massa-fernando-alonso-hungarian

Glad you both survived the bird strike and Rita isn't off the road- doesn't look like a helmet will save you either :( https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/21/motorcyclist-killed-pheasant-struck-helmet-60mph/

• Sad 1

I only wear a crash helmet in the winter when the wind chill is too much to handle.Absolutley love the raw feeling ,foam lined chopper glasses ,ear plugs snood and cap a must .Nearly all flies deflected up to roll bar but the odd strike ,stings for a few seconds .Not for everyone I know but to be honest I find the helmet a bit claustrophobic .

I always make the kids wear a helmet though .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy Banks - Chairman said:

Wear a helmet folks :yes:

yes agreed got hit a few times in my previous aeroscreen westy whilst wearing a helmet.. stones/bees/rain/hail etc would not have liked it without

That must have been a shock. Glad you are both OK.

I like my windscreen and side screens :)

Luke.

I wear Wiley X SG-1 goggles on the road as I like the wind in what's left of my hair.   I think I'd find my full-face helmet would be too claustrophobic in traffic in a car.  Never had that problem on motorbikes though. I guess being strapped into a car limits your movement.  I have been thinking about an open face helmet with a visor though.  That would give facial protection, be less claustrophobic and help reduce wind noise.  Always meant to get some custom made ear plugs but not got around to it.

On the bird-strike stories - years ago on my Moto Guzzi I was riding past some hedges close to the road at, shall we say, a good rate when a blackbird flew out. I ducked but it was too late and the bird hit me square in the face. I was wearing an open face helmet and goggles instead of my usual full-face helmet, and the impact felt like a cricket ball fresh off the bat. Blood and guts all down the front of my jacket and across my face. Didn't stop as I was late for meeting up with friends but I found out later it had split my nostril. :d

And that was just a blackbird. A pheasant or buzzard doesn't bear thinking about.

Edit to add- it also loosened two teeth, so my not wearing a helmet is probably flying in the face of experience :down:

• Sad 1

I had a near miss with a small deer at Knockhill a few years ago. I didn't actually see it at the time, but Jeff C who was following me at the time, said it ran across just behind my car. Hitting a fully grown deer in a Westy doesn't bare thinking about.. I doubt a helmet or even a windscreen would give much protection.

vlcsnap-28092.jpg.eb6e3e9a16163eddde80ebeae2feea88.jpg

Bambi makes an appearance at about 10mins in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDrtTVY9EQg